How can you tell if its a blood clot? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How can you tell if its a blood clot? How can you tell if its a blood clot?

Unread 08-18-2001, 12:34 AM
How can you tell if its a blood clot?

I have a few sore sore sore spots on my calfs. One looks like it is by a vein. If i toch it it is the worst pain. I have been walking around but have had this pain for a week. I am a few days post opp. How can you tell if its just sore muscle from being in bed OR if its a clot.... Thanks Sunny (yes, I am posting again! sorry)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2001, 12:46 AM
Hi Sunny

What are you still doing up? Are you suffering from insomnia? Do not be sorry for having questions, that's why we are here. Personally, I have not had any blood clots. Maybe someone else will come along who can answer your question, or you could do a "search" and enter the word "blood clots".

Waiting to hear how it all turns out.
Unread 08-18-2001, 02:22 AM

Bless your heart, Sunny! You've not had a very "healing" experience, with your treatment at the hospital, etc., have you?

When I was thinking about your other post about being discharged so early (plus the rude treatment while in the hospital), I thought--well, that was what WAS, you've just gotta go on. BUT. Perhaps you weren't checked out very thoroughly before you were released and I know there is a lot of attention paid to a person's legs during and after surgery because of the possibility of blood clots.

The pain just doesn't sound like it should be there, does it? I really, really hope you'll call your doctor just as soon as you can. If you do have a blood clot, you just don't want to mess around with that!!! You might even want to consider calling an urgent care facility if you have one nearby or your emergency room. I know you don't want to be going anywhere being so recently post-op, but perhaps you could get some good medical advice until you could get in touch with your doctor.

Am thinking that the advice you'd gotten on your other post about filing a grievance and all that probably is very good. Maybe you wouldn't be concerned with your leg right now, if you'd received better care in the hospital!

Take it easy and let us know how you get along!!! Please take care--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2001, 06:26 AM

Sunny, I had a blood clot after my surgery. If you suspect that it may be a clot, don't hesitate....go to the emergency room right away. I had what the doctor called a deep vein thrombosis, but it's possible to get a blood clot in a vein closer to the surface of your leg. This is important...DO NOT RUB THE LEG. If it is a clot, you don't want a piece to break off and travel.

My symptoms were:

Pain in the leg (in my case, the thigh), and the pain kept getting worse.

I had a low grade temperature (100.5)

Only after I got to the hospital were the following symptoms present: redness, swelling, skin on my leg was warm to the touch.

All of these signs do not need to be present. It's important to find out ASAP if this is a clot so that it can be treated.

Let us know...and I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 08-18-2001, 06:58 AM
I Agree

Sunny,

Call your Dr. immediately, or go to the emergency room. After my surgery (8/10/01), they were constantly working with my legs to make sure I had no clots, etc.

Keep us up to date with whatever you find out. I'll be saying a prayer for ya! Things will turn around for the better soon!!!
Unread 08-18-2001, 09:09 AM

Hey Sunny,I agree get your butt to the er.You dont want to mess with those and to me and of corse im not a Dr. its sounds just like a bloodclot .And make sure you post and let us know what happened cuz im gonna worry about you untill i hear from you!! cj/Patty
Unread 08-18-2001, 09:24 AM
Bloodclot

Hi just read your post. I too thought i had a clot after my surgery
please listen to these ladies advise, I did. I had to go to the E.R. (11 days post-op)
for a suspected bloodclot which it turned out it wasn't. Just wanted to let you know they will do an ultra sound on your leg
to check the veins for clots it (does not hurt any) and check your reflexes too. I didn't even have to have an I.V ,I did not want to go as I was sick of hospitals and
doctors but it had to be checked out. Please call the E.R. and ask
to talk to a nurse, better to be safe. Hope you will be feeling better soon. Go to search at top of page right side and type in Leg Pain. Take Care.
SAH/BSO 6/18/01
Unread 08-18-2001, 05:50 PM
I just got home from the ER

Thanks to all of you that gave advice. The pain was just getting to bad I called the DR and he said get right up t the ER. They did tests ultrasounds and ANOTHER IV :O( ... good news NO clot. The bad news is my fibromyalga is flarring up due to the surgery. I hurt all over. I am having the hardest time getting the pain under control. They gave my 3 shots of Dilaudid in the er and that really took the edge off for a bit. Now I am home and took another dose of pain med. I can not believe how bad I still hurt. Its been 3 days. Thanks again, Sunny
Unread 08-18-2001, 06:08 PM
leg pain

So glad you went to the E.R. and no blood clot. I know it had to be a relief for you. I don't know anything about fibromyalga
and hope I never get it either. Wishing you pain free days
and take care.
Unread 08-18-2001, 06:08 PM

Sunny,
So sorry to hear your in all that pain. You were very smart to have it checked out. I thought I had a clot too, 1 week post op, and turned out it wasnt...but DD said you never know, and was better safe than sorry. You'll be in my prayers for that pain, and hope you have a better recovery once this pain is under control. ((((((Sunny)))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register