BRCA1 gene mutation hyst recommended | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BRCA1 gene mutation  hyst recommended BRCA1 gene mutation hyst recommended

Unread 08-17-2001, 04:49 PM
BRCA1 gene mutation hyst recommended

I am new to the website and have recently been told I carry the BRCA1 gene. My mother died of ovarian cancer and our family carries the gene mutation.. I am going to meet with the surgeon on Sept. 11th. Anyone out there have the same situation? I really have no choice about surgery but am wondering about abdominal vs. vaginal. I am really scared about being on HRT after the surgery. I hated the BCP and am worried about side affects of HRT. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2001, 05:07 PM

Hello and welcome to hystersisters. I'm not familiar with the BRCA1 gene but will try to find someone that is.

I had tah/bso March 2000 - had estrogen patch put on the day after surgery and opted to take daily estrogen pill once I got home and haven't had any problems or side effects.

My gyn. wanted to do abdominal incision to get a good look around since I had a "suspicious" looking cyst on one of my ovaries. I had a bikini incision. Basically, recovery time for both (abdominal and/or vaginal) is 6 - 8 weeks due to the internal stitches.

Again, welcome aboard.
Unread 08-18-2001, 07:44 AM

Hi There

I would also like to welcome you to the site! I am sure you will find a great deal of support and information here which will aid you in your discussions with your surgeon.

I am very sorry for the loss of your mother, I too have lost my mom and my dad as well to cancer and its very hard I know.

BRCA1 has been discussed here on the boards in the past, and if I may suggest you do a search you will bring up those discussions.

To do the search just click on the little "search" button at the top of the page here, and on the left side you can type in keywords.
So if you type BRCA1 it will bring up a page with the threads where this has been discussed in the past.

Another great place I often search for information is www.google.com . Once in there if you type BRCA1 and HRT it will again bring up a great deal of information.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Don't hesitate to give a shout if you have trouble finding anything. We are here to help you as best we can!!!
Hugs,
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2001, 09:06 PM

Hi,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it can be to loose a parent to cancer, I also lost both my parents to cancer.

I was told the type of ovarian cancer I had was linked to the type of breast cancer I lost my mom to. Its great that you've had yourself tested, that's a wonderfully pro-active approach to take.

I had the abdominal approach for mine so the surgeon (my Gyn oncologist) could take a good look and be able to stage the cancer. I can tell you I really expected more pain and problems healing that I actually had. I took it very slow and easy and healed very nicely.

I can't help much with the HRT as I'm not able to take any until a couple more years down the road. You might want to check out the Hormone Jungle forum and see how the ladies there are adjusting to their HRT.

If you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to let us know, we'd be happy to help in any way we can. My best to you for your upcoming visit.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register