Food??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Food???

I know this might sound a little weird - but I am trying to plan ahead - as I am currently working two jobs and need to prepare.

I would like to make some things in advance and possibly freeze them for later. Any suggestions? Are there things that I am not going to feel like eating?? Should I just plan light meals??

Thanks

Marie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Food???

I have not done any of this yet as my surgery is coming up on Dec 5th. But in the past I have made homemade Chili and Chicken soup in large amounts and freeze it. Chili and soups are an easy thing to make that freezes well.

However, if you decide to make Chicken soup, I would suggest Chicken soup with rice instead of egg noodles as the egg noodles don't handle freezing well and they end up very mushy.

I have heard that Turkey freezes well but we have never tried this, we usually eat it all up as leftovers.
Unread 11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Food???

I dont really know how our appetites will be while we are recovering, but I am concerned about this also.
Whenever I have had a baby, I always prepare meals ahead:
lasagna freezes well - I boil the noodles, fry the beef, add in my fave spag. sauce, and layer noodles, meat, cheese, repeat... so easy!
my mom's yummy dish freezes well too:
cook up 1lb ground beef - drain, add in 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can beef broth, season with salt, add in what ever pre-cooked veggies you want, potatoes are good. Cook for about 10min on low, freeze!

I also have a super easy soup recipe that keeps for atleast a week in the fridge, I plan on getting my dd to cook it for me once I get home, super low fat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Food???

I pretty much ate my normal food but I would suggest you freeze in smaller portions to normal as you may not have much of an appetite to start with.

Soups. stews, casseroles are all great but I struggled with anything spicy as it made the gas pains worse.

Good luck!

Katy
Unread 11-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Food???

I couldn't bear the sight of solid food for about 6 days post-op, but I craved soup. I didn't have time to make any before my surgery, so I just bought cartons of those new V8 soups, and that has served me well. I also ate scrambled eggs. I would get hungry but then find I could eat only a little bit. Sherbet, Jello...kid food like that. But now, on the 8th day, I'm famished and could hoover through a Beef Wellington if given the chance, I think.

And I agree with Katy...avoid gassy foods at all costs. Seriously.
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Food???

I made and froze loads of things the weeks before my surgery and I'm sooo happy I did it! Woman's day cookbook has an "investment cooking" section that is wonderful. I imagine it is available online and I know there are lots of other websites on this subject, too. I have enjoyed it so much that I intend to cook ahead on a regular basis. The other sisters are right-make sure you have some nice light things on hand for your first few days.
Good luck and happy cooking,
Judy
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Food???

I wasn't allowed to eat post op until I had gas. From not being able to eat after midnight the night before surgery (My last meal was actually at 7pm) until I farted, 28 hours had passed and I was starving. My fart was rewarded with a serving of pudding (Kitchen was closed because it was 4am). I was hungry but afraid to eat bacause I didn't want to feel constipated. Like the others are telling you, don't eat gassy foods. Also, don't be suprised if it takes you a few days to have a BM.

MollyAnne
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Food???

Nurse78, you just made me laugh with your pudding reward story! Thanx I needed that.
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Food???

I started thinking about the constipation thing too. Maybe some "Activia" around the house would not be the worst thing. A light snack that would hopefully get things moving??
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Food???

I have a bottle of milk of magnesia in my cupboard already, along with Gas-x pills.I am taking the hints very seriously to avoid constipation and gas. BM's and me have a long torrid history of clashing! lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register