New here, 31 and may be facing Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, 31 and may be facing Hysterectomy New here, 31 and may be facing Hysterectomy

Unread 12-08-2008, 11:09 PM
New here, 31 and may be facing Hysterectomy

Note: The following may contain some sensitive material.

I just turned 31 and I think I'm going to ask my doctor about a hysterectomy, but wanted to get opinions from some other people.

My uterus has not been kind to me! I've had cysts since I was a teenager, but they were far between and never caused much of a problem other than cramping. Then, I became pregnant with my first baby 5 years ago. She died while she was still in my womb, and was stillborn. She was a vaginal delivery. My cervix was forced open with Cytotec and I was in hard labor for 28 hours. I bled a lot after delivery, so much that I couldn't stand up. I don't think I got great care with that delivery, as the Cytotec really did a number on me and I blame it for the problems that would come in subsequent pregnancies. I became pregnant again a few months later with twins. Halfway through the pregnancy, I went into preterm labor and got a new OB. I was diagnosed with an Irritable Uterus, and had a long fight to keep my boys in until they were ready to be born who were a little early, but perfectly healthy via c-section. Then, I became pregnant again and had a few more issues due to the Irritable Uterus. She was a full term pregnancy, born via c-section. That was three pregnancies and four babies born within a 2 year period.

Since my other daughter was born 3 years ago, I started having a lot of issues with my periods. They started becoming very heavy (needing two pads and a tampon and still leaking) and long. I started seeing my OBGYN about it. We have tried both birth control pills and the depo shot. Both of them made me very irritable, and we have decided that neither are now an option. In the past year, my periods have taken an even more drastic turn. Sometimes I can go a couple months without one, and sometimes they will last a whole month.

My doctor said that a thermal ablation is not an option, because both of my c-sections had vertical incisions which made it a risk for uterine rupture. She said that I was a candidate for a Cryoablation, but my insurance didn't cover it. At that point, I agreed to wait it out and see if the periods would get better after stopping the depo.

Now, I'm due to see her again right after Christmas for my yearly exam. I think I'm going to ask her about a hysterectomy. I had my tubes tied after my last baby was born. I don't think my body or my heart could handle another pregnancy, anyway. I'm just tired of all the bleeding and I'm ready for it to stop!

I've kept a list of my periods from the last year:

January 5 - Depo Shot
Feb 17 - March 12
March 31 - April 28
May 13-14 Spotting
June 18-19 Spotting
August 3-4 Light/Medium
September 10-21 (Depo shot on 9/18)
November 9 - Present

Those dates are how long the bleeding actually lasted.

Does anyone have any opinions, or any advice about approaching this with my OBGYN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2008, 09:16 AM

Has anyone suggested the Mirena IUD? This contains progesterone and should lighten or even stop your periods, in theory without as many side effects as taking hormone pills or injections as it works directly on the uterus. Personally I found that it didn't work but it has helped a lot of ladies.

Other than that my only suggestion is to explain to your OBGYN how this is affecting you and see what she is open to, or possibly to find another doctor if you are not satisfied with her answers. Good luck.
Unread 12-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Dear Koontzfan:

I hope you will seek out another opinion if your doctor doesn't provide good answers for you. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register