Rectocele surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele surgery Rectocele surgery

Unread 09-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Rectocele surgery

Hi Everyone,
I had a hysterectomy with a bladder sling last November 26. Lately I have been feeling a bulge when showering and I can even see it.

This thing has caused some "life issues" for me. To put it delicately, some intimacy issues and some bathroom habit issues.

I went to see my Dr. this morning and found that I have a stage 3 rectocele and will have surgery a week from Monday, (Sept. 29) It will be done with mesh.

Can any of you who are experienced in this tell me what to expect? Please. The doc's secretary who was scheduling the surgery told me I would be out of work for six weeks. Ouch!!

Also, I at first thought that this would be just a simple out-surgery, wake up, go home, be alright. But the Dr. said that I would be in the hospital for at least one day, and that after they took the cath out the next morning, if I could use the bathroom I could go home.

During my recovery from my previous surgery, I didn't have much pain at all. Just got an infection and felt lousy. Does the pain with this surgery compare? If so, I think it'll be a breeze.
Thoughts and advice would sure be welcomed.
Thanks,
Jazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Rectocele surgery

jazzibell--

Personally, I think the surgery to repair the posterior vagina, or rectocele surgery, is a little bit harder to recover from. I've had both myself. If you look the term up here at Hyster Sisters (using the Google Search in the blue rectangle at the top right), you will most likely also find that the posterior repairs can cause a bit more recovery time and possibly more pain than do the anterior/cystocele repairs. I'm not sure exactly why that is, though. Possibly because many rectocele repairs include a perineoplasty along with them? I don't know for sure. Mine included this and I remember having a bit more pain with that area than before. [I was also prescribed epifoam that sure seemed to help a LOT so ask for some of those kinds of things if you need them.]

Now, some women do NOT have this so much either and you may be one of those, too. It may be a good indicator when you say you didn't have much pain before. It's also a good idea to look up the surgery and see everything you can find out about it.

As far as the particular technique, has your doctor said exactly what will be used for you surgery? I don't know if that has any bearing on the amount of pain or not but I'm sure you can also look up those statistics (if you search hard enough--I go to pubmed.gov for many of these types of things).

I wish you the very best in your search for info!

S......
Unread 09-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Rectocele surgery

Thanks, OrahDeb,
I really appreciate your response. What is epifoam? I have never heard of that, but will want anything that will make it feel better.

I've been taking your advice and looking up information. Golly! somethings I've seen have made my eyes hurt!

Oh well, it'll be worth it to get rid of this thing ... I hope.

And another thing ... when my doc (I just love him) was typing the information into the computer about my condition, I distinctly heard him say a stage 4 rectocele. But all of the information I've read says the stages are I, II, & III. Nothing about a stage 4.

Has anyone else ever been diagnosed with a 4, or maybe doc just uttered the wrong thing. A lot of what he was saying I didn't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Rectocele surgery

Ask your doctor or pharmacist about Epifoam. It's a numbing foam that helps with pain in the perineal area. It's usually prescribed for women who've just given birth--often for the stitches they may have from an episiotomy.

A really advanced prolapse with a 'higher' number tends to be further down in the vaginal canal. The higher the number, the closer it is to the outside of the vaginal opening. Sometimes the prolapse actually goes outside the body. Those are usually the +4 or more prolapses. It's usually pretty rare. If that is the case with you, I'm kind of surprised they haven't already done surgery on you. They usually won't wait this long to schedule a surgery for such a condition since it causes such pain and usually immense irritation and often infection. I hope you are coping okay?

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery. Did your doctor say what kind of mesh he was using? I'd be cautious about the synthetic types myself and go for a biologic type if given the choice. (Be sure to ask--there's more of a risk of erosion with the synthetics even though it is still relatively small overall. Having suffered mesh erosion myself, I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through that if they could possibly avoid it.)

Sending extra {{{Hugs}}} and good vibes.......
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Rectocele surgery

Thanks for the advice, hugs, and especially the good vibes.

Mine isn't outside, but with a mirror I can see it, and after a bm (when I can have one) it seems to be almost outside. I can push it back up. You're right though, it does cause irritaiton and I have had numerous infections since my original surgery.

Maybe I'll be care-free again after this surgery.

I am "willing" it so.
Unread 09-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Rectocele surgery

Well, tomorrow is the day. I can't wait to get this over with and get back to my life.

I do a lot of graphic design work and will be working here at home after my surgery. What I'm hoping is that I will have the surgery done tomorrow, come home from the hospital on Tuesday - take that day and just rest, and then be up Wednesday morning working.

I know I'll be sore for a while and will probably find it a struggle to sit for long periods. Can any one who has had this surgery tell me how long the initial pain lasts?

Also, I had an upset stomach yesterday and took an Alka-Seltzer, and it was only after I took it that I remembered that it contained aspirin. Do you think this would be something that could cause a problem?

I sure would like to hear other's experiences with this surgery.
Thanks to all.
Unread 09-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Rectocele surgery

Stay away from synthetic mesh is right! Go for bovine or porcine and make sure you say that or else you may be looking at a bunch of mesh removal surgeries in your future. Synthetic mesh especially in the posterior area can cause major problems even with your bowels. It's worth delaying the surgery in my opinion to get it done with a biologic graft instead. Good luck!
Unread 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Rectocele surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatt
Stay away from synthetic mesh is right! Go for bovine or porcine and make sure you say that or else you may be looking at a bunch of mesh removal surgeries in your future. Synthetic mesh especially in the posterior area can cause major problems even with your bowels. It's worth delaying the surgery in my opinion to get it done with a biologic graft instead. Good luck!
Hi, please tell me what kind of problems synthetic mesh can cause for your bowels . Thanks ! Tracy
Unread 09-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Rectocele surgery

Synthetic mesh is known for erosion issues when used as graft material for the posterior wall. It can erode right through not only your vaginal tissue but your bowels too. That being said most urogynecologists will NOT use it anymore and use a biological graft like bovine or porcine. I know someone who had the bovine and has held up for 5+ years. There are many research papers published online about this you should look it up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register