1 yr after hysterectomy...now testing for colon cancer??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 yr after hysterectomy...now testing for colon cancer??? 1 yr after hysterectomy...now testing for colon cancer???

Unread 10-16-2008, 08:27 AM
1 yr after hysterectomy...now testing for colon cancer???

Hey ladies...

I was on here about a week ago, and had mentioned that I had alot of blood in my stool and such.
Now I am being tested for Colon Cancer....so I've done the fecal occult blood test, now im getting ready for a bowel prep because I get to get probed with that awesome camera again...only this time its going in my butt and not my uterus....(seeing as I no longer have a uterus)

I am very frustrated and nervous....has anyone gone through this procedure? Can anyone help me and possibly give me an idea as to how it might feel???

Thanks

Julia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia_80
Hey ladies...

...has anyone gone through this procedure? Can anyone help me and possibly give me an idea as to how it might feel???

Thanks

Julia
Julia,
I have had 3 colonoscopys since my late 30's(I just turned 50) due to maternal family history. They really are a breeze. The worst part is the bowel prep. My gastro Dr. uses the 2 liters of liquid that you drink and within a half hour you can not leave your toilet! After a couple of hours you're cleaned out and good to go(no pun intended). Make sure you make lots and lots of jello (nothing red though) because it will taste like filet mignon due to the fact that you can have nothing but clear liquids for 24 hours prior to the test. When you arrive to have the procedure done the anestesiologist will insert an IV sedation. The next thing you know is they are waking you up. It is the easiest test and I believe that if colon cancer is caught early enough, there is a 90% cure rate. Good Luck and you'll be fine
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Julia, I can't help you with info on the procedure. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts are with, and wish you well on your procedure and the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Totally agree that the prep is the WORST part. I was out before I hit the screening room. I just had my 3rd last year and the good part is there is really no waiting for test results as the doc is right there doing it, and, at least my doc gave me my results that day before I left the surgery center. And it is true, if caught early, very cureable. Good Luck
Unread 10-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Just make sure you get the sedation!

In the UK it is optional and, if you have it, you need someone with you for the next 24 hours. As I couldn't arrange that at short notice I didn't have the sedation and OMG!

But the good points are that they can see & tell almost straight away.

Hope all goes well for you, hugs

Katy
Unread 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM

try not to worry about the test itself..its really very easy. you'll be given a sedative and probably have little or no memory of it. i didnt want to be completely sedated and asked for something light and was fully awake for mine..it was painless. you'll be treated with dignity..covered up and talked to during the procedure. i hope everything goes well for you and you get perfect results
Unread 10-16-2008, 02:34 PM

I had my first colonoscopy last month, a routine check suggested by my gynecologist. I dreaded it, but now don't know why. An anesthesia often used now, propofol, is short-lasting (lasts 3 minutes so has to be administered continuously) and I experienced no grogginess afterwards.

My gastroenterologist said that he always administers the anesthesiology when the scope goes in because that's the hardest part. If the patient is interested and cooperative, he is willing to stop administering the short-lasting anesthesia for the scope's trip out, allowing the patient to examine the large intestine on a nearby television as the doctor does. I opted to watch as the scope made its trip down my large intestine, with commentary from the doctor as he noted that he was removing two tiny benign polyps and pointed out several diverticula in the large colon. I was glad to know first-hand that he did a slow, careful probe.

The only pain I had was toward the end when I seemed to have a gas pain and was just about to ask for the anesthesia again when the pain subsided. That short-living pain was due to the air used to enlarge the colon.

Viewing the procedure is not for everyone, but I found it fascinating.

I was expecting an unpleasant prep, but didn't have to live by the toilet as I thought I would have to. I used Vaseline so my tailend would not get raw.

My doctor gave me a list of the clear liquids I could drink (nothing red) and stressed drinking some Gatorade or similar product to keep minerals in balance.
Unread 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzehorse
Viewing the procedure is not for everyone, but I found it fascinating.
I have had several colonoscopies (my dad had ulcerative colitis and colon cancer). I was nervous about the first one, but found it fascinating. The sedative didn't knock me out so I was able to watch the whole thing. I think that the Gastroenterologist thought that I was "out" until I said, slow down and pointed to an area on the screen that she missed - which turned out to be a polyp.

The prep was the worse part.

I that you will be relaxed as you go into the procedure. Think positive thoughts ....
Unread 10-17-2008, 04:55 AM

I had my first colonoscopy just to provide a baseline at 53. The found polyps so I had another at 56 - found more polyps - and will be having another in two years. The gastroentologist told me that the reason they space the tests out the way they do is that generally it takes 7 years before a colon polyp turns cancerous. Some of my polyps have been pre cancerous and some benign. I have pictures of all of them!

The prep is absolutely the worst part. At the risk of providing TMI, if you have hemmeroids, be prepared to ice them down toward the end of the prep.

Because of the sedation, you probably will not be able to drive yourself home. The hospital where I go sends me home with two servings of delicious chicken noodle soup. It is something nourishing and easy to digest after the prep.

When I have to schedule my test, I do it on Friday so that I can take it easy the next day. I have never had any after effects - my body just does not feel quite itself the next day - no emergency bathroom trips or anything.

Best wishes to you and I hope your results will be good.
Unread 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM

I apprechiate all of your responses. I just have a small question and it may sound silly. I have never had hemmeroids....are they internal or external? I suppose I should just google it. But how is one to know if they have a hemmeroid?
I am having my colonoscopy on monday. So I've just started the special diet and tomorrow will start with the bowl prep med (ugh....if its as unpleasent as the at home FOBT...Im doomed) lol I just did not like playing around with my own feces....a little strange seeing as I deal with other ppl's everyday ( I work in a nursing home) lol

Anyhow...
I shall return with any results.

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register