Mr. Cancerhead gets revenge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mr. Cancerhead gets revenge Mr. Cancerhead gets revenge

Unread 10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Mr. Cancerhead gets revenge

I”ve been trying to quash him and ignore him as much as I possibly can the past 2 days, but this evening, Mr. Cancerhead caught me in a weak moment, slipped in and grabbed on with all his might. He’s being an extremely strong bugger right now and is trying to get his revenge on me.

I had my 4 month gyn/onc check-up on Tuesday and mentioned to doc about some new things going on, specifically, occasional blood in my stools. I told him I thought maybe it was a hemorrhoid acting up or a fissure (had that about 10 years ago). So, during his exam, he did some checking but couldn’t find any signs of either. He told me to see my GP and have a colonoscopy. Then he downgraded me back to 3 month check-ups.

Yesterday, I call and set up an appointment with GP for next week and her secretary told me to bring in my usual list of symptoms related to it. That got me thinking of other things I’ve been experiencing, like almost constant bloating, change in bowels, that kind of thing. I thought it was all related to the ever present side effects from the rads.

Last night, DH and I were talking about it and he mentioned cancer. I told him I had thought of that but dismissed it. I was still thinking side effects and maybe scar tissue building up.

Today, I did a really bad no-no. I went online and checked out my symptoms. Surprise to me that I have 5 of the 8 symptoms for colon cancer. Oookaaay. I put that aside and ignored it.

This evening I get home from work and DH tells me he called and spoke with his GI about my symptoms (I was going to use him anyway for the colonoscopy) and doc wants me in ASAP for consultation and testing. DH asked him if it was cancer. Doc said he wasn’t sure, but…

That did me in. That was when Mr. Cancerhead pounced and now won’t let go.

I’m trying not to waste a good panic, but it’s getting harder.

Sorry about the length of this post, but I’m having some serious issues that I know only you ladies can truly understand.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Hi vikingprincess!

Only 5% of people experience colon cancer during their lifetime, so (statistically) chances are that you don't have it.

I had a bout with Stage III Colon Cancer in January of 2007 and I am still "alive and kicking" so even if you do have it...all is not lost. Fortunately, it's among the types of cancer that is either fully curable or has a good chance of being cured if caught early.

I am sending positive thoughts your way for benign results from your colonoscopy. May it turn out to reveal "a whole lotta nuthin."
Unread 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM

Awwww hon It does sound like some of the symptoms can also be related to the rad-effects. I'm 2 years out and STILL can't eat normally. I had to find a new 'normal. But I know that once the thoughts start rolling...it's hard to stop them. I stressed for 2+ weeks about tests and results and possibilites. It wasn't until I said "my stress isn't going to change the outcome." If anything, it only makes it worse.

Try to take some time out for yourself each day. A few moments to sit and clear you head. A few moments to just smile and enjoy being in the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Thinking about you...........I don't have many side affects post radiation--I guess I am one of the fortunate ones--however I know women that do and your symptoms very well could be relalated to the trauma that radiation imposes on our bodies. Keep your chin up and try to distract yourself until you know what is going on. XOXOXOX
Unread 10-03-2008, 06:27 AM

sweetie,

I hate that Mr. Cancerhead! I know it's hard, but you must find a quiet place and meditate on the POSITIVE. You MUST squash that Mr. Cancerhead into little itty bits and tell him to hit the road. Lay off the 'net research and let your doc guide you into the next steps of reassurance and healing.

Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with what happens when Cancer Head rears its butt-ugly head, and you can't let it get the upper hand.
Kick it to the curb and hold onto all our strength and sunshine until you send that troll packing.

Good luck, try not to worry, and know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

xoxo
Unread 10-03-2008, 07:59 AM

vikingprincess,

I hate that stupid cancerhead, once he gets a good grip he won't let go! Try to kick him to the curb! I had a colonoscpy done in March because I had been experiencing some of the same things that you are. Mine came back clean and most of the issues have cleared up and I have been told that they could be related to radiation. I was then tested for Lynch syndrome (MSH6 gene) and of course tested positive which was no real surprise to me. Try and hang in there! I will be saying extra prayers for you.

's
Barb

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Unread 10-03-2008, 09:47 AM

I am so sorry you are going through this. I don't know if this helps, but I will share an experience of somebody I know. She was bleeding, and I MEAN BLEEDING ALOT after her bm's, along with the bloating, and the other symptoms, the bleeding was really bad from the rectum. I was for sure she had cancer, also given the fact she had lost alot of weight without trying and losing her apetite. She had her proceedure and thank GOD it was not cancer, I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I do know it wasn't cancer. I think the weight loss and loss of apetite was due to the extreme stress of trying to get the proceedure done as she was uninsured and it took forever to have this done (over 3 months to get it scheduled through the free clinic!). I pray that you will have the same outcome, it is possible. Again, I am so sorry you are going through this.
Unread 10-03-2008, 02:01 PM

So sorry to hear about your discomforts. Try to Breathe! Maybe it's diverticulitis (which nobody would wish for either). My cousin who had a hysterectomy and then years later breast cancer (probably cause of HRT) gets bouts of diverticulitis. It's still horrible as far as I am concerned, but her colonoscopies return clear and not cancer. Best to you! --Terri
Unread 10-03-2008, 05:22 PM

Oh you poor dear, I'm with Vega&mccann I still have radiation effects that pop up out of nowhere it seems.. They were getting worse and I thought it was hemmeroid related. Dr wanted, just in case, Colonoscopy, came back clean, helped hemmoroid issue. For me this summer when I took on a good regular walking schedule and a much more healthy consistent diet especially fruits and veges added things are a whole lot better for me. I still get flare up now and then, but it isn't as bad as that constant bloated feeling. It's so hard to shake when it gets you( cancerhead) just try to hang in there. hugs to you and yours!!
Unread 10-04-2008, 12:11 AM

Vickingprincess - I'm praying for only the best for you - put on your best warrior make-up and visualize cancerhead being kicked into the next century. He's messing with the wrong gal.....hang in there!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register