Can colon problems mimic/mask gyn problems? Possible Crohn's disease? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can colon problems mimic/mask gyn problems?  Possible Crohn's disease? Can colon problems mimic/mask gyn problems? Possible Crohn's disease?

Unread 12-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Can colon problems mimic/mask gyn problems? Possible Crohn's disease?

I just had the sudden onset of rectal bleeding today and I am scared. I went to see colon doctor and he scheduled me for a colonoscopy on Monday. I am scheduled for a LVH on next Friday and now i don't know what to do . . . should i cancel or what?

I have a distant cousin who had colon cancer and my sister had Crohn's disease at an early age, and she is in the clear now. My symptoms before this episode are chronic constipation, hard pebbly stools, lots of gas and bloating, and right sided abdomina pain. Doc says where i am complaining of pain is a common site where Crohn's disease is found. I am also anemic and on iron pills.

Can colon problems mimic gyn problems? now i am second-guessing whether what i thought were symptoms related to my small fibroids and retroverted uterus are really something else. i thought the right-sided pain was due to my right ovary, but now i am second-guessing that too in light of my visit today. how can i be certain about gyn issue, even after my colonoscopy on Monday?

Anyone with a history of Crohn's disease, diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis, etc. please help! I am a mess right now and do not know what to do. i was scheduled to see gyn tomorrow to discuss final plans for upcoming surgery, but now i don't know what to follow through with. colon doctor said i definitely need to have this checked first before a hysterectomy.

any feedback from anyone would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM

bj9473 - You may have related but different issues. Digestive and gyno are "familial" areas so in my families case because we have a history of digestive issues (including cancers) this can lead to an increased risk of gyno issues (including cancers). I was diagnosed on 11/3/08 w/ early stage endometrial cancer as I was going through all my 2nd opinions and pre-op testing I thought to ask my surgeon "you know my mom had both endometrial and colon cancer last year that caused them to do a TAH and a bowel resection at the same time...there is colon cancer in the family should I get a colonoscopy now?" He said unequivocally "YES and if the gastro guy can't get you in before your current scheduled surgery I will delay your surgery so we can make sure the colon area is all clear." When I went to my gastro guy he said "Oh yeah we'll get this done now so we don't have to delay your surgery. If we find polyps (as they had in my previous colonoscoppy) we'll put you on the list for every 2 year colonoscopies because these are familial cancers." I had my colonoscopy the Thursday before my hysterectomy. I went in know that the only thing I was dealing w/ was the gyn cancer because my colonoscopy came back clean. Tell both of your doctors what's going on and have them share results. If you end up w/ colon issues the gyn doctor may change his / her procedures.

You are absolutely doing the right thing!!!!!!!!!!

Sending hugs and prayers your way.
Unread 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM

I had all kinds of GI problems, IBS ect. When they did my hyster, they found that endometriosis was surrounding my colon and had attached and bound it's way in my bowel, rectum, and intestines. So, my opinion, is that yes they can mimic; but you should always get both checked. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2008, 10:44 AM

I had many GI problems prior to my ovarian cancer diagnosis. What was found was a mass that wrapped around the rectum.
My symptoms were bloating, gas, constipation and diarrea intermixed...I was schedled for a colonoscopy after my CT when they presumed they wouldn't find anything (but they did so I never had to have the colonoscopy). At the time they thought it was just endometriosis. When I went in for the hyster because of the "endo"...they found it was ovarian cancer instead.
So I guess to answer your question, I would say yes, sometimes the symptoms are all very much similar....
Hope this helps.
Unread 12-15-2008, 12:11 PM

I also had gastro problems with my endo and fibroids. It's good that you will see your Gyn tomorrow for a very important second opinion.
Unread 12-15-2008, 07:01 PM

i had colonoscopy and aside from internal hemorrhoids was clean! that did not help to explain my rightsided pain in my lower abdomen. previous ulrasounds show it to be normal besides foillicles
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:54 AM

My DH has diverticulitis and the way we found out was that he had rectal bleeding. His bleeding came on suddenly, too. Diverticulitis can cause abdominal pain. I am not sure about the stools, gas and bloating, though, as I think DH has IBS because his stools are always loose. After his one episode, he has had little trouble with it. He does watch his diet very carefully, though.

I don't know how long you are on iron pills, but when I took iron pills, they made me very constipated.

IMHO, you should have the colon issue checked out first, and I wish you the best with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register