Extremely Excited! DD received contract to publish 1st novel! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Extremely Excited! DD received contract to publish 1st novel! Extremely Excited! DD received contract to publish 1st novel!

Unread 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Extremely Excited! DD received contract to publish 1st novel!

DD just called me. She received a contract from a publisher to publish her first novel! This has been her dream since she was in 5th grade. She is a sophomore in college, now.

Of course, I thought her book was great. "But you're my mom," she said. Now she knows I wasn't kidding! The publisher told her they were very interested in her book and in future endeavors - oooh, will it be a trilogy?!! Maybe she can pay off her college loans AND support me in the way I WILL be accustomed to! HA!

I'm sooooo proud! Can you feel my joy eeking through the internet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2008, 04:59 AM

That is wonderful news. You deserve to be proud. Nothing compares to seeing your children achieve their dreams! Please let us know when it is published, so all of us can brag we "know" the author.
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:26 AM

Tell your DD congratulations from me. That is so exciting. I don't blame you a bit for being a proud mom

What's the book's title so that we can look for it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM

Wow, that is fantastic news!

I used to write poetry as a youngster and wish I had carried it on so it is great to see someone achieve their dream.

I hope it get's published worldwide so we get to read it over here, make sure we get the title.

Hugs

Katy
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanus
Tell your DD congratulations from me. That is so exciting. I don't blame you a bit for being a proud mom

What's the book's title so that we can look for it?

Well, so far it's saved on my hard drive as "Allyson's book!" Ha! She likes the title "The Guardians" but will have to work with the editor before it is finalized. She wrote the book last year and shared it with me last spring. I was the first person she shared it with. I really liked it, and I read A LOT of young adult literature!

It is a young adult novel - supernatural fantasy full of suspense with a climactic battle between good and evil. What I especially liked was her heroine - a grumpy, angsty, cynical teen who is unwittingly swept into this incredible and unpredictable predictment where her own cynicism becomes the key to her salvation - a character very much like my beautiful DD, Allyson! I'm a character as well - I recognized some of my own quirkiness in the heroine's mom!!!!! I said, "C'mon Allyson, I know I'm not the only mom in the world who won't let her children throw their backpacks on the leather sofa and can make a skillet meal out of anything!!!!!" She said - "You picked up on that, did you? I thought it was a nice touch myself. At least I didn't tell about the time you...." (Shhh! our little secret. Tee-hee!) Gotta love her!

Thanks for joining me in my excitement!
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:24 PM

Congratulations to Allyson! I am another who would love to read her book. Let us know when it will be published and if we can buy it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area.
Like the others, I agree you have good reason to be proud! Does your daughter get to keep her original work? That will be something she should keep for herself to share with her children, her legacy they can brag about! Allyson: You go girl!!!
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:41 AM

Hi there Bonnie!

I am so very thrilled for your DD--congratulations are in order for all of you, indeed!! You should be one very proud Mom--Allyson's dream is coming true, and there is likely no better feeling on earth than seeing your children achieve their goals. And, as an aspiring author (non-fiction) myself, I can truly relate to all of the hard work, time, dedication and effort that Allyson has put into her novel so far, and will continue to do so.

Best wishes and congratulations again to her and your family, from the bottom of my heart on this and all her future endeavors. Please take care, and please do keep us posted!

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM

Well, the contract is in the hands of the lawyer right now. Excitement is waning as she has recommended that we negotiate some of the items with the publisher - the long process is just beginning. The publisher is a small Christian-based company that requires an author investment before publishing - in other words, the author finances the "risk," similar to self-publishing only the company will edit and market for her. Our lawyer thinks the author investment fee is unusually high and suggests that Allyson negotiate for a lower fee or possibly seek another publisher. Allyson isn't looking forward to contacting them and is afraid they will turn her down because she is a "new" author. Our lawyer wanted to consult with a colleague about the details of the contract and will give us further recommendations sometime in the next week or two.

In the meantime, Allyson is focusing on finishing final papers and tests for this semester at college. I am glad she has some distractions and isn't dwelling on the "what-ifs" of this contract.

She forwarded me the first three chapters of her second novel to read and edit. Wow, she's talented! And I am thinking of her work like a teacher would, as I am a teacher. I tried to reassure her that if ths publisher doesn't work out, she shouldn't be too worried. They thought her novel was good enough to publish and others will too. She just hasn't made any other queries for it. Her writing is phenomenal and she will have a wonderful future in writing!
Unread 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Hi Bonnie

Sorry that the excitement has been tempered a bit but it is still exciting!

How many people of her age have even written a novel, let alone had an offer to publish it?

There are many, many publishing companies out there and if this one doesn't work out I am sure another one will. And maybe they will want to sign her for mega bucks so that she can keep her mother in the manner to which she would like to become accustomed too :-)

I just hope that she can keep writing, even if it doesn't work out this time - look at JK Rowling, she had to write in a coffee shop as she couldn't afford to heat her apartment!

I know you are still hugely proud of her :-)

Hugs

Katy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register