HELP!! Having major hormone issues! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP!! Having major hormone issues! HELP!! Having major hormone issues!

Unread 10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
HELP!! Having major hormone issues!

I am 37 years old and had my hysterectomy 7 months ago. Had uterus and one ovary removed. Still have the other ovary. A week after surgery, my gyno put me on Enjuvia 0.625 due to severe weakness, dizziness, rapid pulse... basically felt like death! He said that my other ovary may not be functioning properly so the estrogen would help. Within a week of starting it, I started feeling much better. Over the first 5 months I would occassionally get dizzy & was having the occassional migraine. Shortly after, the migraines became daily & intolerable. My doctor lowered my dose to .45. Within a few days the dizziness returned, but the migraines had stopped. Had a constant miserable headache though & have now had that nonstop for 2 months. My doctor put me back on the 0.625 and like clockwork the migraines started again. I had one that was so bad that it was the worst migraine I have ever had & ended up driving myself to the ER for fear that it was something serious & not just from the hormones. The ER ruled out anything life threatening. And my gyno once again dropped my dose to .45. Of course the dizziness got worse, migraine went away. He now has taken me off of Enjuvia altogether. I have not taken it in 5 days. And I feel horrible!! Every day I seem to feel worse. I am so dizzy that I am afraid to drive, am missing work, just can barely function! I am so weak. Also have very strange things going on. Heart is racing again, legs feel heavy & very restless, have a strange twitching when trying to relax or go to sleep. And today I feel a migraine coming on. I actually at times feel as though I am dying!
I would truly like to stay off the estrogen just to see if my one ovary will take over. I did not want to rely on HRT, it was my choice to keep one ovary if possible for that reason.
My question is... has anyone else gone through this??? Could all of these problems simply be from hormone imbalance? I keep hoping that after a short while of being off the Enjuvia that my ovary will take over & things will improve, but I'm not sure if it works that way. I'm sure our bodies go through an adjustment period, but for how long??And my gyno basically has no info for me. He has insisted all along that the headaches & dizziness have NOTHING to do with hormones. He says that I would be having hot flashes. That is the one thing that I DO NOT have at all. He agreed to test my hormone levels after being off of the Enjuvia for 3 weeks, but that is so far away.
Also I have an appt. with another gyno who is a woman, but couldn't get in until mid December. I just feel hopeless! I don't know what to do until then. I feel like I've been on a horrible roller coaster ride since surgery & it just isn't getting any better.
Sorry this was so long, but if anyone has experienced anything like this, I would appreciate a reply. I just don't know what to do. I have 2 children, one of which is 5 years old, and I feel that I cannot even take care of her. I am constantly just lying around feeling miserable!! I need to get on with my life somehow!
Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM

oh sweetie...my story sounds a bit like yours, going throught this now. Did he check your estrogen levels to see where they are at? yours may be even too high, especially if you have one ovary. There are many different estrogen options to try, and they all are very different, even though they are bio-identical. Ive tried several patches, pills, creams and my body feels sicker. Im on a cream right now that gives me not much relief, but the only thing with the least side effects...I know alot of the gals on this site have used femring with great results.....Your doc sounds like my doc. I never had any of the dizziness, heart palps', weakness, joint pains until after my hyster, and he too said its not hormone related? are you kidding me? Glad your going to see a new doc, but oh my..december? I would call there everyday to see if they have a cancellation? good luck
Unread 10-07-2008, 04:15 PM

You should consider another delivery route for your estrogen. Oral dosing may not be for you. You might want to try an estrogen patch to see if that helps alleviate the migraines.

After my hysterectomy, my one remaining ovary never functioned that well. The blood supply often gets disrupted during surgery which can shock the ovary causing it to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2008, 05:06 PM

Also Enjuvia is synthetic. It was the first one I tried, and when those nasty headaches started, I KNEW I had to go bioidentical. I even have trouble with straight estradiol like estrogel or divigel. My best help has come from compounded Biest. Best of luck. I remember being where you are around November of last year...so hard to get appointments, especially with good doctors. You're in my thoughts.
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:34 PM

I agree with the others. Try a bioidenical estrogen, a patch might work best.

I use Climera, the patch. It works very well for me. I am SO SORRY you are so ill.

Please stay positive. You will get better. If your doctor will not help more, find a better doc that will help, with a patch, a half a patch etc. I know you are miserable. Stay hopeful, you just have to find the right amount etc.

A hormone test would be good for sure. Seems you need to know that first.

I can't believe you have to wait so long to see a new doctor. Maybe you can make progress with the old one.

I got horrid migraines etc, with my ovaries since they were not always an even amount as they are for most people. Up and down each month.

I had them taken out and now I can do better with my patch. Easier to get hormones even. I was ill for years and years with migraines and now I do great.

I hope you can get help soon. Not sure why many doctors do not understand side effects of hormones!
Unread 10-08-2008, 05:46 AM

I agree with the other wise ladies....sorry for your suffering... 's.

I think a Dr has a very limited view of surgical meneopause to be able to say 'if your not having hot flashes then it can't be your hormones.' Headaches are one of the most common side effects of hrt and/or hormone imbalance. Dizziness being a close second. Every woman is sooo different. Hrt is a work in progress until you get it right.
Good for you for seeking a new Dr. Can you try calling and ask to be put on their cancelation list and pester them to get in sooner? They usually try their darnedest to be helpful or...call your old Doc while your are waiting and ask for a bioidentical hrt alternative.

Learning from my past experience...My Stay pro-active, educate yourself, ask for what you want, and don't hesitate to ask for help...don't suffer in silence. You deserve to feel better and it will get better.

A great learning tool for me...Screaming To Be Heard, by Elizabeth Vliet MD.
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:06 PM

I have those issues but no hormones. I am so sorry you are having to go through this but am so glad you at least have a dr. that is working with you.
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:23 PM

i am also dealing with alot of your same issues.. i am almost 5 weeks post op.. my dr is being really great about helping ..so just want to say i am thinking about you... and hope we can all feel better soon..i had one dr try to tell me this was not hormones but from surgery meds.. then i had 2 other drs tell me yes this is hormones..your body is going through so much that is has to find its balance..wish you luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register