Borderline Ovarian Cancer - Is it Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Borderline Ovarian Cancer - Is it Cancer Borderline Ovarian Cancer - Is it Cancer

Unread 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Borderline Ovarian Cancer - Is it Cancer

Was diagnosed with 'borderline ovarian cancer' during a cyst (19cm) removal and ended up with TAH/BSO, appendectomy (I don't understand why) and lymph node samplings as well. They staged it at IIc, but recommended no further treatment. The doc stresses 'non-invasive type of ovarian cancer' with no further treatment, just follow ups, but is it really cancer? Is it right to call it cancer? The minute they use the "cancer' word you get cancerhead (I love that post) and its pretty scary. I'm getting my final path report on Monday (2nd opinion path) and I'm sure it'll be the same as the first, but why is it called cancer? I'm so confused, is it really cancer or just a benign tumor? I've read a lot on-line and I'm still confused...any words of wisdom out there would really be appreciated - thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2008, 09:55 PM

dear mich...sorry i can't help you with your question. just wondering if you had a gynecological oncologist perform the surgery? i'm glad you're getting a 2nd opinion on the pathology report...please make sure you get copies for yourself so you can read and research further. there might be differences of opinion as to whether you should have "no further treatment" or opt to have treatment. wishing you good luck. please let us know how it goes. take care.
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:09 PM

yes, gyn onc did surgery (he was wonderful) and i'm going to get both path reports and surgical reports on Monday when I go for 6 week check up - just very confusing terminology and I can't seem to stop thinking about it - get all wrapped up in that word and treatment plan or lack or is also confusing me. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2008, 02:27 AM

I can kind of answer to the "why the appendectomy." It was explained to me that IF cancer were to travel and recur somewhere in the abdomen that the appendix is a common place for that to happen. Or, if an infection were to happen that would become a very vulnerable area. At first I thought why are they disturbing my appendix, and then they asked me why do I want it still in me? Other than being the earth-mama that I am I couldn't come up with a good enough answer. Plus, now I know I will never have to have an emergency appendectomy. Personally, I haven't missed it one bit.

It's good that you have a gyn/onc's opinion. I hope your path results prove to be uneventful. Best to you.
Unread 09-26-2008, 03:20 AM

Hi Mich,
I was diagnosed with borderline cancer of the peritoneum (lining of the abdominal cavity) 6 years ago. Apparently ovarian and peritoneal cancers have similar symptoms and are treated in much the same way. I was told that for it to be technically classed as cancer it would have to be invading the surrounding tissue, which it wasn't at that time. My Onc said in my case that it could stay borderline forever or could one day turn into full blown cancer.
I'm sorry you're going through this, good luck on Monday and let us know how you get on s Rachel x
Unread 09-26-2008, 03:47 AM

Hello again Mich, I've just found this on the internet for you. Hope it helps, Rachel.

"Tumors of low malignant potential (LMP tumors)

These tumors do not clearly appear to be cancerous when looked at under the microscope. They are also known as borderline tumors.......They grow and spread slowly and are less life-threatening than most ovarian cancers."

Taken from the American Cancer Society .
Unread 09-26-2008, 01:43 PM

thank you all for the info - its all so confusing, but clarity will come I'm sure - especially once I get the reports! I'm sure its all going to be fine, at least I'll rest a little easier (hopefully) after Monday - I'll keep you all posted!
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM

I had my hyst in 2000. Originally I was told I had Stage Ic Ovarian Cancer. It was later changed (after second and third opinions by other pathology teams) to Borderline. I was told that "watchful waiting" was recommended. The first two years post-op, I saw my doctor every three months for a pelvic exam, then every six months for the next 10 years. I did not require chemo either. My doctor told me the same thing. Borderline is a slow-growing type tumor and the chances of my getting a recurrence were 6 to 7%. If that would happen, they would do surgery again because chemo does not respond to this type of tumor. So far I am doing well. Hope you have similar news at your doctor visit.
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:06 PM
children mentioned

Hi there

I also have borderline ovarian cancer that was diagnosed 2.5 years ago. It is also known as low malignant potential ovarian cancer. I was diagnosed after going thru invitro and hyperstimulating my ovaries so severely I developed a syndrome called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome---there is alot of controverse in my case most doctors believe is caused it or pulled in out me that some that may or may not have happen eventually---anyways when I was pregnant with my twins 2 weeks prior to delivery a 10 cm mass was found we just figured it was a follicle left over from the hyperstimulation that had scarred up and was left over. After I delivered the twins in shrunk and my gyn removed the mass and left ovary. He didn't think much about but routinely sends things off to 2 separate places (beside the hospitals lab) and one lab found less then a centimeter of this borderline there. I then thought if 2 places missed it, I want another opinion and sent in off to john hopkins and they confirm the borderline---then the fear begain then later gain as much knowledge as I could to gain control.

First I want to say there is not alot out there as far as reading matterial or research, but what I can tell you is there are 4 types---2 of them being the most common types there are serous cell and mucinous cell. Serous cell there are still more break down of types of those types one of those types are a bit more higher risk of turning into an ovarian cancer or acting like a cancer. Mucinous---actually can be tricky because it is similar to a desease called pseudomyxoma peritoni. Which my brother in law had (yes brother in law from his appendix) it is like mucus that sticks to various place in the abdominal cavity and it eventually strangulate like in his case appendix and gall bladder. They only gave him a 10% survival rate past 10 years because he had the more aggressive and resistent form of this and he was treated with aggressive surgery and is 12 years out with no evidence of any disease so far. The other 2 types are endometrioid and clear cell. I have the endometrioid cell. There is not much on my cell.

Other then having my left ovary removed, and just getting my ovaries ultrasound about every 3-6 months and I only get my CA 125 done 1 time a year. But the general recommendation is a follow up ultrasound every 3 month with Ca 125. I don't do the CA 125 because mine have been negative with borderline they tend to be. So why do it! Ultrasounds we do every between every 3-6 months. I still haven't had a hysterectomy which is the general recommendation. I have 3 young kids and they still need a lot of picking up and my both my gyn and gyn/onc have given me there blessing to wait till the kids are older because I don't have enough help at home. If I had other certian types of serous or mucinous I probably would have had it done by now.

*I would urge you to learn everything you can about the type you have.
*If you only have had one lab diagnosis you with this---get another opinion because labs do make error and sometimes it is worse or better.
*Know that we are very lucky we don't have full blown ovarian cancer, but it has a small chance to turn into full blown so we will be watched for life.
*Borderline can comeback but it is usually soooo slow growing that usually surgery is the treatment of choice still and the other gal is right chemo at this point is not usually effective. Chemo is more effective on fast growing, aggressive well differianting cells.

I have learned to live with it, after just having kids and then thinking surgical menopause in the same breath was just unbelievable to me. when I first was diagnosed I was on another site before I found this one, and the ovarian cancer women let me have it (they were angry at me) because I was so scared about hysterectomy, sexuality, menopause with young kids and felt I should feel lucky---but hey when they first give you the diagnosis all you hear is cancer and have yourself dead and buried.

These women on this site have great and understand and I want to thank them again how wonderful there were to me 2 years ago when I came on here soooo scared they were very supportive and made me feel like it would be okay just take it a day at time.

Best of luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register