Best HRT for Endometriosis sufferers...Awaiting TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Best HRT for Endometriosis sufferers...Awaiting TAH/BSO Best HRT for Endometriosis sufferers...Awaiting TAH/BSO

Unread 10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Best HRT for Endometriosis sufferers...Awaiting TAH/BSO

I'm due to have TAH/BSO on October 29th....never posted before but have spent hours reading invaluable advice to prepare me for this! My doctor wants me to go on Prempro or Activella (they both contain estrogen AND progesterone)---he said the progesterone would "counter" effect the estrogen, hoping for the endometriosis not to come back....I'm hoping without my ovaries, whatever "remnants" of endo I have will shrink anyway, but has anyone tried these? Are they pill form or patches? I have a list of questions closer to surgery to ask him, but want some opinions from ladies who KNOW!

I'm 39, have had endo since I was 23, was blessed to have 2 boys and am DONE with all the pain/spotting, etc....

Any advice is greatly appreciated! (as are prayers for upcoming surgery...i'm scared as all get out!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2008, 03:19 PM

I had my TAH in '99 due to endometrosis. I am using an estrogen patch (Climara) 0.1 mg. and otc progesterone cream 14 days of the month. I chose the estrogen patch because it is bioidentical and because patches allow for the smallest possible doses, as do other transdermal methods. Oral doses need to be 80-90% higher due to the first-pass effect of the liver.

Just want to point out that the hrt your doc is proposing contains a progestin, not progesterone.
Unread 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM

I had a TAH/BSO a year ago due to endometriosis at age 35. I am on Femring and a compounded progesterone cream. I chose to go with bioidentical transdermal HRT. Since I will be on HRT for a long time, I knew I wanted to do what is best for me. I recommend Dr Vliet's book, "Screaming To Be Heard" and also Dr Uzzi Reiss' book "Natural Hormone Balance". These books have very valuable information for someone who is about to start HRT. We understand your fear and will be here for you when you go through your surgery! HUGS!!

Oh, I forgot to add that Femring is a vaginal ring, so it would be considered transdermal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2015, 06:06 PM
Re: Best HRT for Endometriosis sufferers...Awaiting TAH/BSO

Hi, I'm 39 and had tah bso due to endo. My doc put me on vivelle dot. I am taking .125. Upped due to mood issues, anxiety, and sleep. She said NO to progesterone and testosterone cream. Said it puts you at higher risks for heart and stroke. To tell you the truth, I feel like I'm just not myself still. I guess we are all different and have to find what's best. Good luck to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register