New to Hyster Sisters not sure what to put? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Hyster Sisters not sure what to put? New to Hyster Sisters not sure what to put?

Unread 10-15-2008, 04:09 AM
New to Hyster Sisters not sure what to put?

Hiya Everyone,

I actually live in London in the United Kingdom, but for some reason they do not have an amazing site like this for women who have had Hysterectomy's. I recently on October 1st 2008 had to have a hysterectomy I am actually only 35 (which i have been told seveal times is young to have one like i don't know that anyway make me feel even better about myself thanks). I kept my ovaries because of my age and am lucky enough that i already have had two amazing boys aged 14 & 11 so i am luckier than others.

I had to have a hysterectomy because i had fibroids which were remove once and returned within 4 months of removal I also kept getting anaemic and needed blood transfusions, have really been feeling ill for the last year!
Am finding it hard now recoverying not used to doing nothing and am finding simple things increasingly painful, just going for wee hurts and moving the wrong way is dyer.

Have no bleeding thank god by have got a very bloated and sore stomach does anyone know how long this will last for? and when will i start to feel a little bit better not so tired.

Please let me know if you know i will be grateful too of the human company you can only talk to the dog so much!

Take-care and keep well

Busy-Bee xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2008, 06:22 AM

Well hello Busy-Bee...welcome to this site. As you will soon learn this site is fantastic and it is comforting to know others are in the same boat as you are.
I will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow. I am not sure if you had an abdominal removal of your uterus or not but I did and my surgery was more complicated due to lots of adheisions on my bowel. In fact my bowel was stuck to my uterus. Sounds like you have had a rough go of it leading up to having your hysterectomy. It was only after week 4 that I found I wasn't so tired and had some energy. Even at this stage I still have a sore spot on my tummy and if I over do it, it lets me know I've done too much! It takes a long time to heal completely. My belly is larger so it is hard for me to know if it is swollen at times or not but from what I have read on here even at this stage at night their bellies are swollen from a day's activities. So just know that it will take some time and that all you are going through is normal. Don't over do it, just because you might have an incision that is healing on the outside doesn't mean everything is healed on the inside. Good luck...
Unread 10-15-2008, 07:03 AM

Hi BusyBee
Welcome to Hystersisters! You'll find there are quite a few sisters from the UK who are part of the boards. I hope you'll find some new friends and enjoy the support you'll receive here.

I see you are two weeks out from your surgery today. Recovery generally takes 6 to 8 weeks for the initial healing. After that you will want to begin adding back activities a little at a time until your body adjusts and you can handle your regular routine again. That exact time frame is different for everyone. You might want to read through the Checkpoints for some ideas on what to expect at each stage of your recovery. They're also full of information and tips on how to handle your recovery.

You might want to consider creating a little signature for yourself that includes what type of surgery you have had. It will help us help you better if we know what you have had done and also if you have your ovaries or not. It's very easy, if you go to the the user control panel link (User CP) on left side of the purple bar above the thread boxes. When you click in there it will open up a new page. Look in the left hand column again, at the top you'll see Edit Signature. That will open the page where you can enter your information. If you have any trouble, let us know and we'll be glad to help.

Be sure to be resting. The bloating in the stomach is pretty normal for most and is made worse if you're up doing more than your body is ready to do. I hope everything continues to go well for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2008, 07:13 AM

Hi & welcome!

I am also 35! I had some bladder discomfort the first couple of weeks - I hated to go because of the discomfort. My belly is also swollen - worse in the evening after doing things. From what I understand, this can last quite a while (months).

I am battling the fatigue & lack of energy. This is also an area that I think is slow to return. I try to just take it one day at a time. One thing I have learned is LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! Try not to overdo!

Good luck to you & I wish you the best in your recovery!
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:18 AM

I'm from the UK too & love this site. There is always someone out there to help.

I have to say you are very in early in the recovery process and the pains you are having seem very normal.

I seemed to turn a corner every 2 weeks but I did pay a lot of attention to the checkpoints on this site as my Gyn didn't give me too much information at discharge.

The tender tummy is still there at 8 weeks but so much better. I just think of it as my bodies alarm bell to stop me over doing things. The swelly belly is also much better & only really shows it self later in the day now or if I am wearing something too restrictive.

I hope you have lots of people around to pamper you.

I love talking to the dog, she is always happy to respond with a wagging tails and doesn't demand to much!

Take care

Katy
Unread 10-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Hi

[quote=BeeOT]Hi & welcome

Hi Katy

Thank you for your email and for your advice it is nice to know that there are others who have been in the same situation as me. I think i have worked out how to change my profile as yes i do have my ovaries and had an abdominal hysterectomy. The bladder problem is very annoying and I am trying to behave and not do too much but i am not normally the person to sit and do nothing. Finding it very hard doing nothing and i will take your advice and listen to my body. How are you doing? what week are you in now,

Hope to hear from you soon

Claire (Busy-Bee)
Unread 10-16-2008, 08:38 AM

Hi Katy,

Welcome to the site....It has helped me very much in the last year and a half. I too was very young, I have suffered with my periods and endo ever since I got my period it seems lol.
I had my hysterectomy last September of 2007. I was only 27yrs old. I am also lucky to have a beautiful 5 year old boy.

I remember the first 2 weeks after my "complete" hyster was very painful...just take things slowly and do not over do it! Listen to your doctor and just take it one day at a time.

I hope all is well.

Julia
Unread 10-16-2008, 09:45 AM

Hi Claire

I know it is difficult to do nothing, I am usually a workaholic!

But there are other things you can do that will not harm your recovery. Reading, watching TV or films, walking, needlework, knitting, jigsaws, etc. You can have friends call round. You can bake as long as you feel up to it, cup cakes rather than the Christmas Cake though!

I was lucky and had someone around for most of the 1st 4 weeks and was able to go out in the car with them and wander around the shops & eat out a few times. But you can catch a bus if you just need too get out.

Here I am coming up for 9 weeks and I am back at work part time from home. I have an hour commute round the M25 each way so didn't want to start back in to that right away. Planning on going in to the office for 2 or 3 days next week avoiding rush hour.

Any questions just let me know!

Katy
Unread 10-17-2008, 12:19 AM

Hiya Katy,

Thanks for your email, I am planning not to go back to work too soon. I work in a delivery suite within a maternity unit as a ward clerk and barely get 2 mins to sit down, rushing around constantly, so am not going to rush myself.

Got some more tablets from doctors yesterday, as the hospital only gave me enought for 1 week (so generous) the doctors has given me 84 tablets should kept me ok better than the 28 tabs i had.

My stomach seems to be feeling very heavy especially when i stand for too long is this normal! stilll couldn't work out how to change profile so i could put that i have kept me ovaries etc., never mind that will keep me busy and occupied i suppose.

Did you find that some days you felt depressed and tearful for no reason i do and don't really know why i am even feeling that way (its driving me mad)

Anyway enough about me how are you? and thanks for emailing me it is nice to know that there is someone to talk too husbands are no good! they don't understand.

Take care keep in touch

Busy-Bee (Claire) x
Unread 10-17-2008, 08:34 AM

Hi Claire

Glad you got more tablets if they are helping you through this. I managed to be off meds within 10 day mainly - had a couple of bad days beyond that when I took ibruprofen.

My stomach was heavy, especially when I was standing too long or lying down on my side. It helped to hold it or have a cushion against it.

I am still feeling more emotional than normal & will cry at anything, happy or sad. I started HRT this week so I am hoping that these feelings will go.

If you can't talk to your husband, try the dog! At least he will listen and not interrupt :-) My DH has been amazing, I have used this site to give him examples when I have trouble getting through. Even at almost 9 weeks he is being very considerate, most unlike him!

Take care, have a good weekend.

Katy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register