Radical TVH Possible Cancer Emotions!!! Previous TT to do again! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radical TVH Possible Cancer Emotions!!! Previous TT to do again! Radical TVH Possible Cancer Emotions!!! Previous TT to do again!

Unread 12-01-2008, 02:49 AM
Radical TVH Possible Cancer Emotions!!! Previous TT to do again!

Three years ago I had a full tummy tuck, hernia repair, lipo. I am a size 16 from a size 20 post surgical and while I still am not small by any means I am happy with my beautiful flat tummy...at least I was until the fibroids started I had a UAE, then endomietrial ablation and now have been told that I need a full hysterectomy the old fashioned way - no laproscopic or va jay jay options. My gyn just happened to be an oncologist/gyn by matter of chance and as much as we have been trying not to do this my uterus is now 16cm ( a 3 cm growth in six weeks and now the tubes are excreting fluid as well)! My TT experience was the worst case scenario, infections, complications and three straght months being bedridden, but three years on I hesitantly say that I am happy that I did it (it supports my bad back beautifully). But, the thought of going through it all again coupled with the is it or isn't it cancer question, I am just finding almost too much to bear. I am highly drug tolerant and am on Duragesic patches (3 day morphine) and even though I have varying dosages of they still don't take away the the pain even with a dilaudid chaser. I don't know how I am going to face the days/weeks/months ahead. The pain, the disability (my husband is not the best caregiver and we do not have family (we are caregivers for our parents) and then top it off with the possible Cancer question - I just feel like I want to run away and deal with none of it. Since they took out my endomietrial lining they cannot biopsy without fear of spreading the possible cancer cells and honestly at this point I feel that if it is cancer I would elect not to treat it and enjoy whatever time there is. My husband cannot bear to even talk about the possibility of that and to be quite honest I am just so mad!!! Not at him but the whole darn thing! I only have three days to prepare and there I will be again back in that darn bed again. Has anyone else had a TVH after a tummy tuck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM

I am not sure I understand what you are asking... It sounded like in the early part of your post that you could not have a vaginal hyst. Is that true?
Was he thinking about an abdominal surgery and you were hoping for vaginal?
We all hate to find ourselves here... I too went into denial mode for a bit.
But once you have a plan in place about what you will and will not do, it gets better... I understand your lack of willingness to have another surgery, but if it is indeed endometrial cancer, usually they find that at an early stage and you can live a very long life post surgery. Perhaps you could talk about your feelings to someone so that you would go into your surgery with a better attitude...
Best of luck to you and p.m. me if you want to talk or just vent.
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:30 PM

dear marcat...i'm sorry for what you are going thru, the pain must be unbearable. you will not be able to be a caregiver for many weeks (approx. 6-8 weeks recovery), so please try to accept that for now you must make yourself and your health a priority.

you are fortunate that you are already being cared for by a gyn/onc, so he/she will get things right, whereas some of us (myself included) had to endure 2 abdominal surgeries, just weeks apart because we had the original hysterectomy performed by a regular gyn who was not qualified to perform all the procedures needed when cancer is found. if you do have an abdominal hysterectomy, then the gyn/onc will be able to have a good look around at your other organs. i'm hoping that no cancer is found in your case and you will be soon on the road to recovery and feeling so much better.

please let us know how you make out and remember to get copies of your operative and pathology reports when they become available so you can read for yourself what was done and ask any questions. i hope you will arrange to have someone help you with the household chores when you get home as well as bringing you food and taking you to any appts. come here to vent any time. best wishes to you. take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2008, 01:02 AM

Marcat,

I'm not clear on why your doc says a Vaginal or laprascopic approach wouldn't be appropriate for you, but you have a right to a second opinion.

If you really don't want another abdominal surgery, please consult another gyn/oncologist who is experienced in laprascopic surgery and see if they can work with you.

Best of luck.
Unread 12-24-2008, 06:27 PM

I also had a full tummy tuck three years ago and was recently diagnosed with endometrial cancer. My gyn/onc attempted a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, but ran into complications and I ended up with TAH/BSO. But he used my tt scar, so only have a couple of new puncture wounds from the laparascopy. It is not so bad.
I understand completely your feelings about just not doing anything - but as someone else has told you, endometrial cancer (if that's what you have) is often completely curable if treated early. Do you have a friend, perhaps, who could help you a little at first? It is sometimes hard for our men to know the right thing to do for us - mine is great, but I find that I have to patiently explain many things to him. Good thoughts to you!
Unread 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM

I was diagnosed w/ endo cancer on 11/3. My original gyn said it could only be done TAH. I found a Dr. that could do a da Vinci. He said I was a candidate because I had a small uterus and no previous scars. He said (and you have to sign a waiver in case) some cases turn into TAH because a) they can't get through scar tissue from previous surgeries and b) they find that cancer has spread outside the uterus so they have to open up to get more aggressive with it. I had a CT scan that indicated that it hadn't spread so he was pretty sure I would end up w/ only the laproscopic surgery and that's what happened. My Dr. that did the surgery was a surgical gyn / onc. I hope this helps.

Also on the end front I totally understand your feelings because I had no previous symptoms and got thrown into all this in 4 weeks time. I wasn't menopausal at all and they took it all so now I'm menopausal with those health risks but in my sane moments I know the better thing is that I'm cancer free (they caught it that early). My friend's mom died of fallopian tube cancer so I know how bad that can be but it doesn't make it any easier when the blues fall over you and you're thinking "how did I get here?"

Hugs for you.
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:17 PM

Hi Marcat. Those first thoughts following the recommendation to have a hysterectomy are awful, aren't they? I thought I was going to the Dr. for a follow-up to a D and C, and was very surprised to hear that my pathology said complex hyperplasia with atypia (a pre-cancer), and that it was imperative that I have a TAH/BSO. I researched and found that there could well be cancer present. That was enough for me to consider the surgery absolutely necessary. As other ladies have said, early stage endometrial cancer has a very high non-recurrence rate, with surgery alone. Turns out, that is what my final pathology indicated. I am sixty years old, and overweight so I was a bit concerned about how difficult surgery might be, but I have to say that my apprehensions were far worse than the actual surgery and recovery. I'm now eight weeks post op, and I've no restrictions, and am feeling fine. Very glad the surgery is over and looking foward to years of good health. I'll need to be followed carefully for five years, with vaginal vault smears, CT scans and chest x-rays. That seems doable to me..... I hope that your surgery goes well and that you get good news about your pathology. I also hope that you get permanent pain relief and can breath a sigh of relief in a few days. Then you need to follow Dr's. orders about recovery. My very best wishes to you. Let us know how you are doing.

Barb A.
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:24 AM

Marcat:
just wondering how you are doing??? Haven't seen anything on the site.
Did you have your surgery on the 5th?
Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy holiday season.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register