Post-Op - Hysterectomy - Oct 6, 2008 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op - Hysterectomy - Oct 6, 2008 Post-Op - Hysterectomy - Oct 6, 2008

Unread 11-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Post-Op - Hysterectomy - Oct 6, 2008

Hi, Hystersisters!

I had hysterectomy on October 6, 2008. Procedure due to very large cyst on left ovary which could not be determined to be benign or malignant without surgery. The size of cyst required that the incision ran vertically from 1 1/2 inches above belly botton down about 6 -7 inches to just above pubic bone. It was a big cut.

I must say that I was not prepared for what it would take to recuperate from surgery.

Good news, the three week post-op visit with surgeon confirmed that the final pathology was that it was benign.
Surgeon also with the check up, says that my vaginal stitches came apart and that she will need to see me in 4 weeks. (I don't understand what that means). She did caution that f I had any fever to contact her immediately. She did say that these things generally heal on their own.

I am entering week 5 and cannot "feel good". Nothing tastes right and I have no appetite for anything. I am making myself eat but it is difficult. Before surgery, I weighed in at 134, I am now between 110 and 112 pounds. Is this normal?

I am trying to get more active but I find myself exhausted easily. I am no longer taking any meds other than extra strength Tylenol and Lactulose.

I am finding myself unable to have a "good" night's sleep and I am also waking up in a sweat as well.

Just need to know if this is normal and how long will this go on until I feel better?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Suzywonton, sure hope your feeling better soon. i know everyone heals different and at a different pace.

I had surgery the same day you did for a large 15cm fibroid and stage 4 endometriosis. i had a 9 inch incision bikini cut. I am feeling real good right now. i do get tired by the afternoon but i can deal with that.

i have no problem with my appitite, not losing as much weight as you are. I think you may just be having a harder time than some. you will get better.. just be good to yourself and take one day at a time.

Best of luck and hang in there you will turn that corner soon! Bren
Unread 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM

Suzywonton....wow. that is some incision. Really do hope you take it easy. Of course your appetite is off and you're losing weight. I'm at my 4week mark today. Only have a 4 inch bikini cut incision. Removed my uterus which was filled with endometrial stage 1 cysts. I'm free of it all. Feel great and I'm sure you will be too. But that is a very large cut and needs alot more time than most of us to heal.
Best of health to everyone.
Gina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Suzywonton: I too am finding that nothing tastes right this week and last night found everything very salty which is crazy since I am a salt fanatic. I am not losing weight though because I just continue to eat my fruits/vegetables/protein as directed to speed healing.

I am much less tired this week and also was not prepared for being as exhausted as I was the first couple of weeks. It has been three days since I had an afternoon nap and I am now sleeping completely through the night. I am no longer waking up in a sweat which I did before my surgery because I menopausal for 10 years preop. I wonder though if the removal of the ovaries has finally regulated the hormone level because I feel great in that regard.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register