Anyone using Detrol LA for bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone using Detrol LA for bladder Anyone using Detrol LA for bladder

Unread 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Anyone using Detrol LA for bladder

I am 14 days out from my LSH and have had constant bladder issues. Always feel like I need to go. My doctor said my bladder needed to calm down after surgery. I had a UTI before surgery and was treated before and after again for 7 days, even though my urine was negative after surgery. I went back to the doctor 2 days ago, as it was not getting any better. She consulted with a urologist he gave me Detrol LA to try if if did not get better. They said to go back to drinking when I am thirsty and not to keep pumping the fluids. Since then I can wait for 2 hours to go to the bathroom instead of 1, but still feel the need to go while waiting. Just wondering if anyone has tried Detrol LA. I am not a drug person, always worry abouth the side effects. I know that sometimes you can retain urine on these, and that is the last thing I would need. Looking for some advice.

Thanks,

Anne (LSH Nov. 11th)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM

It sounds like the one I took for bladder urgency a couple of years ago (pre hyster) I didn't get side effects with it except for a slightly dry mouth. It didn't work too well for me though but I think that's because the uterine prolapse was irritating my bladder. I'm 2 weeks post TVH and my bladder urgency issues appear to have gone. My surgeon however did say it might take a few weeks to settle so I'm feeling pretty lucky, so far.

There are other medications used to treat urgency, so if it doesn't settle then you might want to ask your doctor about alternatives. Chances are though that it all might settle down anyway. You are still in the early stages of recovery and healing. All the best and I hope you are soon feeling a lot better!
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:14 PM

Hey:
I developed bladder problems about 6 mos. after my hysterectomy. I had a stubborn UTI which sent my bladder into overdrive. My urologist prescribed Sanctura XR which is similar to the Detrol. It took about 2 weeks to kick in and since then have not had any more problems. I am currently still taking the Sanctura and the only side effect I have is the dry mouth. I see the urologist again in a couple of weeks. I am hoping I'll be able to wean myself off the medication. Hope this helped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2008, 03:36 AM

I was on detrol for about a month after my bladder was nicked while opening me up for a ruptured ectopic. The detrol was great getting the constant urge under control after being on a cath for over a week.
Unread 11-27-2008, 07:05 AM

Hi Anne
My urologist prescribed the Detrol for urgency too and I liked it. I had a very low dose and was able to use it for a time until my bladder calmed down enough to let me sleep and not be hindered by that awful feeling all the time. I didn't notice any side effects.

When my bladder started getting better I began to have the feeling that I was needing to work to empty my bladder. It was a clear sign that I didn't need it anymore. I wouldn't personally be afraid to take it if you have the urgency. It can help you be more comfortable and if you're able to empty your bladder on a regular basis you shouldn't run into retention problems.

Listen to your body and if you don't feel comfortable taking it you can always stop. The bladder is often upset for a while after a hyst. You're only two weeks out, hopefully this will all clear up for you soon.
Rita
Unread 11-27-2008, 01:46 PM

thanks for all the advice. How long did it take for the Detrol to start working for you?

Anne

LSH 11/11/08
Unread 11-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Anne,
One of the nice things about it was that it didn't take long at all to work for me. I'm not sure the specific amount of time, but I could take it before bed and not wake with that 'feeling'. I loved it for that.
Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register