To pass the time.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To pass the time.. To pass the time..

Unread 10-20-2008, 10:14 PM
To pass the time..

First, I love this forum. I absolutely love it. I haven't posted much, but I've read a LOT and at least feel like I will be prepared for surgery. I'm still terrified of the hospital, but I know this has to be done...so want to just get going.

So, I've been thinking of ways to pass the time while recovering. In the nine months my dad was in ICU, I wore out the crossword puzzle books and soduko books. If I see another one, I may scream! LOL I signed up for Netflix so I can have a constant supply of fresh movies. I have a few books on the way from Amazon.

I will drive myself and my family nuts if I'm not entertained somehow...lmao I'll also just get out of bed and start doing things I shouldn't be doing out of sheer boredom.

So, what things will YOU be doing to pass recovery time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2008, 02:44 AM
To pass the time..

Do you knit, crochet or cross stitch? If you don't, maybe recovery would be a good time to learn?

Frankly, I didn't need much to occupy my time between visiting with my sister and napping and taking walks. But my sister did ask me to make her a new poncho to replace one that I had made her a few years earlier that had been damaged. So that did occupy a little more of my time too.

Netflix sounds like a great idea.
Unread 10-21-2008, 03:45 AM
To pass the time..

Hi Twisted Cyster

One thing that helped me was to have a variety of things to do each day. I stayed with my sister for about 10 days and so I could get up and have a cup of tea, shower, dress and then run errands with her. This got me out of the house and allowed me to walk outside & in the shops & garden centre. It would then be home for lunch and we would walk the dog together later in the day before dinner.

In between times I napped, read, did games on my iPhone, watched TV or movies, talked to friends on the phone, walked some more, used the internet, chatted etc. You can also do simple things like make a drink or sandwich, wipe down surfaces.

It is good to be as active as you can, it helps get the gas moving and makes your recovery easy - you don't need to be in a bed 24/7! After I got home from the hospital the longest I spent in bed was about 18 hours in one bad day but this was one night and two naps 2nd day home.

The big thing for me was not to have this 24 hour period looming ahead of me with nothing in it, that was scary.

Just to warn you, in the early days you may find it difficult to concentrate for very long & any periods of activity will need to have an equal amount of rest time.

Wishing you a safe surgery & an uneventful recovery

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2008, 05:37 AM
To pass the time..

Before I had my surgery I was also wondering what the heck I would do to pass the time during recovery - I was never one to sit still for long. I signed up for Blockbuster (like Netflix) and also stocked up on some books. However, I will have to say that initially I couldn't concentrate enough to read and often I'd fall asleep while watching a movie or TV. Now that I'm almost 3 weeks post-op it I'm able to focus more. What has been really helpful for me (and especially with the concentration/boredom/energy issues) is to do different things for a short period of time and to start having a little bit of a routine (so I feel I have a little structure/something to look forward to). I also make sure that every couple hours or so I get up and move... in the mornings and afternoons I take strolls around our yard - hanging out in nature and enjoying the sunshine is wonderful! I also intersperse activity with rest - a must do!! If you're into crafts, scrapbooking or the like, before surgery would be a good time to gather up supplies and think up some possibile projects... however, keep in mind that initially you might not be comfortable sitting for long periods of time. I'm going to try my hand at teaching myself some new origami folds and am toying with ideas for making some holiday ornaments/cards. Warning - don't watch too much HGTV or the like... if you're like me you'll start wanting to redo your house inside and out... LOL! Most of all enjoy opportunity to just relax and "be"... its nice to step back from the usual day-to-day.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery and recovery! Don't forget to "Pamper the Princess"!!!
Unread 10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
To pass the time..

I had a 6-hour miniseries that I recorded last December that I was looking forward to finally having the time to watch. And I wanted to put together a model airplane. Haven't done one since high school, and I've been longing to do that lately.

I never had time to do either one! My recovery was so easy, and I was back to my daily routine so quickly, that I never got around to any of the "being lazy" stuff I planned. Oh well.
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
To pass the time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCyster
So, what things will YOU be doing to pass recovery time?
I may have an advantage here, but I'm a hard core computer gaming nerd. I play EverQuest 2, which is a neverending source of "sit on your butt or laying down" entertainment.

I need to practice a laying down setup so I can play in bed I might get my Shadowknight to 70... *nerd alert*

Besides computer games, I figure I'll be watching movies.. DVDs.. I plan to catch the entire second season of "Heroes" and maybe rewatch last season of Greys Anatomy.
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM
To pass the time..

A friend of mine tried to get me to start playing World of Warcraft, but after a few days, my interest in it waned...and there it sits.

OOH, a great tip from a co-worker today was to start making double of all my dinners, and freezing them. That way I have stuff ready to thaw out and cook at a moment's notice.

In other news, I found out all the rooms at the women's center where my surgery will be done are PRIVATE! Yay!!! That's one less worry! With my luck I would've had the chattiest roomie in history!
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
To pass the time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw13
I had a 6-hour miniseries that I recorded last December that I was looking forward to finally having the time to watch. And I wanted to put together a model airplane. Haven't done one since high school, and I've been longing to do that lately.

I never had time to do either one! My recovery was so easy, and I was back to my daily routine so quickly, that I never got around to any of the "being lazy" stuff I planned. Oh well.
That's awesome! I hope mine goes that way! Did you have a TAH?
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
To pass the time..

Yeah.. I played WoW awhile with hubby and his coworkers. EQ2 has more depth.. plus I think its the people we play with, they are awesome. Lots of military guys and their wives and a few folks from Canada. I dunno if I will be able to focus enough to play it at first but hoping DVDs and/or books will tide me over.

I dont get bored easily.. plus being a grad student, if I am at all awake theres always research to be read. (Hoping to graduate in August 09)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register