The Girdle! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
The Girdle!

My paperwork says they reccomend we wear the support girdle for 6-8 weeks?? Other than the gas and the weakness this girdle has been driving me crazy. Has anyone been told they have to wear this? How are you coping with it? Its so hot and uncomfortable. Are we supposed to never take it off even when sleeping?? Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
The Girdle!

I'm bumping this thread, please does anyone know if we can take the girdle or swelly band off at all like at night?
Unread 11-08-2008, 04:00 PM
The Girdle!

I own a swelly belly band, but I have since read that they are concidered dated as the recomendation is now to encourage your tummy muscles to do the work.. I realise that is contraversial and would just add my opinion and that is I think there is most definatly a place for it with a hysterectomy however I feel its ibenefits when going on my walks, as that is when the swelly belly weight is tiresome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
The Girdle!

My Dr did not require that I wear one at all. It had been more comfortable for me to wear a light support panty during the day but I love my cotton granny panties to sleep in! It sounds like all Drs have different requirements based on your individual surgery so check with yours.
Unread 11-10-2008, 05:28 AM
The Girdle!

My Doctor also did not recommend a gridle....In fact he was against it...I am 4.5 weeks post op and have been visiting my doc every 2 weeks. during my 4th week post op visit I raised this question again and he said the gridle will push muscles back but is not a solution for strengthening abdominal muscles. He recommended walking for now and swimming and abdominal excercises later.
I have been using cotton granny panties since the operation and love them. Will not go back to my bikini panties until my swollen belly goes back to its pre-op shape. (I am determined it will).
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
The Girdle!

My doctors suggested I wear an abdominal binder while recovering from surgery, but not to wear it while sleeping or lying down. In addition to TAH/BSO I also had a panniculectomy, so I have a 22" incision... so reasons for me to wear it may be different from others. The kind I wear is a big strip of stretchy/stiff material with a velcro strip to close it (very adjustable).

There have been times where I absolutely couldn't stand having it on! So I'd go take it off and lie down. I also found that after lots of activity or after eating I'd be very uncomfortable until I lessened the tightness a bit, which brought relief. I've also found that having something like a light tank top or t-shirt between the binder and my skin has been a great help (you think it would make you hotter, but for me the reverse seems to be true).
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:16 AM
The Girdle!

I had a abdominal binder I wore for the first week and after I stopped wearing it I felt a little better. I had a rectecel repair ( I am not sure if I should just say rectecel or rectecel repair) and once I stopped wear the band the pressure went away in that area. A few days later I tried the band again and it didn't take long for me to take it back off. I had the same problem with control panites so me an Victoria Secret panties are friends again. 7 weeks out from a LAVH BSO Bladder Prefix Rectecel 2 hernia repair job.
Unread 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
The Girdle!

Just my 2 cents.....

I got through without a girdle or any other form of tummy support. when I needed it I used my hand to hold my tummy and make it feel safe :-)

Katy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register