severe cervical dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

severe cervical dysplasia severe cervical dysplasia

Unread 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
severe cervical dysplasia

i was very comfortable with my dr. i had an abnormal pap and colposcopy and biopsy in june. leep procedure in july. she told me if things continued i may need hysterectomy. she then moved out of town and i saw the other dr in her office. he just talked with me about the results and told me i had severe cervical dysplasia and should just get a hyst if i was done with kids. i did not feel comfortable with him and decided to go with a former dr in another town. had a follow up pap last week and talked with her about previous test results. she is also recommending a hyst within the next year - 2 years at the most. she said it's not a matter of "if" i get cancer, but "when." anyone else have this? i wonder if a hyst is overkill or really necessary. i do not want to have numerous leep procedures. my husband and i had decided we did not really want more children, but i hate that it would be totally taken away from me. i'm coming to terms with the fact that it is necessary.....i just want to talk with someone who's been there. please give me some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM

I was done having children and did not want to have to go through one procedure after another. I was given the same option as you and am glad I chose the hyster. I am four weeks out from a TVH removal of the uterus and cervix and I feel ten years younger! Maybe once since the surgery has the thought of not being able to have more children crossed my mind, but I'm over it. It's just nice to not have to worry about cancer as much had I of left things as they were.
Unread 10-21-2008, 02:01 PM

to Hystersisters!

I have a couple of questions about your situation:

Have you had a PAP done since your LEEP?

Do you know what your pathology report said about your LEEP? You said you had severe dysplasia, but do you know if all of it was removed? They would use the words "clean margins". Clean margins are a good thing--it means they got all of the abnormal cells.

Also, do you know if you had squamous cell involvement or glandular cell involvement? That might also impact your decision on what to do in the future.

Quote:
she said it's not a matter of "if" i get cancer, but "when."
Actually, 90% of women who have a LEEP for cervical dysplasia never have it return it again. It is important to continue to have regular PAP's for your future.

You might consider requesting a second opinion with a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers, and they are highly trained in the most current medical and surgical techniques.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM

After 3yrs, multiple drs. & unsuccessful LEEPs I finally have a dr. I trust (who ended up doing my TVH - which was my last / only option left because of severe dysplasia & glandular abnormalities). I had my tubes tied years ago so DH & I didn't have that issue. You deserve a Dr. you are comfortable with & that you trust.
Unread 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM

I just had my first follow up pap since my leep. i'm waiting on those results.
Unread 10-24-2008, 02:54 PM

my results were normal. of course i will continue to follow closely to make sure it doesn't return. if/when it does i will do what needs to be done to make sure i am healthy. of course now i'm worried they just didn't get a good sample and it will get really bad......my husband just says to relax for now and wait for the next one. thanks for the advice everyone...i'll be back if i have more questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register