Getting nervous (child mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting nervous (child mentioned) Getting nervous (child mentioned)

Unread 11-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Getting nervous (child mentioned)

My surgery is Friday. I am getting nervous. I have had surgery over 10 times, so I know the routine, but I am still nervous. I know this is best for me, it gives me the best chance of not getting cancer down there and staying with my 2 year old. But I am still nervous.

My surgery is out of state, an hour or so away. And its not until 2:30 in the afternoon. We will leave my town at 10:30 to make the 12:30 arrival time.

I am told I will have to spend the night. I hope I can come home in the morning.

My son will be spending Friday night at my best friends and she will bring him home Saturday afternoon. And a good friend of mine is flying in Friday from Oregon to stay the week and help with my son.

I guess I am just nervous because of the unknown. I plan to work from home, from bed, the following week. And then back to the office.

I am just rambling now. I need to spend today getting my house organized. I was supposed to start that yesterday. Bleh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2008, 08:22 AM

I think that you sound pretty normal; a good many of us get nervous when facing this surgery. I think that it is a fear of the "unknown and the what if's ".
It sounds like you have it all planned out for your recovery. It's great that your friends will be there for you

My advice is to not try to rush your recovery. Even with just small incisions, you'll have lots of internal stitches and need to allow that to heal. Just follow your dr's orders and listen to your own body. If it hurts, ease back and rest

Best wishes.

Unread 11-30-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2008, 01:07 PM

I am the same way. My kids are 3 and 4.5. I know I need this, but having other people take care of my kids and me, I'm just not that kind of person. I'm trying to just accept it, but it's easier said than done!

Hopefully we'll both recover quickly w/no issues. My surgery is Thursday - one night for me, too. And my mother in law will be here for one week.

Good luck
Unread 11-30-2008, 02:13 PM

I am on the 5th as well-an hour away. Good luck to you and other posters this week. Best wishes and oh yeah, I expect more nerves. I am also trying to get this house in order-but last minute company with galloping kids and me in too much pain to do housework in the last week-oh and being here!!-has left my house in need of alot of housework. Keeping busy is better I think. I have made enough work to distract myself I see.
People keep trying to tell me I'll be up on my feet in no time-not that major as its done vaginally. If they are trying to make me feel better it is backfiring. I don't want it to be underestimated as many do need more time and have different issues, so they are not the ones that are up and at it. Who needs that pressure anyhow? But thats me venting. Oh that and people horrified I am getting it done with my serious and difficult to treat depression are very alarmed. I am trying to remain optomistic about that and allowing for alot of moods for a few months. Well at least i know they were listening to me prior....but now I need the courage to do this as my quality of life is so bad. So yeah, lots of thoughts. Don't feel frantic anymore though. I think i am getting that calm I get when something must happen and I have resolved to do it (after much emotional to-do). Game day I'll be scared but I can do it.
So can you!
I guess we'll have to compare notes afterwards. Great good luck to us all!
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Yeah, I'm nervous too.. mine is tomorrow (Dec 1) also about 2 hrs away. Its the unknown with me too.. I have not had surgery since 1982, and it was a rather traumatic surgery (Amputation on left arm due to cancer) so I'm suprised I'm as calm as I am.

I'm going to try to take pics and blog the entire experience. I guess acting as my own little "journalist" helps the stress. Of course I'm sure my entry will go "And then they said, "have a little something to relax" and then I'll wake up and it will be over. How boring!

I hope its that boring, anyway
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:30 PM

That's kind of a fun idea, msdna. It would help with the nerves - take pics w/the nurses, docs, etc. More interesting for them, too

I may try that... Plus it would be great for the future gals on here to know *exactly* what will happen!
Unread 11-30-2008, 11:23 PM

So, I was a bit nervous about my LAVH, LSO on December 15th, but now I'm really nervous.
This isn't my first ride on the GYNO surgery wheel but still....this is the big one....hopefully the last one.
Good luck ladies, I wish everyone a restful, pain free recovery.
Jodie
Unread 11-30-2008, 11:59 PM

Good luck ladies! It will all be over and done with before you even know it. I had my tah on 10/23. I was terrified. I too have a 4 year old and the what if's were killing me. I kept as busy as I could but I still had the occasional break down. Suprisingly enough the morning of my surgery I was very calm. I think the waiting is the worst part. Take care of yourselves. You need this time to recover. It's harder than you think. Not awful by any means but everything needs time to heal. I did too much too soon and was pretty sore for a few days. So no heavy lifting, and get plenty of rest. I feel great now. I go back to work next week (I'm ready I'm starting to go stir crazy). Hope all goes well for you too. I'll be thinking of all of you. Best of luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register