To bring stuff or not to bring that's the ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To bring stuff or not to bring that's the ? To bring stuff or not to bring that's the ?

Unread 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM
To bring stuff or not to bring that's the ?

Hi all!
Well I await Dec 16th anxiously and was wondering for any post op sisters could you tell me is it worth bringing like my own slippers, nightgowns etc or should I just forget all that stuff and just use the hospital supplies? Was there anything that you felt, "thank goodness I brought that"!? I am having a lot done in addition to my TAH so I don't know if I'll even feel like using anything. Plus I will be having the incision on my thigh too from where they'll harvest the fascia for my sacral colpopexy so with 2 incisions I'm afraid I'll ruin any of my nightgowns with blood, etc. Any advice?
PS. How do I NOT think about the surgery as it approaches? Everyone keeps telling me to stop worrying and just don't think about it until that day...WHAT how can I NOT think about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2008, 11:34 AM

You are having a lot more done than what I had, so we aren't really comparing apples to apples.

I brought my own slippers but didn't use them, I used the ones the hospital gave me. I also brought a robe but didn't use it either, it interferred with my iv, used what the hospital had.

What I wished I would have had was some magazines. (My friend ended up bringing me some ) After a while I just couldn't watch tv any more! I needed something that I could read and set down when needed.

For me personally, I didn't think about my upcoming surgery at all. I stayed away from any websites (sorry!) that would bring my thoughts to surgery, didn't really talk about it with friends or family. I am working on my masters degree, so I just kept super busy with my school projects. Stayed busy with my kids and their stuff, as well as my dh. I exercised almost every day and had fun conversations with friends that kept my mind occupied (I was lucky, my surgery was right after the election so we were always talking politics!)

Keep your chin up And keep focusing on things that are under your control!
Unread 11-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Hi Krazykatt

I took my own slippers and one nightgown that I didn't put on until any chance of bleeding had been dealt with & the catheter, drips and things had been removed.

I was really pleased that I took my iPhone loaded up with music and games but didn't need any of my books or magazines as I had a problem with concentration. I was in the castle during the Olympics and spent time watching then when I wasn't asleep or walking the halls though.

You won't really be able to stop thinking about the surgery! But what I tried to do was concentrate on the things I could control (getting up to date at work, preparing the house, stocking the cupboards, packing my bag, loading the freezer etc) and as little time as possible on the things I couldn't control (how will it go, will I hurt, will I be me after, what about sex, what about driving, what about work etc).

Good luck!

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks guys I have been trying to clean house and get things organized especially since my wonderful mom is going to come stay to help care for my son. I have been making food and freezing it etc. Yes it's VERY hard to NOT think about it. Magazines sounds like a good idea and maybe I'll go buy a good book. For a while it seemed far away and now I feel like the weeks are zooming by.
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Hi there,

I thought I would have liked to bring my own Pj's, but the hospital ones were much easier. I did like having my own slippers and pink housecoat (after the IV and catheter were out).

I did a lot of sleeping and went for wlks when I was up to it. I didn't have a tv but I did look at some magazines, my ipod was nice to have.

I drove myself crazy until the day of the surgery....I didn't think about it the day of. The bottom line is you can't stress about what you can't control. Think positive and deal with everything ONE DAY AT A TIME.

I hope this helps you.

Cheryl
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:16 PM

I brought my own slippers. Big fuzzy green ones. They made me feel more comfy. I also had to hace chap stick. Don't forget it. You will use it alot I had a pair of oversized sweat pants for when I was freezing and the cathader was gone. I-pod was great. I could not focus on TV even though I tried. Other than that, I just brought soap and sampoo etc. I was glad I did as I had a reaction to the body soap they had in the hospital. i did bring my phone too so I could text people at my lesiure and they did not have to fear calling and waking me up. Good luck!
Unread 11-20-2008, 04:20 PM

As for thinking about the surgery... good luck, I couldn't stop. I did a TON of cleaning and surfed the web (This site) all the time.

As for the hospital, I wasn't there long enough to need anything but my change of clothes to go home in. Magazines, music, comfy clothes to go home in, if you have long hair something to keep it out of your face, and lotion. Since you will be there overnight you may want your own pillow and throw blanket. (You will probably use them on your car ride home too) They keep the hospital so cold.
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:18 PM

I ended up just using the hospital gown and robe; they also gave me some socks with rubber soles that I used when I started walking the halls.

My DH brought me the newpaper and mags, but I never read any of them. Actually, I was a big lump during my recovery. I had problems with the anaesthesia, so for several days post-op I was in ICU and couldn't bear to open my eyes. I really don't know what I did with myself. I brought my MP3 player but didn't use it. I DID bring...and use...deodorant, hairbrush, toothbrush and toothpaste and lip balm.

I thought a lot about my surgery before it took place, but while I had the usual worries, I tried to be constructive in my thinking. I didn't obsess about it, but I took the time to prepare myself and to do the things that needed doing before I was out of commission. It was pointless to ignore what was about to happen; sometimes I was really fearful, and other times I was more pragmatic.

I'm just glad it's over.
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:11 PM

I took PJ's and a robe but didn't wear them.

I did repeatedly say THANK GOD I BOUGHT CHAPSTICK, it was so helpful in recovery when my lips got so dry .

Don't forget to take chapstick and give it to the person who will be with you in recovery, was the first thing I asked my hubby when i woke up, he said " hi baby, I said..hey,do you have my chapstick"
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM

With TAH incision I needed nightgowns not pjs especially with catheter and stuff. And slippers and robe as it was cold. And toiletries and a small amount of make up. Most important were nice sweats and top and easy shoes to wear home. The robe was important for walking the halls.
All the very best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register