More and more concerns...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More and more concerns...... More and more concerns......

Unread 09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
More and more concerns......

The closer I get to 9/23 the more questions, more concerns and more afraid that I get. I've been reading WAY too much mainly about the pros and cons of leaving the ovaries. Prior to my reading of this topic lately, my biggest concern was the possibility of prolapse in the future. I had almost come to terms with this when the OVARY problem came up again.

How have you who has been told that ovaries needed to come out, worked through this? I have no family history due to adoption so don't know if I'm at risk for this type of cancer. My age (60) is against me BUT I've read that a hysterectomy actually reduces your chance of ovarian cancer.

If I determine that I definitely want the big "O's" left, how do I approach my doctor. Guess I just say "Do what is necessary with everything else but leave the ovaries unless they look problematic.

I'm sorry for this post. Just feel that I should be more resigned to all of this and actually I was until yesterday.

Oh well.........two weeks from now I just might be home and recovering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM

what is the reason your dr feels they should be removed?
i was certain i didnt want my ovaries removed and actually told my surgeon at my pre-op not to remove them (or my cervix) for any reason, other than to save my life. if he saw a problem, i wanted to be told of the problem after my hysterectomy and i wanted to be able to make a decision about removing them afterwards. i feel very strongly that our bodies run on the hormones our ovaries provide us with (even the small amounts after menopause). if you have made the decision to keep them, just let your dr know that you have researched your options and have made a decision. good luck with whatever you choose to do..its a very personal decision and you need to do what you are most comfortable doing
Unread 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM

I am not in the medical profession, so this is just my opinion...

Removing the ovaries is certainly a difficult decision. Unfortunately I have no choice in the matter. I have been doing a ton of research regarding surgical menopause, since that is what I will be dealing with two weeks from now. Based on what I have read, if there is any way that you can keep them, you should try to do just that! However, if there is even the slightest chance that you may end up having them removed sometime down the road, you may want to consider taking them out now. This surgery is no fun, and if you can avoid having to go through it twice, that may be a good option.

Best wishes, and sorry that you are having to face this difficult decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2008, 03:22 PM

I am 30 and dealing with the ovary issue as well. Here is an interesting website you might find useful.

http://ovaryresearch.com/
Unread 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM

I am 47 TAH/BSO and I have to be truthful and say that I don't understand at 60 why you would consider keeping your ovaries since you are undergoing surgery anyway. I don't think they serve any purpose at 60 and are are simply a hazard possibly entailing other surgeries in the future. I don't know why you are having a hysterectomy but am assuming there are cancer cells present. Good luck with it all and I would ask a direct question like: are my ovaries any use to me whatsoever? No Doctor can acurately predict the future but certainly the chance of ovarian cancer is zero if they are removed. And if they are not working anyway....
Unread 09-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwoman2
No Doctor can acurately predict the future but certainly the chance of ovarian cancer is zero if they are removed.
Oophorectomy doesn't completely remove the risk of ovarian cancer.

Prophylactic oophorectomy reduces, but doesn't completely eliminate, ovarian cancer risk. Because ovarian cancer usually develops in the thin lining of the abdominal cavity that covers the ovaries, women who have had their ovaries removed can still get a similar but less common form of cancer called primary peritoneal cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00293.html
Unread 09-13-2008, 06:00 AM

Ovaries continue producing hormones all our lives, even with post-menopausal women, so they do serve a purpose. Also, I'm generally against removing anything that is healthy due to a possible future risk. For example, I don't hear of removing prostates becoming common in men because they might someday become cancerous. Yes, a second surgery would be additional trauma, but removing something that may or more importantly, may not, become cancerous, may be an unneeded trauma.
Unread 09-13-2008, 07:27 AM

The reason for my surgery is to remove a cyst that was discovered (I think it was called a hemmoraghic cyst) that is the size of an orange. I have pain only rarely, like a couple of times a year. I mentioned it to my doctor when I ws wondering why (8 yrs. after my last period) I have occasional pain in my ovary area. Also have a bloated feeling. Ovarian cancer came to mind.

After an transvaginal ultrasound showed a mass I went for a CAT scan and the above was discovered. I was told that it wasn't cancer BUT I still worry. My doctor said that an abdominal incision would have to be made and while he was in there that it only made sense to remove everything preventing cancer of uterus, ovaries & cervix in the future.

I meet with him on Tuesday and have my pre-op done then and plan to talk with him about this. When all of this was discovered I was in shock and then we were out of town on vacation for three weeks along with husband undergoing melanoma surgery. I trust my doctor and know that he is just trying to prevent future problems due to my age and having no medical history. I've read so much about the removal of ovaries and heart disease.

Oh well..........will just discuss all of this with him and I appreciate so much all of your resonses.
Unread 09-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Hi Reijo,
I thought I was happy with my Dr. decision to remove my ovaries and cervix but, I have been doing some research too. The Dr felt that at 49 and very perimenopausal I should just lose my ovaries while he does the hysterectomy. Just because of my age, but there is no history of ovarian cancer in my family. The more I read and I did read the same site that Lookingforasis suggests also.
The more it is proven that we get estrogen from our ovaries way into our 80's. CSoren is right with that one.
Its your decision ultimately but read that site and then mull it over.
Good luck with your decision. I have made mine to keep my ovaries and cervix if they look healthy.
Unread 09-13-2008, 09:50 PM

I was happy with my ovaries being taken. They were nothing but trouble for years. Just ups and downs of hormones, migraines etc. They didn't have an even amount of hormones.

I feel better having them out. I didn't want to have surgery later to have them. I feel so much better now. What a difference. That is just my experience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register