LAVH/BSO - Day at the Beach | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators. is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH/BSO - Day at the Beach LAVH/BSO - Day at the Beach

Thread Tools
Unread 05-30-2000, 06:57 AM
LAVH/BSO - Day at the Beach

Hi there,
I will attempt to quickly tell of my experience with LAVH/BSO. My surgery was October 26, 1999.

My day started with a nice drive to the Beach(I mean hospital) at 5AM. I had to be there for check in by 5:30. That was probably the worst part, sitting in that room with all those other people who were about to have surgery. Anyway then they took me into this other area drew some blood gave me a shot of heparin and did a rather complete physical evalutaion. After that I was taken to the pre-op area where the anesthesia guy came to talk to me. First I got some med student who wanted to put my IV in my right hand(I am right handed) I told him he was welcome to do that as long as he planned to spend the first 24hrs in my room to feed me, I explained to him that I eat alot. He did not seem to like that idea, and when the real doctor came he somehow managed to find a vein on my left side. I was thinking I might have to do the procedure for this younger guy but luckily an expert showed up. I do not have any phobias about needles or IV, and frankly can barely feel them. I had this one in the crook of my elbow in the place where they would normally draw blood, and I have to say that it was WAY more comfortable long term than when they put them in your hand. I did not know they could do them this way but will always ask for that if I needan IV in the future.

At that point while talking to the anesthesiologist...I guess I went to sleep because that is the last thing I remember. I was glad that they put me to sleep before the operating room because that is just plain scarey looking and this way was so much easier.

When I awoke, I remember thinking that I did not hurt that much. I also remembered being glad I could see. I learned from my last surgery that the hospital always wants to take your glasses away, and I am blind as a bat without my glasses which adds to fear and confusion and I did not want that, so I asked if my doctor would take my glasses and she told me to tell them to tape my glasses case to the chart and not to let them tell me to do otherwise. That's what I did and I woke up in recovery with them on. The only pain I had at that point was rectal pain. I had a morphine pump but somehow it did not touch this intense pressure/pain. I was later told that this is from the bruising during a vaginal hysterectomy and later checked for myself and yes there were bruises. It seemed like a rather short time until I was in my room, and doing pretty well. I had those blow up things on my legs, but no catheter, so naturally the first thing I had to do was go to the bathroom. I told the nurse I had to go to the bathroom and she wanted to bring me a bed pan but I told her I wanted to get up cuz I hate bedpans. Getting up took about 4 tries before I could do it without passing out. It was actually a bit comical, and I am sure the morphine made it even funnier. When I finally got to the bathroom they sat me down and I couldn't go...they turned the water on etc and nothing. So back to bed. We did this drill about 3 times before I finally had success and I was glad that I did not have to deal with the catheter again. Urinating was very slow at first from the swelling and I was intensely thirsty so I had to go every few minutes..... the nurses said I could dispense with the leggings since I was up more than I was down. They could not believe how well I was doing. The walking seemed to right the rectal pain thing so I was feeling very good and not really using the pump all that much. I could honestly not even tell except for feeling woozy that I had had major surgery. I got a roommate shortly after me who had a surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy, and the poor thing could not move or get up. Her husband kept telling her..."Look at your roommate, she has had a total hysterectomy and she is all over the place and you are just laying there". She did not have a pump and I think that makes a big difference.

My stay was rather uneventful I was eating and going to the bathroom, and my phone kept ringing, which was nice because I felt good and talking on the phone was good medicine. I went home the following day in the evening. My doctor gave me the option of one more day but I wanted to be in my own bed. Of course when the time came to get in the car and go I wanted to change my mind, but all in all I did fine.

I came home on tylenol 3 and anaprox. I am allergic to percoset and all the others like that make me hyper and itchy. This drug combo worked fine for me and I could sleep very well. I stayed on the pain pills for the first 2 days home and then because I was constipated I decided to stop taking them. Interestingly enough I stopped and did not notice a dramatic pain so I figured I really did not need them. I really believe that my pain from the surgery not counting the rectal pain right after surgery was way less that what I was experiencing every month. About 8hrs after stopping the meds my constipation finally cleared and then of course it seems I could not stop going, but I have heard that is common. I took acidopholus and that seemed to help normalize things in a hurry.

I have to say even the night after my surgery I felt better than I had in years. I can not explain it, but something was different. Besides no pain I had more energy in a certain way. Hmmmm maybe it was the morphine???

In closing I must say that my trip to the beach turned out to be very relaxing and I feel like a new woman.
Love to all,
Sponsored Links

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
0 Reply, Started By Weiser
0 Reply, Started By caddy
0 Reply, Started By Millie
0 Reply, Started By danzarina
0 Reply, Started By JulieS


Hysterectomy News

December 5,2021


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!