Personal Hygiene Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Personal Hygiene Question Personal Hygiene Question

Unread 10-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Personal Hygiene Question

Dear Sisters,

I have a serious concern that has been hard to share and a little embarrassing but it goes to the heart of keeping my dignity through this process. So please accept my apologies in advance

My concern is being able to perform personal hygiene (wiping) after I have a BM, after surgery of course. I would be mortified having to ask for assistance.

My concern probably stems from the fact that after gaining 60 lbs, This issue has became more challenging than before the weight gain, and the thought of twisting , bending after surgery has me freaked out !!!!

Please, if anyone has had this type of concern and could share an idea or solution it would be greatly appreciated .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I was wondering the same thing . . . .

So I'm not alone! I've gained at least 60 lbs and have experienced similar problems. Especially in the AM when I'm very stiff from my fibromyalgia.

I have found that in the shower, a shower brush on a handle is very helpful. Don't have any ideas for non-shower. I hadn't thought about the bending and twisting after surgery. Yikes! This is a problem!
Unread 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM

Dear Kim1964,

Bless your heart for sharing , I was afraid that I wouldn't get any responses and feel bad for posing the question.

Thanks again , Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2008, 06:07 PM

october23,
I just wanted to encourage you that hospitals cater to ALL people regardless of size, shape or disposition.
Being hospitalised, (regardless of size) will generally mean that any and most, will need help with personal hygiene at some stage.

It is my understanding that beside nursing staff, Occupational Therapists (that work in hospitals) are exceptionally helpful in helping people maintain or regain their independence after hospitalisation. It's their job! At times they have great assistive aids to help to do everyday jobs, they can be the greatest resource!

Please I encourage you not to be mortified or embarrassed. Wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery
Unread 10-13-2008, 06:15 PM

I am an Occupational Therapist & you are not alone in this concern. They actually make devices especially for that. They are called "toilet aids". They basically look like a large pair of tongs. You wrap the paper around them & it's like an extension of your arm. I have had many patients who have had good success with these & it allows them to live independently. You could check with a local therapist in your area or if you are a "web" shopper, I can give you some websites where you can purchase these items. Just let me know if I can help!
Unread 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM

Hi ladies,

Good question. I didn't need help in that department, but I had a nurse who showered me in the castle - actually scrubbed me from head to toe like a kid. After I got over being embarassed, it was great.

I think nurses are angels, and I'm sure you'll find that they are more than willing to help you.

Good luck
Unread 10-14-2008, 06:46 AM

I did not have a BM for several days after surgery so by that time, you may be at home, if that is any help to you. The "toilet aids" sound like the way to go.
Unread 10-14-2008, 09:35 AM

I actually did go through this problem.

What happened with me is that surgical positioning put stress on an old shoulder fracture and after surgery, I had almost no use of my right arm. I could move it, but it was very painful, so it might as well have been broken again. And lefthanded just didn't work for me at all.

And since I had a DaVinci surgery, we weren't in the hospital long enough to realize the need or receive services of an OT.

I have a very wonderful husband who helped me through the first two times when I wasn't able to reach. It was embarrassing of course, but it had to be done. After that, I was able to take care of things myself.

I'm glad to learn of the OT tools. If I ever have surgery again, I will look into them.
Unread 10-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Hi,
I have heard that the toilet aids are great, but I of course was to embarrassed to even consider getting one "just me!"
I am overweight so I knew wiping after surgery would be a challenge!
Within a couple hours of surgery, still being very groggy I got up to urinate and the nurse that was with me just wiped me like it was nothing to her, I am so thankful to how she respected my dignity, but did not make out like it was a big deal.
As far as a BM goes when I got home there was no way I could have twisted as far as I needed, This is when I discovered Baby wipes are Wonderful!!! They were my new best friend, they don't rip like toilet paper so the reach goes so much further.
For even a further "to much information" trick, rather than twist I put one foot up on stool to wipe found that also gave more reach without straining.

WHAT A GREAT QUESTION KATHY! I know it was something I thought about prior to surgery and I am sure there are other ladies out there wondering how to handle this.
Unread 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM

What wonderful ideas and thoughtful answers! Thank you to all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register