I am a Special Ed. teacher bored out of my mind | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a Special Ed. teacher bored out of my mind I am a Special Ed. teacher bored out of my mind

Unread 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I am a Special Ed. teacher bored out of my mind

I am a teacher. I start working at 7 every morning and find that 4pm comes so quickly. Since my LAVH 5 days ago I find that I have enough energy to be awake but thats about all I can do. Everyone I know is at work. I am not much of a tv or movie watcher. I have books, crosswords, suduko, movies...but am craving my daily overdose of people exposure. Is there a way to have live chat on here? I don't know anyone else who is home unable to do anything but lay on the couch....Is there anyone out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Hi there! I am in the same boat with you! I am a school counsellor, and am finding myself in desperate need to see my 'kids' and have some human contact. I had my TVH two day before you, and am actually going into work for 2 hours this Friday because I have a student in crisis and she won't talk to anyone else but me. I know it is probably not the best thing for me to do, but I cannot let her down. Thankfully I am feeling well enough that I can do it! Yesterday, I actually talked to a student on the phone because he had a meltdown and the staff could not get him calmed down! Obviously I love my job...I just wish I could do it from my office chair instead of my bed! I also find myself looking at the clock and thinking of what I would be doing at school at that particular time. Pathetic I know! LOL

So, talk away...I couch bound too!
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi! Thanks for your reply! I miss work. My good friend and substitute calls me everyday at 2 with a daily update. I am thankful for that.

I teach in Oregon where are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2008, 04:12 PM

I am in Southwestern Ontario (Canada, not Cali )

We have an online portal for our school board so I can go on there all the time and check on things...emails, the 'bad kid' list, events, etc. It makes me feel like I have not given up that connection. I did not realize how much of 'me' is defined by what I do until I had to walk away. The end of the school year is different because it is a natural conclusion, this however is not and I am really surprised how it is affecting me!

You teach spec. ed.? What grades do you have? What learning challenges do you have in your class? We have one spec. ed. class for our school and it is for the senior grades, 6, 7 and 8.
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM

I teach elementary k-5. I talked to my sub today and she said one of my more volitile 4th graders threw a book at her today. I know he is doing that to test her. I wish I could go to work.

You are right about work defining you. It is one thing for the school year to end. This is different cause everything is still going on without you.

I have 32 students on my case load my students range inlcudin students with Autism, Downs Syndrome, Dyslexia, Learning disabled, and MR. We don't have a SPED room so to speak. all students (even my one downs sydrome student) are mainstreamed. I have several with a one on one in their class depending on their range of needs.

I miss them all
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

LOL oh my, the flying book has me laughing so hard I am crying!! I LOVE when kids, who out of frustration and lack of better tools, throw things!! That's how I know they FEEL! I think I have probably pretty much one of everything thrown at me from books, desks and the closest available student! How could you NOT love this kind of work?!?

We have a couple of autistic students this year that are incredibly low functioning, they have been mainstreamed and I am frustrated by it. I feel like we are 'warehousing' one of them because there are no other options available. Of course the maternal unit is low functioning and thinks he is going to wake up one day and be 'normal'. UGH...on a daily basis I am left shaking my head and I get so frustrated with what these kids have to deal with at home. And I hate this time of year, and the beginning of June because I am swamped. I have a line up to get in my door because these kids are SO upset at the thought of not being able to come to school and get away from their daily realities. Sad, sad stuff.

The one on ones here are called EA's (Educational Assistants) and dependent on the student's need, they are assigned accordingly. Of course, schools never have enough of them!
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM

Well, I am not a teacher but I know how much you do and much you love your jobs. I am school secretary at an Elementary School and miss my job as well, even though I am doing a lot of it from home because I am the only one allowed into my books. I have a few kids (usually the bad ones - but I love them) who want to see me. I have one KG student who has to give me a hug everyday. They say he hasn't been behaving very well since I have been gone. Was up there today and he just hugged the stuffing out of me. It does make me miss them and my friends at school. His teacher called and said he had a much better day and couldn't I just come in every morning and give him his hug! I thought that was sweet.

Our counselor and spec. ed. teachers are very special people, as I am certain all of you are. You are definitely overworked and underpaid.

I work at an inner-city school. Very sad situation among some of the children and you just want to take them all home with you!!

You all are a blessing and I know your students are blessed by your teaching.

Good luck with the bored part. I had a LAVH on 11/18/08 and could've done everything the day after I got home from the hospital....so I though! LOL My body tells me when I do too much. I have days I feel fatigued and I haven't done a thing at all. I did a lot of reading the first two weeks, now that I can drive, I have been doing tons of shopping. Be careful though, that kicks your tail too!

Best wishes in your recoveries and with your students!!!
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM

So I see that you still have your ovaries. Does that mean you dont have to have a hormone supplement? Are you having any menopause type symptoms? I have warm flashes and headaches but overall am doing okay with the patch. Do you have a family? I live with my boyfriend who has been remarkably supportive which is a switch for me. I have been dealing with endometriosis for 11 years and havent had the most supportive men alongside me.
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:57 PM

School secs. are priceless! talk about wearing a hundred hats!!! That is really cool that you could visit your school and visit your student.

I work a half hour away which I think in my case is probably a good thing. Im not sure I could resist the temptation to be there if I were close by!! Just as soon as my two weeks is up though everyone will be on break.

My boyfriend is going to take me to our staff christmas party tomorrow. I would be sad to miss it. He says it is a bad idea but I figure sitting on my couch or on the couch at the party...a couch is a couch right?
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks faith! Your words are very kind, and often not heard for teaching staff and counsellors. And I totally agree...I want to bring each and every one of them home with me. I have called Children's Aid (CPS equivalent) so many times that I have them on speed-dial now to save time. Their lack of care and concern is going to drive me insane. I guess that is why I love what I do...because I can offer my kids stability and a safe, caring environment even if it is only for a few hours a day.

Violin...yep, still have my ovaries. One of them misfires every now and again but I didn't want to give them up if I didn't have to. I do not have a hormone supplement. No menopause symptoms since surgery, but my bloodwork has indicated that for the last four years I have been perimenopausal. I have suffered the hot flashes and bad moods since I was 36 and am anxious to see how my first cycle goes without my uterus. I had very obvious signs that my period was approaching, so I should be able to tell still. I guess I will just have to wait and see!
I have two kids, one lives with his dad and the other with me. And I am single, so this is a difficult recovery in that I do not have another adult to lean on. But my boy and are are doing just fine! After reading some of the posts about the hubbys who are non supportive I am glad I am single!! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register