trying to make a decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

trying to make a decision trying to make a decision

Unread 11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
trying to make a decision

I have had difficult periods all my life. It is to the point now that I never know when the bleeding will start or stop. I bleed alot and at the heaviest times I feel dizzy, lightheaded and want to vomit. I have a very hard time getting the pain under control during my period. When I don't have my period I always have some form of pain. I have a very difficult time leading a normal life. I don't like to go too far from home because of the pain and bleeding. Does anyone here think I can just tell my doctor that I want a hyster? I truly don't want to go thru the process of elmination. I just want all this pain and bleeding to end. I am 41 years old and do no want any children. I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced the same problems I'm going thru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Hi Kellykel,
I had the same issues but also had cramps to me knees with each cycle. I was so tired of it that when I went to my OB I told her of all my issues and she said what would you like to do since you are done having kids and I said take it out and thats what we did. I was 41 when I had my surgery and I don't regret it at all.
She had me go for an ultra sound to make sure my ovaries were ok, they were fine so I kept them so I wouldn't have to do any hrts after surgery. She saw from the ultra sound my uterus was prolasped a little so thats what we used for the insurance company to cover the costs.
I hope you can get some relief from all this as I know exactly how you feel. If you are really close to your ob maybe she/he will do it for you.
Take care and good luck......keep us posted
Unread 11-15-2008, 01:36 AM

YES. That is exactly the reason I got mine.

I saw a Dateline one night and it was about a woman who had a history terrible periods. While her husband was at work she bled so heavily that she fainted and hemmoraged to death! I thought oh my gosh, that could be me! My period is going to kill me!!!!!!! I think about this woman a lot. Her husband told the story because he wanted to warn woman and did not think they talk about this stuff. I think he was right.
I have never been so free to talk about this stuff till I found this site! lol.

Good luck!! I hope you get what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2008, 09:44 AM

Your story is so much like mine! I had all the same symptoms, anemia, can't leave the house, stained clothes, ech! I say, don't let your periods hijack your life! I had my hyst a month ago and haven't felt this good in years. I smile every time I remember, no. more. periods. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Unread 11-15-2008, 04:34 PM

cats3, castlebound and daphne6 would you mind my asking if you had any problems with your healthcare provider to pay for the surgery for the symptoms we all have?
Unread 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM

i had no problems. my doctor said that for insurance purposes he would state for the record that I had abnormal bleeding and pain with intercourse (both true). that was enough to make the surgery a necessity.
good luck
Unread 11-15-2008, 04:53 PM

thank you so much for your reply. I will be seeing my doctor next month. I'm crossing my fingers that he will agree to the surgery. I need to start living my life again.
Unread 11-15-2008, 05:16 PM

And if he wont, I bet you could find a doc that will. Heavy, heavy bleeding and alot of pain is not normal and know one should have to live like that, especially today.....good luck!
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Hi Kelly,
My healtcare provider had no problems paying for it since my OB stated the reason being I had a prolapsed uterus and very abnormal bleeding. Hope this helps you.
Keep us posted
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:49 PM

What you're able to do may depend on your doctor. Until 6 months ago when she retired, I had a doctor who wouldn't do a hysterectomy unless either cancer was involved or we had tried less invasive procedures first. She said that there is just too much we don't yet know about what the uterus does besides serve as a womb. In fact, one day when I was bleeding all over the exam table and in great pain, I asked for a hysterectomy and she said that it wasn't yet time for that conversation.

Both then and now, I have appreciated her approach, because I wasn't ready for a hysterectomy two years ago. However, if I had really wanted to have one at that time, I would have needed to find another doctor because she wouldn't do it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register