Lifting restrictions - for how long post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lifting restrictions - for how long post op? Lifting restrictions - for how long post op?

Unread 11-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Lifting restrictions - for how long post op?

I know information regarding this is varied and each individual is different but as a general guide, when can the 10lbs limit be raised?

Is it after 6 weeks - and what about vacuuming? How long are we supposed to be careful?

I've had a slight blood loss so I'm not planning to overdo it but I do want to start getting back to normal...!!!!.

TAH 17/10/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM

my understanding is 6 weeks and my doc limits to 5lbs!
I think 6 weeks is considered the general time it takes for soft tissues to heal but I guess some doctors are less conservative (mine isn't one of them, lol )
I know how you feel. I'm only at day 12 and its hard to imagine another 30 days of this! I've never been this inactive in my life! But I'm going to do things exactly as I'm told because 30 days isn't much when I compare it to the 12 years that I had significant problems with prolapse and bladder urgency! I don't want anything to go wrong!!! I'll just keep the tiara on for a while longer :-)

All the best Louisa. You'll soon be back to normal...maybe even better! :-)
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:55 AM

My doc was really strict about lifting restrictions - nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for the full 6 weeks, then "as tolerated" after that.

My vacuum is "self-propelled" so pushing and pulling it hasn't been an issue, but I didn't try to push the lawnmower! And I still drive through the grocery pick up and let the grocery boy load them into my trunk! (Hey, why not? I like the princess life!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2008, 09:28 AM

Thanks for your responses - it just shows how varied our doctors advice can be!

I have certainly lifted far more than 5lbs - I've just come back from the supermarket and I was very frustrated that I couldn't buy everything I needed because it would be too heavy to carry back to my house.

I guess could do two trips...but I'm not sure if that's defeating the object?

Take care xx
Unread 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Even after restrictions were lifted I was told to take it easy.

As I added in each new activity I stopped if it hurt and tried it again a few days later.

I still don't like heavy shopping so I use smaller bags or make DH unload the car when I get back
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:15 PM

One thing to also think about.....shopping carts. DO NOT push those too early. They can weigh several hundred pounds themselves. Since they are wheels, you will not know how much weight you are actually pushing.
Unread 11-27-2008, 03:35 AM

Thanks Kathy - I have actually done that but there wasn't too much in it!!!

I thought I would know immediately if I was doing something wrong - but it isn't so easy is it?
Unread 11-27-2008, 09:51 AM

I work as an RN in a small hospital ICU. I am taking 7 weeks off. I plan to return to work after Jan 5 with no lifting restrictions, as long as my recovery is uneventful.
Unread 11-27-2008, 02:46 PM

i had 3 litre weight restrictions for 12 weeks hunny, its hard i tell you hahaha x
Unread 11-27-2008, 03:56 PM

Wow! I must be an oddball.....my limit is 5 pounds for a full 6 months! My Dr. also put limitations on pushing, pulling, reaching, stretching, climbing, and squatting for the same timeframe. I'll go back to work next week, sit at my desk, and look pretty.....not much else I can do!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register