asking for pain medication.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

asking for pain medication.... asking for pain medication....

Unread 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
asking for pain medication....

Hi all... I just wanted to ask your opinions on something...

I'm about to start my period... thank goodness, this will be the last one. Yesterday the pain started... by sunday I will be curled up in a ball... I'll be in pain for the next week if not longer. My husband told me to call my doctor and ask for pain medication. I just don't know if this is a good thing to do. I figure, if they thought I needed pain medication, wouldn't one of the doctors given it to me? I've told them all how much pain I'm in and none of them have ever offered it.

Also, the doctor who is doing my hysto is my second opinion doctor. I choose him over my regular obgyn to do the hysto becauase of location. I do plan on seeing him as my regular gynocologist after the hysto because he is in the city I live in, and my other doctor is 4 hours away (my other doctor is in my home town and I've seen him for 23 years).

BUT, when I talked to my regular obgyn about the pain, he said there wasn't anything he could give me. And my new doc didn't offer.

Should I get my hopes up and call and ask...? What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2008, 03:12 PM

Audra — Call. Ask.
The worse they can say is 'no.' And you have every right to find out. Remember — the doctor works for you. His job is to help you. You always have to be your own advocate . . . don't wait for something to be offered. Ask away!!!

(I can't stress this enough — you may be surprised!)

Good luck. Julie
Unread 09-12-2008, 03:17 PM

Call your new doc and tell them like this:

"I really need Dr.... to call in a prescription for me. I have been using OTC's and they do NOT help." have the phone number to the pharmacy ready!

I am on darvocet right now. But, I dont take it daily. Just when the pain is really bad. But, you HAVE to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2008, 03:22 PM

I would ask for pain meds. Make sure you let them know how much pain you are in.
Unread 09-12-2008, 06:17 PM

As everyone else has suggested, call your gyn and ask for the pain meds! Obviously your pain is affecting your sweetie pie since HE is telling you to call the doc! Please, do this for yourself and your sanity!!!
Unread 09-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Please call for your meds. Most docs will not give you anything unless you ask (I know, I work in a hospital!). There is no reason for you to be in such pain. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 09-13-2008, 09:26 AM

I agree you should definitely call and let them know how much pain you're in. There is no need for you to suffer like this! Good luck, and hope you feel better soon!
Unread 09-13-2008, 10:52 AM

My doctor had me on anaprox which basically is like taking 4 aleve BUT much easier on your tummy...and it really did help with the discomfort and took the edge off...but didn't make me woozy from it actually being a pain pill.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register