Increased discomfort 2.5 weeks post-op. Is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Increased discomfort 2.5 weeks post-op. Is this normal? Increased discomfort 2.5 weeks post-op. Is this normal?

Unread 11-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Increased discomfort 2.5 weeks post-op. Is this normal?

Hi sisters,

I'm now 2.5 weeks post LAVH. Today, I'm noticing more discomfort in my belly and around the little incisions. When I walk, I can really feel things sort of pulling inside. Like tight muscle kind of feelings. I did go out yesterday for 1 hour to Walmart and the bank. I walked very slowly and didn't over do it. (I think). I did have a couple of light bags to carry from Walmart..... Hmmmm.

Is it normal to have a "step back" in the recovery process? Or is this a normal thing to happen and I shouldn't worry?

I see my surgeon on Monday for a scheduled visit. I just like hearing from those who have gone through it!

Thanks so much,
Willow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Totally normal! I felt great 1 week out and thought"this is a breeze" until about 2 weeks then the weird things started happening. Pulls,pains here and there, backaches etc.
I think between 2 and 3.5 weeks was probably the most uncomfortable time I had in the whole experience!!
I am just over 8 weeks now and unless I think about it I almost forget I had it done!

TVH RSO
Sept 24/08
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Oh thank you so much Stella!! I really needed to hear that I was normal, lol.

I felt like a million bucks the first week to 10 days out too! I'm glad to know that this is just a short phase I need to go through.

I also have Fibromyalgia and Lupus to manage. So myrecovery might be a bit slower than other's.

It's great encouragement to hear how well you're doing 8 weeks out! Thanks again for your quick reply!

Willow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2008, 01:46 AM

Hi Willow

Just a little tip!

When you are carrying anything, even light bags, I found it hurt me less to carry them up against my chest than hanging down like normal. A hanging bag with a small carton of milk seemed to pull on my tummy.

I also think that as we feel better we start to do a little more and then notice other aches and pains. As long as you are being careful, following Dr's orders and the checklist here, it really is normal.

Happy healing!

Katy
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Hi Katy!

Thank you so much for the great advice! I read over the checklist here and i'm not doing anything I shouldn't, so that is good!

Your idea for carrying light/small bags is excellent. I did find that when I carried them, I felt things pull a bit in my abdomen. So I'll take your suggestion and try that. Although, I think I'm going to pull back a bit on what I'm doing and make sure I don't cause a problem!

I am feeling better all-round today. I really took it easy yesterday and got a really good, long sleep last night. My swelly belly is even less swollen today. Gotta keep taking it easy!

Thanks again!
Willow
Unread 11-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Hi Willow,

I had my hysterecomy last December, I was told no lifting, straining etc, using the abd. muscle for 6 weeks. Mine was vaginal robotic removal with ovaries out too. I started to have the pulling feeling about two weeks post op. My doctor said, upon removing these organs, alot of pulling is tissue, caturizing occurs and stitching goes on. Reattaching the vaginal/cervix area...ect.etc....happens. They didn't want me to pull anything apart. The body must heal. Not to scare you, though you may feel pretty good, I was surprised on how I felt, as if I didn't have the surgery, but when I did to much, I was reminded to slow down. I then started to bleed a little more around 2.5 weeks, scared me. Doctor said to lay low, it was normal, if it becomes excessive, then you need to be seen quickly. The stitches they used on me dissolve, therefor as it dissovled the tissues would react to this mending and create a little bleeding. If excessive, it may have torn the tissue. Just take it easy, pamper yourself for now. In 6-8 weeks you should feel pretty good. The belly stays swollen for a while. Body has to readjust to the drastic change, tramua that has occured. We can't see what is going on inside. Hope this helps.

Lucy
Total Hysterectomy/Appy - 45 yrs. old
Unread 11-23-2008, 02:23 PM

Hi Lucy,

Yes, this does help, thank you! Any feedback about how we recover is so helpful.

I'm having some very quick, sharp pain up high in my vagina today. I'm guessing it's where my cervix used to be. The pain only lasted a couple of minutes and it wasn't constant, just quick, sharp jabs. Made me get all goosebumpy and want to cross my legs! I'm glad that's over!

I haven't witnessed any stitches yet. Mine are dissolvable too. Is it also normal to have hardly any discharge? If so, this is AWESOME!! LOL.

Thanks Lucy, I'm looking forward to being at the 8 week mark!
Willow
Unread 11-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Hey Willow,

I had the same sensation. Prickly, feelings from time to time in the upper vaginal area. I didn't have much discharge in the beginning, but it did come as I was healing. You may see colored discharge. mine was light brown at first. Dry blood I think, then it got pinkish, then as I mention before I started to bleed a little, fresh red blood. I had cramping too. You won't see the stitches, they're internal, they will dissolve away. They won't pass throught. Be cautious in lifiting, bending etc...etc....

Are you an any hormones?

Later down the road of recovery I began to notice a strange smell, then I started to itch, some what like a vaginal infection. I told my doctor, she looked in at the 8-9 week mark. She said everything looked really good. I work in the medical profession, one down fall is the other medical professionals who know me, kind of over look my complaints. Anyway it went on until April-May 2008. Got a little more uncomfortable, I began to spot, more after sex. When she hear I was spotting, she looked again. She said I was a over healer. My vaginal/cervix area was still healing it formed a over growth of tissue, she had to catuerize this off in her office, wasn't very comfortable, but I got through it. If I had waitied, she would have had to do surgery, put me under to fix. She then prescribed diflucan for the vaginal itching and a vaginal gel call metronidazole 0.75% for the smell and discomfort I was feeling in my belly, cramping, bloating etc. She smelled it too, and said it was a bacterial infection that can occur post op. The gel was inserted using a tube provided, twice a day for 5 days. After this started I started to feel really good, like this surgery was well worth doing. Now the only challege I have is balancing my hormones. I'm on estertest hs, they had to add a estrogen patch. Started that today. Other than the hormones, I feel pretty good. My doctor said I will be on esterest, estrogen with testoterone mixer for only a couple of years. Good for young women, she says anyway. :-)

Lucy...
Unread 11-23-2008, 03:53 PM

Hi Lucy,

Wow, you've really been through a time haven't you? I am on a constant look out for infections or bad smells. I have a suppressed immune system due to the medications I take for my Lupus. So that puts me at a greater risk for infections. I'm a real good healer though! I never get infections of any kind, so here's hoping I continue in that direction.

My ovaries were left, so I still have all my hormones. Although I already notice a difference in how I feel! I think my PMS symptoms will be much less severe.

I am being cautious with lifting and bending. If I do have to bend to pick something up, I use my leg muscles and go really slowly. I don't bend over very often though.

So far, I'm really glad I did this. I'm going to have my life back and feel 100% better at the same time. I'm hoping and praying that my Lupus will actually calm down too. Hormones play such a big roll in that disease.

I get my pathology report back tomorrow. It'll be interesting to find out what was going on with that dang uterus!!

Thanks again and have a nice Sunday!
Willow
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Hey Willow,

We have the same date! And now that you mention it, I too am having a little more discomfort the last couple of days - right after I had my post op appt. I did have to work some this weekend and its hard to sit for longer than an hour at a time. I've had to push it there but I'm stopping that now.

My Dr upped the amount of weight I could lift to 20-25lbs and I have been carrying more things, but I'm sure I haven't exceeded that. Even still, I have felt a little more pulling and a little more stabbing than last week. Things do feel more "stable" in there tho and I can keep up a reasonable walking stride without feeling like everything is going to shake loose. The surgeon said its ok for me to walk up to 3.5 mph but I'm not going that fast yet.

My energy is up and down but it seems to be more predictable at least. If I feel OK I can do a good hour walk and be OK when I get home, a week ago I would be fine and then suddenly feel just "shot".

I'm glad other people report that the belly takes longer than this to go away - I feel bloopier now
It's been so easy to put on weight the last few years, I'm afraid I've gained a bunch from sitting around for 2 weeks, even though I was eating 1/2 what my caretakers were eating and they all lost weight during that week of healthy eating with me (and they didn't go 3 days without food like I did with the prep, surgery day and the day after)

At least I wont feel guilty resting a lot this week, since I'm sure I still need it.

Oh, and my doc did say that I would probably start to see some discharge from the vaginal stitches this week. Oh joy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register