Hidden Severe Cervical Dysplasia ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hidden Severe Cervical Dysplasia ?? Hidden Severe Cervical Dysplasia ??

Unread 10-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Hidden Severe Cervical Dysplasia ??

Hi this is my first post here! Before I get around to my main question I thought I would give some background information so you could understand why I am posting this in the cancer forum. (I hope this is the right place.)

I am a 34 year old female. I have had cancer in my lung previously. I am six years out from that diagnosis. I had surgery to remove my entire left lung and several lymph nodes follwed by six weeks of radiation. To date there has not been a recurrance of that cancer.

I moved from the east coast to the west coast. When I hooked up with my new oncologist she had me throughly checked out. SHe even hooked me up with gyn oncologist for my regular exam. Well my pap came back abnormal - which ofcourse turned back on my cancerhead.

The doc did a biopsy right in his office (I forget the name of it. It was the one with the microscope). Anyway that came back completely normal. Okay cancerhead turned off.

Two days later his intern calls me back and says that the follow up appointment we had made for two weeks later was to far away and they wanted me back in asap. Cancerhead back on!!

So I go in and find he wants me to have a cone biopsy. Just to be on the safe side. So he schedules it for two days later.

Today (not quite a week after the cone biopsy) I called to check on the results. Firs the intern calls me back. She tells me that I have what is called severe cervical dysplasia. The good news is that all the margins around the area where the cells were taken from - the bad news is that it was very well hidden.

Okay then the doc calls. As we are talking he tells me that a hysterectomy is not all that unusual given my history. He said that while it is rare to do one with cervical dysplasia it is not unheard of.

Okay so my questions - has anyone here had severe cervical dysplasia? What happened in your case?

I am little overwhelmed and while I understand that the cells taken were not cancerous - one little word keeps making me more and more of a cancer head. In my mind I hear the cells were not cancer --- yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM

Yes, I have heard of that. I had that back in the late 80's. I had both conization and cryosurgery. I was young, 18 yrs old, so they did not really want to do a hysterectomy. But this past year I had a pap come back as severe, it was believed it was my cervix and they were going to do a hysterectomy to deal with it. But as it turned out it was actually vaginal cancer not cervical dysplasia, (I had a vaginal tumor hiding behind my cervix, and my cervix was healthy). So ended up having chemo and rads instead of a hysterectomy. I was told by the gyno/oncologist that a hysterectomy is common for severe dysplasia if there was a history of it and since I was done having children, I was all for it, but that is not what turned out happening to me.
Unread 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Thank you for your quick reply!

I am very willing to have a hysterectomy since I am done having children. When I had cancer years ago I was injected with so much radioactive stuff (the only thing the type of cancer i had reacted to) I had made the decision then to be done having kids. I am just still overwhelmed and confused on what the right thing is to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2008, 09:17 PM

Nelly, it sounds like your doctor did a colposcopy and perhaps an ECC (endocervical curettage).

I think of the colposcopy as a glorified pap. The doctor applies a weak acid (like kitchen vinegar) to the cervix, then looks at it through a microscope-thing called a colposcope. While looking, the vinegar will cause any dysplasia to turn white. The doctor can then pinch off those sites and send them for biopsy. While doing the colposcopy, the doctor might perform an ECC. The ECC is the only nonsurgical way the doctor can tell what the cervical canal looks like.

The exocervix (as seen during a pap and/or colpo) is made up of squamous cells. That makes up the outer 1/3 of the cervix. The upper part of the cervix (2/3) is made up of glandular cells. Between the two areas is an area called the Transition Zone (TZ).

Atypical squamous cells are typically detected via paps and/or colpos. Atypical glandular cells are not detected by either of those very often. They are typically detected by an ECC.

Do you know what type of atypical cells your doctor found?

It is common for a doctor to move more aggressively with atypical glandular cells than atypical squamous cells (at least that's what I've read from various sites and patients' reports).

The LEEP or cone biopsy cuts out a cone shaped biopsy of the cervix including the cervical canal.

When is your next appointment with this doctor? Have you asked for copies of your pathology reports? If not, then ask for them. You have a right to them.

I hope that helps. This is a wonderful site and I'm certain you will get many replies to this thread!
Unread 10-08-2008, 11:29 PM

My experience was my first, but at my age and being done with having children I opted for the hysterectomy. It just seemed right for me to get it out and hopefully never have a problem again. My path report following surgery came back crystal clear. Glad that I had it done so that I don't constantly worry and run back and forth to the doc every three months.
Unread 10-09-2008, 08:20 AM

I don't know if I will be much help to you. But I have recently had my 3rd Leep within the past two years for dysplasia. My first Leep came back as Severe or High Grade with posiive margins. My most recent Leep came back severe dysplasia and negative positive margins (within 0.1 cm. ) and dysplasia involves some glands. I keep thinking tis will be the one that gets it. My doc said that I would come back in 6 mos for an HPV test, if that is positive than I will have a colpo, if those results are bad then he recommends hyster to remove the cervix. He said that even though slow growing he doesn't want to take the chance. I am like you and really question if this is the right thing to do. I am sorry you are going through this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register