cervix or no cervix, that's the question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervix or no cervix, that's the question cervix or no cervix, that's the question

Unread 09-26-2008, 01:22 PM
cervix or no cervix, that's the question

i just had a talk with my gyn. hyst set for first week in oct., she can perform the LSH but has no training in TLH. should i keep my cervix? i have never had an abnormal pap. at the moment, i have a cyst, and thick lining in my uterus. which is not the first time for either. after my colonoscopy, i am now having heavy vaginal bleeding and cramps. she wants me to start on provera, which gives me problems. i am now totally confused. i was so psyched about the TLH. now what?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2008, 01:26 PM

if you google cervix removal or do a search on the lsh, you can read lots of benefits that some dr's feel you can have from keeping your cervix. none are medically proven but when i read them they made perfect sense to me and i didnt want my healthy cervix removed. its also a quicker recovery...the top of your cervix will be cauterized. if you have it removed, the top of your vagina is stitched. its really a personal preference with no right or wrong answer. do the research and make an informed decision and you'll do the right thing for you.
Unread 09-26-2008, 01:33 PM

thank you so much..........just when u think you've read everything. lol
i have more homework to do.

thank you much
love and peace syster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Hi hysteready50!

A fairly recent scientific study shows that hysterectomy patients who have their cervix removed are no more likely to experience sexual difficulties or urinary or bowel problems after surgery than women who have only their uterus removed. You can read more about it here:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which means my cervix was removed. Prior to having my hysterectomy, while going about my daily routine of life, I never was “aware” of my cervix, just as I am unaware of other internal organs. So losing my cervix hasn’t made any difference to me. (Except that I never need to have annual PAP smears, which is a relief since that's not an activity I ever enjoyed.)

Others, who retained their cervix, claim that keeping it has been a benefit to them. However, since they have never experienced life without a cervix, they have nothing with which to compare it. Perhaps they would also be pleased with their surgical results if their cervix had been removed.

If you are a patient who has a choice whether or not to keep your cervix, I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you choose the option that ends up being the best one for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:55 PM

I would do some more research if I were you to try and help you out with your decision..I had mine removed and I haven't noticed that its gone! Good Luck!
Unread 09-27-2008, 05:00 PM

thank you all for the great advice. i decided to keep my cervix.

peace and love to my systers
Unread 09-27-2008, 09:52 PM

Hi Hysteready50,

I had a LSH and I am still very pleased with my decision to keep my cervix. My LSH is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 09-28-2008, 12:53 PM

that's what i decided to do, thank you for the input.

peace and love to you
Unread 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM

I kept my cervix since I never had a abnormal pap and my cercix was healthy. I dont mind a pap once a year.
God bless
Unread 09-28-2008, 11:47 PM

If you don't mind me asking hysteready50 (I like your name by the way, I wish I was ready, or I am kinda ready but kinda not) what made you decide to keep your cervix?

I'm kinda confused, still deciding whether to keep my cervix or not. There are pros and cons, I have read abou the benefits and have talked to women and some said they kept their cervix and some didn't. I thought about keeping my cervix for the sole reason of the bladder, I had read it helps hold the bladder up but when I discussed it with my dr. about keeping it or not, he said that it is not medically proven that the cervix helps with the bladder and that it is not proven that it helps with sex. He also said something about malpractice, that a dr. would be open to malpractice,I guess at the dr. practice there which has two other drs. they like to have women have their cervix removed too. I'm thinking this from what the dr. told me and when I talked to the nurse over the phone.

The dr. did say though I could keep it, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm going to discuss it again with him at my pre op appt. on Oct. 9th, since it's all up in the air still, I think it'd be nice not to have to have pap smears anymore as I never was thrilled course to have them, I don't know of any other woman that is either, lol and then I'd not have to worry about cervical cancer either if I'd have the cervix removed. I've never had a abnormal pap smear and always got regularly checked but stil lthere would be a worry if I had to get pap smears still every year. But then I think about what I read about the cervix helping hold the bladder up and that does make sense. I don't want to have any problems later. I will have to decide here pretty soon though as the hysterectomy is coming up soon. I agree it's a personal preference too , but just confused still whether to keep it or not. Decisions, decisions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register