Painted toenails for surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painted toenails for surgery? Painted toenails for surgery?

Unread 11-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Painted toenails for surgery?

Hey all,

My DaVinci Hyst is scheduled Dec 1 (Monday) and today I went and got a pedicure, got my legs, eyebrows and lip waxed, and got pretty little flowers painted on my toes.

Will I have to remove it during surgery? One of the ladies who was in the salon said I'd prolly have to have it removed. Did any of you get to keep toenail polish on ?

I guess I could try calling the hospital Friday, the doc is closed the rest of the week for the holiday and the hospital keeps telling me to check with the Dr. I still can't get a decent answer on exactly what to expect the morning of surgery. I guess I'll have to just wait and see.

Oh well.. the nail lady said shed do it again for free if they have to remove it for surgery.. but the point was I wanted pretty toes for recovery. I doubt I'll be up to heading to the nail salon early enough in recovery to matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

When I did my pre-op they said no nail polish of any kind, fingernails or toenails. I guess it just depends. you need to check with your doctor. Their orders were written and very specific. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM

The only restriction I had was no dark nail polish, fingers or toes. Otherwise I was okay. I even have acrylic nails and they were okay. Ultimately though, it's up to the docs. I'd wait until the last minute. If you show up for surgery and they don't want you to have it, they'll have remover - or you could bring a little with you just in case.

take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2008, 08:04 PM

i was told no polish on the toes, french (acylic was fine) on the fingers was fine.
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Clear polish was allowed...

as were my acrylic nails. The reason they give is that they need to see the color of the nail beds to tell if you are oxygenated enough. It seems that there is a lot of difference in what Drs. and hospitals allow. Hope you get the final word from your Dr. soon.
Unread 11-26-2008, 09:45 PM

Sometimes when the DR is checking your oxygen levels, capillary refill is checked looking at the finger and toe nails. This means the DR needs to be able to clearly see how quickly the blood flows back into your extremities. Therefore, no polish is usually allowed.
Unread 11-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Toenail polish

I have worked in the past in a pre and post op setting. While we used to ask patients to remove all nail polish prior to going for surgery, this changed after O2 saturation machines. These machines are placed on a finger or toe and measure oxygenation levels. Once they were used on a routine basis the standards were relaxed in our hospital and all that they asked was no dark nail polish such as purple, black or blue.
Agree that every facility has their own policies so if you are going for a preop or can call the preop area and ask, it would be helpful.
Hope you can keep it though.
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by websister
I have worked in the past in a pre and post op setting. While we used to ask patients to remove all nail polish prior to going for surgery, this changed after O2 saturation machines. These machines are placed on a finger or toe and measure oxygenation levels. Once they were used on a routine basis the standards were relaxed in our hospital and all that they asked was no dark nail polish such as purple, black or blue.
Agree that every facility has their own policies so if you are going for a preop or can call the preop area and ask, it would be helpful.
Hope you can keep it though.
Thank you for your correction, intended or not, as I have not worked in that venue for a while.
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:45 PM

I was told that no polish was old school as most hospitals not have the machines that hook up to your fingertips. I had polish on both my toes and my fingers during surgery!
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:05 PM

I was told no nail polish either, might as well be on the safe side and just remove it before you go in.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register