Hot , cold, hot , cold. and this incision pain.. UGh | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot , cold, hot  , cold.  and this incision pain.. UGh Hot , cold, hot , cold. and this incision pain.. UGh

Unread 12-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Hot , cold, hot , cold. and this incision pain.. UGh

I wll be 6 weeks post op from initial surgery tomorrow and 10 days post op for the surgery to drain my hematoma. I get hot ,cold all day long. Im constantly turning on the fan to cool off and turning off because im freezing. It is driving me and everyone else insane. If that is not bad enough my incison is still huting. Im 6 weeks post op from my hysterectomy but only 10 days post op from my hematoma drain surgery. And where they put the drain is still seeping. We are leaving on Friday for Texas and that is a 24hour drive. We are breaking it up 8 hours the first day resting 2 days at my Moms before heading to Dallas to my inlaws but still that leaves a 16 hour drive .. How am I going to deal with that. WE have to go. Fil is very ill and this might be he last time we can go see him before the inevatable I can not take that away from DH and my kids. I have some pain pills socked away for the trip but still this is going to be a long trip. I go see the doctor right before I leave and she knows about the trip she said I should be fine as long as I take a lot of stops but im just not looking forward to this long ride and being pain.. Wish me luck please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2008, 01:05 PM

My only thoughts are to make sure you get out & walk as much as you can. It don't like to stop much when traveling but it really will help you feel better in the long run. Walmart has electric blankets that plug into the lighter in the car. That might help you with the hot & cold. I am doing the same thing as you, under the electric blanket freezing & then I am hot & open the door. It's 39 degrees out. Giggle. The pain pills maybe can at least take the end off of the pain. Best of luck with your trip.
Unread 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM

Hi Cathie

My heart sank when I saw your post, and went even further down once I read it - think it is in my boots now :-(

I am so sorry that you are still having issues with the incision and now the joys of hot flashes.

I understand that you have to make the trip and my heart goes out to you and your family. I lost my Mum 2 years ago and know how difficult it is to lose a parent.

I did an 8 hour trip at 6 weeks post op. All I can tell you is to wear layers so that you can take them on and off as you need to - I have learnt to let someone else set the temperature in the car or room & I just deal with it! Take breaks at least every three hours so that you can walk about a little. I also took ibuprofen for the days we were traveling just incase, not sure I needed them but better safe than sorry.

I will be thinking of you while you are away.

Hugs

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM

I traveled for thanksgiving, a total of 22hours at 6 weeks post op and the electric blanket was not only helpful to me but to my children too so when I needed to turn the air on to cool off I gave them the blanket. The trip was long, but I am glad I did it. We drove about 8 hours a day and when I needed to stop and walk, we did. Good luck and take it easy. Merry Christmas.
Unread 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM

I was so glad to have the electric blanket. I was so glad someone had told me to have one ready. Glad your kids found it helpful too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register