Complex Cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Complex Cyst

Hi Ladies,

I have joined your "Cyst"erhood...(smile).

For several months I have been having lower ab, lower back pain/pressure. Pain/pressure in my left and right ovary. Pain radiating thru my left hip also. Feeling of fullness when eating, severe fatigue. Sometimes I even feel sick in the mornings, but don't get sick. In the evenings after supper, I feel so bloated.

BM's have changed too (ok, this makes me feel like an old person...talking about bm's).....I was always a "once a weeker".....now it's at least once a day....sometimes 5-6 times a day! Frequent urination also....

I called my ob/gyn and they went ahead and sent me for a Transvaginal Sonogram on 10-2-08. Then went Tue, 10-7-08 for my results. And, she sent me for a CA-125. I had a CA-125 last year right before my hyster, and it was 19

I should have my CA-125 results sometime today.

Here are the T-Sonogram results:

1. COMPLEX Cyst in the Left Ovary with a maximum diameter of 4.5 cm and containing either an internal cyst or a curvilinear septation

2. 1.7 cm follicle or functional cyst in the Right Ovary

My dr is not concerned with the cyst on the right ovary. But is concerned with the Complex Cyst on the Left. I go for another T-Sonogram on 10-23-08 to see if it is still there, has grown or shrunk. Depending on the outcome of that will determine what her next action will be.

She did tell me that since I'm in menopause and have no uterus, anything under 3 cm, she would watch and wait. Anything over 5 cm she would automatically suggest removal.

Have any of you ladies had a Complex Cyst? What were your symptoms, if any?

I really, really, really do not want to have surgery. 80% -95% of cysts are benign...at least that's what I keep reading. So, what does it hurt to wait and watch?

Deadra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Complex Cyst

Hi, there!

First, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Second, I'm currently on the other side of a very similar situation.

After my sonogram, I had a 4 cm complex cyst on my left ovary, and the right one had a few similar small follicles, just like you're describing. Because I had such bad symptoms (in addition to yours mentioned above, I had severe abdominal pain under my left ribcage). They scheduled the surgical removal of my left ovary Sept. 29th, 2008.

During the surgery, they found 17 adhesions from my hysterectomy 2 years ago which was what was causing my pain in my ribs. They removed those as well.

I have to say that I IMMEDIATELY felt better! I've always been a "once-a-day" BM'er (and yes, it makes me feel old to talk about it, too), so the only changes I noticed pre-op was the frequency and color. Gross, huh?

4.5 cm is very close to that 5 cm "automatic removal" your doc is talking about. How long has this problem been going on? You've said several months...My problem went on for 3-1/2 months before they did anything about it. As I'm sure you're aware, functional cysts are natural, however, if you've been having problems for more than a couple of months, I don't think it's going to go away on its own.

In light of everything you've mentioned in your post - ask yourself if these symptoms are something you can live with for any length of time. After 3-1/2 months I decided I definitely could NOT live like that any longer. Quality of life and all of that. I am 11 days post-op, and feel like a whole new gal! My surgery went very well, and other than about 4 days of pretty bad discomfort, I have to say it was a piece of cake! I have more energy than I did pre-op. I am more pleasant to be around (says my hubby), and I feel like I am more "with the rest of the world" than I was when having to focus energy on my cyst problems (however subconscious that may have been).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I had a very similar situation and now that I've made it past the scary surgery, I'm so glad that it was my decision. It may not be the right one for you - only you can decide. But, I'm here to chat with you whenever you wish. Send a PM if you'd like!

Best of luck to you!

Mellybug
Unread 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Complex Cyst

Thanks for the reply Mellybug.

I would say I've been feeling like this for at least 3 months. It's more bothersome than anything else.

For example, when I'm sleeping, the lower ab ab/back/hip pain will wake me up. In the evenings after eating supper, I feel like a blimp....even tho I don't eat much. Sometimes the fatigue is so bad, I feel like I go into a coma.

I also have the ribcage pain.

What was your Complex Cyst? Benign?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Complex Cyst

Hi, Carcrazy!

I don't know yet what my cyst was. I'm assuming it was benign, since I haven't heard anything. He said that their preliminary tests showed 0% cancerous cells, but they'd have to test the removed ovary further to be sure. I guess I am taken a bit aback by the question - I never even THOUGHT about it! Too much else going on. SILLY ME!!!

I, too, have felt like a blimp after eating something small. For example, I ate a bagel with cream cheese about 11:00 this morning for "breakfast". I haven't eaten anything else since, and am not even remotely hungry. I'll be like this until about 7:00 tonight, when I might feel a little hungry, but then a bowl of Strawberry Special K cereal will fill me to brimming!

I haven't had as much fatigue as you're describing, although I was extremely tired-feeling and unmotivated to do much of anything. I'd still make myself get up and do it - but it was a monumental effort. It's been almost 2 weeks since surgery and I have to say my energy level is increasing. Not by leaps and bounds, but some! I can at least motivate myself to go out for a walk with the dogs and do dishes without feeling like I have whip myself into it.

So - best of luck to you - and keep me informed as to what your decision is. You know you have support no matter what!

Mellybug

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register