Bladder spasm during/after urination and when urine enters bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder spasm during/after urination and when urine enters bladder Bladder spasm during/after urination and when urine enters bladder

Unread 11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Bladder spasm during/after urination and when urine enters bladder

Hi all, I'd love your insight into my bladder concern/observation. I'm 5.5 weeks post-op. I've just been to see the doctor for my second check-up. I've brought this issue up with her, and she's taken a urine sample, so I may be finding out soon if there's an infection.

My situation is that since this past Sunday afternoon, my bladder has been feeling not right at all. I've been urinating a little more frequently, and during urination, esp. at the end, my bladder seems like it has a spasm. Very uncomfortable, and it takes 5-15 seconds for the sensation to dissipate. It doesn't feel like an infection though. It started happening after I had several cups of hot chocolate (perhaps chocolate is irritating?)

Since having my surgery (and having the foley in for a while), one thing that I've really noticed/realized is that whenever my kidneys dump urine into my bladder, that's also when I get an urge/spasm. Before my surgery I often had intense urges to pee, though they were never accompanied by incontinence. I mentioned this to the doc, but she didn't give me any insight into it. Anyone have similar experience?

FYI - I do not drink alcohol, but I do drink coffee (2 cups/day) and diet coke (20 oz. or so a day).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Suzanne,
It's common to experience different bladder sensations after surgery because the bladder is jostled around during the surgery. I'm glad the Dr is checking to rule out a UTI. Bladder spasms can be very painful. If it's bothering you, talk to your Dr about anti-spasmodic medications such as Detrol LA. Sometimes you just need them for a short time until your bladder calms down.
Just one thing, your comment about more spasms when your "kidneys dump urine into my bladder". Urine is constantly passed from your kidneys to your bladder. It comes out in drops every few seconds. You get the sensation to urinate when your bladder reaches a certain capacity. That urge to urinate can occur when a very small amount of urine is in the bladder for different reasons but especially if the bladder lining is irritated. That's a common occurance after catheterization.
Let me know how things are going.
Michelle
Unread 11-04-2008, 08:43 PM

That's interesting that it drips out frequently. I definitely had a different sense of what was happening than that. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM

My doc put me on ditropan for my bladder spasms - I had a huge bladder tear during my hysterectomy and the spasms since my surgery are almost unbearable.

I notice the most spasms when I reach some unknown "tipping point" of bladder fullness. I also spasm at the end of urination.

Talk to your doc about the meds - they are really helping me.
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:06 PM

I wonder if it is the caffeine? I know that caffeine can be irritating to the bladder. My Dr told me to cut out caffeine. That means that i drink caffeine free diet coke, caffeine free coffee.
And YES, THERE IS caffeine in CHOCOLATE. That is sad, because without chocolate, sometimes I wonder if all this is worth it. Tyr to cut down on the stuff and see if that makes a difference. I know, that I can tell a difference in my urges when I have had caffeine! Sorry for the bad news
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks for your insights. For years I've had periodic very strong urges to pee. However, this past Sunday, after I drank 2-3 cups of hot chocolate (I was outside on a cold day watching a soccer game), I had very painful voids. It last for 2 days. Today things seem to be getting back more to "normal". So, I still have strong urges, but not as much pain. I read that milk chocolate is more irritating than white chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, which certainly seems to be my case.
Unread 11-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Good Luck. I have very strong urges ubt I can't say thay have been painful. I would talk to the DR about it as soon as possible
Unread 11-06-2008, 11:26 AM

I really like Dark Chocolate. Maybe there is a chance that I can have a little bit of that and not "pay for it" later. Thanks for the info. A Day without Chocolate is like a day withour sunshine!
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM

After nearly a week, the doc's office got back to me. I do have a bladder/ut infection and have been prescribed bactrim for 1 week. Phys Asst left a message for me, so I don't know much about the infection. I'm hoping she'll call me back.

Funny that the pain didn't continue to get worse. It actually has slacked off a bit. I wouldn't have followed up with the doc regarding the pain as I just figured it was the surgery discomfort.
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:54 AM

I spoke with the nurse, definitely a bladder infection. I can't tell you the sense of relief that I have now knowing that this discomfort is not surgery related. I was convinced, since the worst of the spasms no longer were happening, that what I was experiencing was just a part of the healing process.

Thanks for all your insights. I hope you all are well, or are healing nicely.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register