best diet for after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

best diet for after surgery? best diet for after surgery?

Unread 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM
best diet for after surgery?

Hi Sweet Sisters,
I am concerned about what to eat (and not eat) after surgery to help prevent constipation. So far, I've bought small cups of fruit, some v-8, and canned soup. I also plan to drink lots of water and other clear liquids until my bowels straighten back up. I know I will want crackers and toast, but I'm not sure they are a good idea. Do you have any other ideas? I'm really nervous about it. This is gross but I'm so scared I might damage something by straining. (I have aready purchased stool softener.)
Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Hi Judy-
It is good to see that you are thinking ahead. Better than waiting until you are home and not able to get out to a store yourself.

I used a stool softener for the first week. I then drank 1/2 a cup of prune juice at breakfast and before bed. I did this until the half gallon bottle I bought was gone and by then I didn't have any problems. I also didn't take any pain medication except for over the counter Tylenol. If you are taking pain meds some can cause constipation and you may need to take stool softener longer. Eat good fiber. I ate bran flakes with blueberries each morning for breakfast (as I always do). Eat fruit. My lunches were typically a piece of fruit or applesauce, a slice of whole grain toast with an egg - actually 1/2 cup of egg beaters (liquid eggs). And as you alredy stated - lots of water. I drank at least 64 ounces of water daily not counting other beverages. And I walked around inside the house to help to keep things moving.

It sounds like you have a good handle on what you are going to do. Planning ahead is the first step. I am sure you will do great.
Marcia
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Hi Judy

Sounds like you are on the right track already!

I ate pretty much my usual diet, just in smaller portions, to start with. I avoided anything spicy (tried once & my tummy didn't like it*) but upped my intake of fresh fruit and veg. I have always drunk lots so carried that on.

Walking was the only thing that helped me with the gas pains.

* I am not sure if spicy food should be used to help you go but it had an almost instant effect on me - but the associated gas pains meant that I wouldn't recommend it!

Good luck

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2008, 01:26 PM

I ate lots of prunes. I like prunes better than the juice....and ate lots of berries. Doc told me fresh apples are gassy, and stay away from raw vegies that are gassy as well. I stocked up on frozen fruit and made lots of smoothies with protein to help me heal. Also ate grape nuts, and whole grain pastas.
Unread 10-16-2008, 07:32 PM

I bought a really high fiber cereal and that seemed to help.

As already mentioned watch out for raw veggies - very gassy and painful
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:23 PM

I didn't change much, food-wise. What I did do is eat prunes (which reminded me how good they really taste) and used a stool softener. I had LSH on a Monday and finally had success on Friday morning. I remembered something my OB/GYN had told me years early..."think down and out." In other words, do not strain, just take it easy and it will all come out in the end (pun intended).
Unread 10-16-2008, 11:26 PM
What to eat after surgery

Try to cut down on pain medication if you can. My doctor told me that the percocet could cause constipation and recommended I use Motrin when possible. I usually only used a percocet at night. In the hospital, I was given 2 percocet every 4-6 hours. Once I got home, I cut that down to one every six hours for the first day or two and then only once at night for about a week.
The best things I found that were helpful were oatmeal and fresh fruit. I had my surgery in June and stayed with my sister. We had large raspberry bushes in the backyard and they were ripe at that time. We had raspberries almost every day for about a week. I don't like prune juice, but did ask for it in the hospital. Grapes are plentiful right now and seem to help.
You should also read the threads about what to take to the hospital. One item that was recommended is a package of Gas-X.
I found that taking my own pillow from home really helped my comfort. The hospital pillows and mattresses are plastic coated.
Unread 10-17-2008, 03:55 PM

I had no constipation. On the doctor's advice, I took 1 senakot daily.

While allowed only clear liquids, I'd made up some peppermint tea and ginger tea that my SO brought to the hospital. Both are supposed to help with gas and stomach issues, so that was my hope. No idea if it really helped or not.

Once I was put on soft, I started with smoothies (legume/grain/nut milk, banana, other fruit, usually some kale and ground flax seed). Also some other high fiber but soft things like hummus and nut butters and well cooked grains.

Once home, I was back on solids. My usual diet (vegan and whole-foodsy) is pretty high fiber so I didn't change much except to try to avoid things I suspect make me gassy.

The first several bm's were - uncomfortable - but more in the sense of things moving through low in my abdomen in the several minutes prior to the actual bm.
Unread 10-18-2008, 02:11 AM

I stayed in hospital for another four days after surgery. The morning after they fed me "real" food (not liquid diet) but they did keep it "gluten free". NOt sure if that helped or not.

The percocet did make it hard, but never strained. Sounds like you're a smart cookie and thinking ahead (with stool softener). The gas is what hurt the most, so if you take your stool softener, walk when you can and eat lots of fiber (fruits and veg) then you're doing what you can to "keep things moving".

But don't deny yourself a piece of toast once in a while (unless doc says to) so you don't get too bad craving for it. Better to mix it with the fibers instead of eating too much of it at once.

Best of luck with your surgery. Wishing you uneventful stay at the castle! Don't forget the lip balm.

Hugs,
Buzylady
Unread 10-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Thank you for all your good advice Sisters! I will try all of your suggestions. Thanks so much for taking the time to help!
Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register