Doc told me to get a girdle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doc told me to get a girdle Doc told me to get a girdle

Unread 11-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Doc told me to get a girdle

I went to my 2week post op appt yesterday. All is well. He told me that I have been doing really well with following post op instructions. He also told me I should go out and get a girdle to wear. Why? Does this help healing, swelling, or is it just a vanity thing? I'm wearing maternity jeans because they are comfortable. They don't look bad and I don't mind wearing them until I fit in to my old jeans.

Thanks

MollyAnne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2008, 10:28 AM

Hmm, I would think it would be more of a vanity thing... But, I dont know..
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:40 AM

Hi MollyAnne

Maybe it is a support thing, my tummy always felt better when it had support in the early days.

But maternity jeans have support at the front already don't they? Maybe he didn't realise what you are wearing...

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM

My Dr ordered a support binder for me before I left the castle, it really help alot in the first few weeks, when the slightest movements caused pain, car rides were less painful as well.
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Yes, it is a support issue. A girdle sounds a bit extreme to me, as I think of them as the heavy duty things my grandmother used to wear. You should check out the store on this site, and you'll see a couple of other options, including an abdominal binder (almost like a very wide, stretchy belt), and support panties. Basically, you just want something to provide a bit of external support and compression for your recovering belly. Trust me, the extra support feels great!
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:33 PM

I've been wearing the big abdominal binder thing for 3 weeks and it is crazing me. Are we supposed to be wearing this around the clock? Even though I lost all this weight it doesn't fit into any of my trousers. grrrr. Do you think that a smaller more like a panty girdle would be okay too? My Doc told me it isn't for vanity it is for support to keep from getting all loose and plump and that it helps the muscles and other bit go into the correct place after surgery. What are all of you doing. I had the TAH.
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Hi,

I bought a girdle becasue I felt like I needed some support around my tummy - I wore it all day last week friday (3 weeks pos-op), when I was wearing it I felt great - I've found the answer to my problems. When I woke up the next day my stomache was sore and its still sore now almost 1 week later. I think if you are going to get one - get a seam free one and only wear it for a couple of hours per day. Good Luck...
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:14 PM

I'm 5 wks Post op, and what Ive found works Really well is wrapping a WIDE Ace bandage around my abdomen. Supports the belly, but easily adjusts as far as tension.. as the girdle/ panty's are sized.. they are some times too tight, or not tight enough.. The Ace bandage you can control the amount of Pressure,according to the tightness of the wrapping. It fits easily under all my clothes, and can be wrapped high enough to completely avoid the incision site.. I only wore it when I was up and around to provide support, when rsting i took it off...
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks all for your answers. I will definently be trying some support stuff.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register