Anyone develop overian cancer after having cervical cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone develop overian cancer after having cervical cancer Anyone develop overian cancer after having cervical cancer

Unread 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Anyone develop overian cancer after having cervical cancer

Hi:

I am still debating keeping or not keeping my overies during my radical hysterectomy next week. I have been searching the net for the last 4 hours trying to find any information about the connection between the two and also have been searching this site for all posts with IB1 Cervical Cancer .. then checking who kept overies and reading their posts to see if any later posted with overian cancer.

I have not found a single case so I figured I would just ask. Has anyone here with cervical cancer with no lymph node involvement later devleoped overian cancer? If not .. do you know of anyone who has?

I really can't make this decision. I know my overies are fully functional and appear to be fine and I am finding it difficult to lose them. On the other side I don't want to dye later because I made a stupid choice now.

I know I am big time tripping on this issue but I can't help it. I feel like I need more information and time to make a decision .. perhaps time travel machine would also be helpful so I could see the future before making then decision .. now wouldn't THAT be great !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2008, 09:32 PM

<knocking on wood and saying my prayer> I had adenocarcinoma Ia1 and have not had ovarian issues. From all that I've read online (and I've read stuff almost daily since early April (this year) I don't recall anyone having both cervical and ovarian cancer.
Unread 11-01-2008, 05:26 AM

Hello. I was diagnosed with the possibility of both ovarian and cervical cancers. I had neither, but everything was removed. (This is called a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo oopherectomy - hyst plus BSO - which some call a "radical hysterectomy.") The causes of ovarian cancer differ from the causes for cervical cancer. If you know little about HPV, please attempt to learn more about HPV and its relationship to cervical cancer. Has your doctor recommended the removal of your ovaries because s/he is concerned you might have cancer? These are questions to discuss with your doctor first, so you have a complete understanding of your situation before you get terrified by some of what you will find on the web.

Good wishes to you on your future decision-making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2008, 05:28 AM

I am sorry you are dealing with this issue at this time, I had 1b1 cervical cancer in 2002 had a radical hyster, kept both ovaries, I had on recurrance which has nothing to do with the ovaries in 2005 on a ligamint near my bladder, havent had any problems since
Unread 11-01-2008, 07:28 AM

I had 1B1 adeno of the cervix and kept my ovaries. They shut down shortly after surgery from post-op treatments. I don't know if that has anything to do with OvCa, but I haven't had it (OvCa) mentioned to me.
Unread 11-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Hi Blueheron:

My doctor has no reason to think there is anything wrong with my overies and said the choice is up to me if I want to keep them or not. I do have HPV and that is likely the cause of my cervical cancer. I read that overian cancer is not related to HPV. The doctor says that when you have adneo carcinoma there is a 2-4% chance of developing adneo carcinoma elsewhere, she says because there is no great method to test for early stage overian cancer that removing them would only be for the purpose of reducing my risk. She figures being as I am 44 I will not use them much longer anyway. The thing is my family normally does not start menapause until mid 50's and we tested my hormone levels and they are fully functional I have not even started any type of menapause. So it comes down to this; do I want to remove them to reduce the 2-4% risk of later getting overian cancer which doesn't mean I wont get a it in a different organ. Is it worth going into instant menapause and anything related to it?

My doctor has answered most of my questions but I always think of more and can't bother her everyday. She wants me to make the decision using the facts she gave me. .. So far I am still leaning toward keeping them. I do have factors that reduce my risk of overian cancer >4 pregnancies and tubal ligation. I also never had any overian issues in the past .. no cists, pain, cramps, periods were always easy and consistant .. ..

I guess I am just trying to get all the facts before 11/11 arrives. It may all be mute anyway because if they discover that I do have lymph node involvement during the surgury then I get chemo and they die anyway.
Unread 11-01-2008, 06:39 PM

My gyn/onc recommended I keep mine. He said that the adeno rarely affects the ovaries, and my body would function better if I could hang on to them a few years longer and ease into menopause....but that was my situation and I am a few months shy of 40. Regarding the chemo, he pinned my ovaries up somehow, so in the case that I do need radiation/chemo the ovaries would not get zapped in the process. Might want to see if your doctor can do that too to protect them, just in case. Good luck!
Unread 11-01-2008, 07:59 PM

Hello, again, QA. It sounds to me as if you are in good hands. The doctor recommended removal in my case because my ovaries were encysted, the CA-125 was erratic, and I was 51. I was not experiencing any menopausal symptoms. It sounds as if you are close to menopause but not there yet. If there are no other related issues (such as those I had, and it sounds as if there are none), then I admire your doctor for urging you to make up your own mind. You might eventually need to get the ovaries removed for other reasons, anyway (some women on this site have come back to talk with us about this), but it does sound as if keeping them might involve -- for now at least -- no danger. Best wishes in the decision-making.
Unread 11-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessie
My gyn/onc recommended I keep mine. He said that the adeno rarely affects the ovaries, and my body would function better if I could hang on to them a few years longer and ease into menopause....but that was my situation and I am a few months shy of 40. Regarding the chemo, he pinned my ovaries up somehow, so in the case that I do need radiation/chemo the ovaries would not get zapped in the process. Might want to see if your doctor can do that too to protect them, just in case. Good luck!
qamanager...i think the procedure that nessie mentioned ("he pinned up my ovaries") is called ovarian transpositioning. if you type that in the hystersisters search, you will find another lady that had this procedure done. i think it's great you are researching your options...good luck!
Unread 11-02-2008, 07:55 AM

Thanks ladies. Nessie do you know if pinning the overies up was very involved or was it easy? Any additional risks of pinning during surgury?

My gut instinct tells me that losing my overies now would cause alot of issues. I have no thyroid which already means my body is at risk for bone density lose. My life is very stressful and I normally work 10 hours per day with a 3 hour commute plus take care of my family when I return. After recovery I don't want to be going through mood swings while trying to return to life/work. :-) I have enough as it is .. LOL. I also worry about increased loss of collegen in my skin. I exercise often and spend alot of money taking care of my skin .. it may become a losing battle if I suddenly start losing hormones and collegen. My last thing is that I am not yet 100% decided if I will have one more child with my husband of 2.5 years who has none. My daughter would be willing to carry the pregnancy for us as long as I pay the medical expense but I am not making that decision until I am sure I will be alive to raise my child. Removing my overies now would eliminate the option of taking out some eggs. I know that we have to make that decision soon and get some eggs but it can be done post op. To do so now would require 2 month delay to my surgury and I am not going to play with IB1 .. its not worth the risk. Thus .. I feel I have alot of things riding on my decision.

You ladies have been very helpful. Thank you so much.

Toni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register