question! Pushing shopping carts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question! Pushing shopping carts? question! Pushing shopping carts?

Unread 12-11-2008, 07:52 AM
question! Pushing shopping carts?

I will be 6 weeks post op on Monday-is it safe for me to push a shopping cart now? I don't plan on getting alot, but wondered if it was okay to do that or should I just use one of the electric carts?? I want to be a good girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Hi kristyc71
It is probably safe for you to push a cart now. Have you been cleared by your dr? I would caution you to just go slowly. I found that reaching to take things off the shelves, then putting them in and out of the cart was amazingly painful for me. I got help with shopping trips for quite a while. I got to where I could buy them ok, but as soon as I got home I had help carrying them in. I buy a lot of groceries so it might be a different story for others.

Your main concern is to avoid tears in the tissue that could cause scar tissue and adhesions. Your incisions should all be healed by now if your dr has given you the ok. I think shopping is something that is individual for all of us, but you'll be wise to start slowly and see how you feel when the trip is all over and everything is put away. Just pace yourself and see how it goes, it will probably be fine.
Rita
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM

this is my 4 weeks post op and I've gone grocery shopping several times, I have even done it w/ my two little ones, the littlest is 2 1/2 yrs old and I've been lifting him and the dr knows it. I would say that it does catch up with you. I was out all day yesterday to the musuem w/ my kids then grocery shopping w/ them and by 4 pm I was asleep and slept til this morning....so it's a give and take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2008, 10:50 AM

At six weeks you should be fine. I was pushing a shopping cart a week later- which wasn't smart. Just take it easy and listen to your body. If you start to get tired, take a cue and rest. You've gotten through the worst part so enjoy getting back into your life again- just do it slowly.
Unread 12-11-2008, 11:07 AM

you should be fine. i didnt have any shopping cart restrictions at all and felt fine shopping.
Unread 12-11-2008, 02:55 PM

I just had my 6 week appointment this morning and asked if there are any further restrictions. My Dr said to simply listen to your body. He also said to ease into lifting things. I notice that I feel a slight pull when I reach up too high for things, but then again I have a very large vertical incision.

Simply listen to your body.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register