A Big Thanks!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Big Thanks!!!! A Big Thanks!!!!

Unread 08-10-2001, 02:46 AM
A Big Thanks!!!!

I am as well really glad that I found this site. I actually found it through WebMD's site. Today I am a little more relaxed with the situation, and reading your input has really lessened the strain on the brain. I do believe that I will go through the Cone procedure, but have the samples go to two different labs for evaluation, almost like a second opinion and then go from there. What makes me frustrated is my PAP from last year was normal so they say (I did manage to get a copy of it) but from what I am reading is it takes years for the dysplasia to get this far. So what happened...thats the questions I am now asking. Does anyone know if these labs keep the slides or are they gone forever??? I want to thank you for helping me decide where to go. If you dont mind I would like to keep you posted. Maybe in a few months I can change my user ID to Whoo Hoo . Thanks Again to all who responded and I hope you are all doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2001, 04:05 AM
A Big Thanks!!!!

Hi , I am so happy that we have been of some help. I hope everything goes smoothly for you with the cone . I am not sure about the dysplasia taking years , I know in my case it was an aggressive type. So I suppose each one is different. Also ,the pap test is not perfect, sometimes cells are not easily obtainable , are missed or some samples are hard to interpret. We are lucky that it has been caught in an early stage. Please do keep us informed .When a hystersister posts here she becomes part of our little group and we really care about her and like to know the outcome. Much love always x x
Unread 08-10-2001, 04:39 AM
A Big Thanks!!!!

Hi! So glad that you have come to a decision you are comfortable with. And yes, please keep us posted.

As Robyn said, PAP's are not perfect. They are only a screening tool. And I recently read some information about them that really made me look at them again. A PAP is accurate only about 80% of the time. That's why we go in every year--in case in wasn't accurate. And when you have a PAP come back normal, what that means is that you are at low risk of developing cervical cancer within the next 5 years. That's all it means. I guess I always had higher expectations than that. It certainly makes me more aware that I need to be diligent.

I'm not sure about dysplasia being slow growing. I know that (in most cases) it takes a long time to go from dysplasia to cancer, but it seems like dysplasia can almost develop overnight. I had normal PAPs every 3 months for 2 years, then my next one (3 months later) was CIN 3. So, was it not there all that time it read normal? Or was it there and I just fell in that 20% that are missed? Who know? What's important is, I know it's in my history and I'll be watching.

Oops--I didn't mean to run on. Good luck with everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2001, 05:52 AM
A Big Thanks!!!!

So glad to hear that you have made a decision that you seem comfortable with! It would be nice to hear from you again, so yes please keep us posted! It is good to hear that your results will be read by more than one doctor too! Take care and the best of luck to you!
Unread 08-11-2001, 08:07 PM
A Big Thanks!!!!

I understand what your thinking....I was faithful every year with my paps, and never had an abnormal until a year ago. Then the ball started rolling and never stopped. I asked my Dr. how I could go from "normal" to high grade dysplasia so fast. She didn't have a good answer. She said it could take 6 mo to 20 years to develope. I am curious if my past paps were correct, but am thankful I found a new Dr. I trust and feel comfortable with. For me I think this is one of those things I'll never fully understand, but I'm on the road to accepting it.

I wish you all the best with your cone. I hope it will be the answer for you!
Unread 08-12-2001, 06:50 AM
A Big Thanks!!!!

I had never had an abnormal pap either. I had a TVH for CIN3 on 7/16.

I had some confusing results from my pap to the colp. biopsies to the cervical cone. My doctor decided to send all of my slides to a gynecological pathologist, including normal ones from previous years. In the states, because of all the misread paps....and in years past there were many, the labs are required to keep our slides, I believe its 5 years if not longer!! Cervical cancer is still hard to read, because the pap only takes a small sampling. Which is why they suggest we go every year, so odds are with us, it will eventually get caught. Scary, but true.

Good Luck with your cone!!
Unread 08-12-2001, 09:03 AM
A Big Thanks!!!!

A sense of making a decision is such a good feeling!

As for dysplasia, maybe it helps to remember that it's a vague term. It really just means iffy cells. It's a continuum from normal to cancer. Also, our immune systems have a certain amount to do with all this. Apparently we develop iffy cells all the time, but most of the time there aren't that many and our immune system kills them off. But when the cells start to multiply or our immune system can't keep up, suddenly we have a medical condition.

And actually, the medical community is praying that it could find something as effective as Pap smears for the other forms of cancer which can't be caught until they are fully cancerous and large enough to be seen on x-rays with the best of screening. If they could catch breast cancer or prostate cancer when it was at the cellular stage, it would be a whole new ball game.

Thin pre Pap tests might be more effective because usual Pap tests are difficult to read because there are blook, bacteria and other cells that they inevitably pick up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register