Estrogen's side effects? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estrogen's side effects? Estrogen's side effects?

Unread 09-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Question - Estrogen's side effects? Estrogen's side effects?

Hi sisters

I hope I am posting in the right place.

Doc put me on Estradiol 1 mg right after surgery (BSO).

I decided last week not to take it anymore.

What exactly ARE the minor and major side effects of estrogen, in my case, estradiol, which I am told is the same exact thing.....

Thanks
Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Estrogen's side effects?

Since you are on oral estrogen you could have elevated cholesterol. Oral hormones are harder on the liver. This is why I chose transdermal.

Other side effects would be from too much or too little estrogen, not necessarily from the estradiol itself.
Unread 09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Estrogen's side effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJen
Since you are on oral estrogen you could have elevated cholesterol. Oral hormones are harder on the liver.
Actually, oral estrogen IMPROVES the lipid profile, it does not make it worse. In particular, it lowers LDL and raises HDL, both of which are good changes; transdermal estradiol has no effect on lipids:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1038601

(((Laurie))) The package insert that would have come with your estradiol has a list of potential "side effects". However, that doesn't mean you would have experienced any of them. You may, however, experience a lot of side effects of NOT using any estrogen replacement. I would encourage you to talk with your DR about discontinuing it, because he/she may want to prescribe some other medications to preserve your bone health and help you deal with menopausal symptoms.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Estrogen's side effects?

Surferbabe is right - estrogen in pill form doesn't lower LDL or raise HDL much but it doesn't raise triglycerides and that is a good thing! Transdermal methods do not have as great a risk for clots.

Surferbabe I went to the website you provided. Can you tell me how the 2 mg and 50 up of estrogen compare?

Thanks,

Teresa
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Estrogen's side effects?

What made you decide not to take it? Were you having side effects? Just curious.

I have tried to live without my patch but I can't stand the hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Estrogen's side effects?

Oh wow! Thanks for correcting me! Am I thinking of another hormone? Where did I get that from?
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Estrogen's side effects?

Hello - I meant in Transdermal form estrogen doesn't lower LDL or raise HDL! I think it still has a positive effect but not as great as the pills do - but triglycerides go up with pills and do not with the patches and creams. Dr. Vliet's book talks a little bit about this and I think there are many advantages to transdermal.
Unread 09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Estrogen's side effects?

Testosterone is the hormone which can negatively impact liver function and lipid profile. That's why if we're using it, we should have those things monitored regularly.

The 50 micrograms of transdermal estrogen is basically a .05 mg/day patch (see Table 1 here: http://www.aafp.org/afp/981015ap/vanwinte.html ). 2mg of oral estradiol is equivalent to a 0.1mg/day patch, so women in the study I cited were actually getting more estrogen if they took the oral form.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register