Pain Management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Management Pain Management

Unread 11-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Pain Management

So, my abdominal hysterectomy was Weds and I came home Friday. I pride myself on being a bit of toughie but I'm trying to learn my limits. I don't like medications...especially narcotics.

Since I've been home my pain has been worst than what it was in the hospital. My staples look ok and I'm getting around but I'm wondering if I'm managing my pain right.

I was at a 2-3 at the hospital with lots of movement but home I'm at a 3 most of the time, especially when I wake up. Should I stick to the pain meds every 4 hours like at the hospital? Also, is it ok to put a sports ice pack on the incision?

Any thoughts ladies?
KYY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Pain Management

I had a TAH on 10-15 and was home in 2 days. I don't like to take pain pills either but my pain level's after I came home were more than in the hospital so I was taking mine every 4-6hrs for the first couple of day's and then eased up to taking them only in the morning when the pain was at it's worst and Motrin the rest of the time as needed. Ice works well too so check with your Dr. but I was given the OK for ice packs as I needed them. Happy Healing!!
Unread 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Pain Management

Hi KYY

I don't like taking medication either but for the first week I really do think it is sensible.

While your body is busy fighting pain it doesn't have enough time to heal too so give yourself a break and take them for the next few days at least.

You are not going to become addicted to them & you will have plenty of time to wean yourself off them in the weeks to come :-)

Let us know how you are doing

Hugs

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Pain Management

I had the same problem. I found out that most of it was my staples pulling. After I got them out it felt 100% better. Give yourself and your body a break and take your meds. I took tylenol during the day and my Hydrocone at night this worked for me. After the staples were removed I no longer needed the narcotics. Please hang in there and get a comfy pair of PJ'S and a book or lifetime and RELAX!!!! You deserve it........ Keep us posted on how your doing.
Unread 11-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Pain Management

Ice packs will prevent circulation in the wound and possibly wet it. Please check with the Doctor.
Unread 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Pain Management

KYY,
I pride myself on being a bit of a toughie with a high tolerance for pain... but... I took the meds as instructed. When I got home I was on 8 tylenol a day (2 every 6 hours) and it helped.

They took my staples out before I left the hospital (day 5) so I can't really comment on that. I did find that after about 5 days at home (so day 10) I was down to 4 tylenol a day and then a few days later none at all.

I wouldn't put ice on the incision, maybe some soothing heat (but not too hot). I used arnica cream to help with the achiness.

It does improve! really...

Keep us posted.
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Pain Management

Hi KYY...

I also don't like to take pain meds and usually have a pretty high pain tolerance level. However, my surgery was very intense, so I knew I'd have to be on pain meds for a while. After a couple of experiences of not managing my pain properly (in the hospital and also at home), I made sure to follow my Dr's instructions to "stay on top of the pain" by taking my medications exactly as prescribed (I'd set a timer and would wake up to take meds if I was sleeping). It really made a difference and I have been able to reduce/switch meds (with schedule as suggested by my Dr.) as my healing has progressed.

I also felt much much better when I got my staples out. Another thing to think about is when you were in the hospital some of the pain was probably being lessened by residual anesthesia (takes a while to wear off) and being on a regular pain management schedule.

Proper pain management can also help you with healing... you'll be able to get better quality rest if you aren't dealing with pain/discomfort. So, I'd suggest following Dr. instructions and use medication as prescribed and hopefully stay ahead of your pain/keep it under control. You'll be able to wean off meds later when you've healed more. Please check with your doctor before using any ice packs or heating pads.

Wish you all the best for a speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register