Increasing activity safely? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Increasing activity safely? Increasing activity safely?

Unread 10-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Increasing activity safely?

I had a LAVH with BSO on 10/6. I had such awful pain before surgery that I felt great after! I would have walked in recovery if I thought they would let me. I moved tons in bed and then walked around the unit several times that evening. I did have a Morphine PCA and that enabled me to do all that I needed to do. The next day I had them remove the Morphine around 8 AM and started on pain pills. Wow! What a difference. I could really feel that pain after that, but still went about my business of walking a bunch and doing the other stuff that we are supposed to do. I went home that evening after FINALLY passing a bit of flatus. I suppose that was my biggest issue post op after going home. I didn't have a normal BM on my own until 4 days after. I had used a suppository a couple of times early in the week since I was so uncomfortable.
My biggest issue now is that I don't see the doc until 11/5 since I have to do lifting at work and they won't let me, etc... But, I sent the nurse an email about increasing my activity and she said that I can't walk more than a block until seen my the doc! Now I am really frustrated. That seems extreme. I think I will go stir crazy. Plus, I have been doing a lot around the house, prob more than I should. Though, I generally still nap every day. Even if I am working around the house or am away from the house for several hours, I just nap after. It seems to work out.
Sorry this is so long! I just wanted to get someone else's opinion on increasing activity, safely, etc...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Hi! to Hyster Sisters!

It sure can be frustrating when we feel like we can do more than the doctor will allow, but it's important that we follow our own doctor's orders so that we have the best chance to heal well. Now is the time to be pampered and let others do for you. I know that can be hard but recovery is the time to put yourself first and just do simple things that don't involve lifting more than the doctor allows, etc.

You might find the information in this link helpful as you work your way through recovery: Post-Op Page.

I hope all goes well at your next appointment and that your doctor will increase the amount of activity you can safely do. Meanwhile, enjoy spending time here with your new Sisters while you !

s
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:00 PM
slow down

Do not over do it. I took it real easy (I thought) and still came out hurting. Yes I had over did it and still don't think I was doing as much as you. After the first time over doing it I took full advantage of everyone doing for me till I was stir crazy. But I did get a quilt done and some crochet done. Plus I read about 23 books and watched about 10 movies. I know its hard but if you don't heal right you may end up with more surgery. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM

Thank you so much for your support! I have to say that I am the poster child for what you should not do after surgery! I have to be honest, I am going crazy! I sent my nurse a note about my current situation, with my MD appointment 11/5 and asked what kind of activity I could add and she told me that I cannot walk more than a block until my appointment! This is crazy! I am not kidding when I say that I literally walked 2 miles in the hospital from the evening of OR until I was discharged the following evening. And now they are telling me that I can't walk more than a block! Unbelievable. I have to say that I have likley been doing too much from the very beginning. I am not saying any of this to be tooting my own horn or bragging. Actually, I am saying this to confess and state that I know that what I had been doing was really bad. I am just not sure where to go from here. Within 4 days of surgery I started driving short distances as my husband was out of the country and I also cleaned my house head to toe including moving a little bit of furniture (with the assistance of my 8 and 10 year old sons). I have not even considered sweeping, believe it or not. And do know that once my house was cleaned up, all I have done is pick up a little, in addition to keeping up with laundry, and cooking. I have shopped, run errands and pretty much lived my life as normal except that I take a nap nearly every day. So! Again, I know that I have not done things as I should, but I feel so great and have not had any issues. I think that maybe I just need to listen to my body and try to act accordingly. I should also add that I am overweight and I fight it, always. I had lost about 2-3 pounds since surgery and am very concerned about gaining tons of weight since I can't walk my normal 9-10 miles a week that I had been doing before the pain got too bad shortly before surgery. I am struggling here! I do not hurt, my punctures are nearly healed except for tiny scabs. To say that I am a high strung girl is an understatement! I am nearly 39 and am always an on the go kind of gal. This is my toughest situation to be restricted. Can you tell? I understand that I have to be careful so that I don't cause serious problems if not now, possibly long term. I have tried to be super careful since those first few days. But, it just seems like there should be a happy medium. Any thoughts? It will be 3 weeks on Monday since my surgery. (LAVH, BSO)
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:15 PM

At 5 days post op I walked 2 miles...not race walking by any stretch...just slow steady and flat walking...no straining was done and my lungs loved it (not to mention my cabin-fever brain) Walking is essential to healing so if you are paying attention to how you feel, don't race up hills or swing 5lb weights just go outside and breathe deep as you stroll...you should be fine. I picked a walking course that had a couple of benches along the way - just in case! Glad you are feeling energetic and well enough to want more!! Just pay attention - little aches can turn to be trouble if ignored!
Happy Healing!
Trish
daVinci TLH, BSO
Adenomyosis, fibroids and Atypical Hyperplasia
Unread 10-25-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the information regarding increasing activity safely. I will consider this on Monday when I start walking.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register