New study shows Breast cancer, use of hormones tied | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New study shows Breast cancer, use of hormones tied New study shows Breast cancer, use of hormones tied

Unread 12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
New study shows Breast cancer, use of hormones tied

Hello all,
I live in Phoenix and yesterday, in the sunday newspaper (The Arizona Republic) ther was an article that really scared me! The results of a study done by "The Women's Health Initiative" were published.

Here is a quote...
"Taking menopause hormones for five years doubles the risk for breast cancer according to a new analysis of a big federal study that reveals the most dramatic evidence yet of the dangers of these still popular pills."

I had a hyster 4 months ago due to cervical cancer - my doctor encouraged me to have my ovaries removed also due to my age, 44. She said it is really no problem as I would start HRT right away, which I did........Now I am wondering if I made a big mistake.

Any else read the article? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM

I saw the article in my newspaper as well. The article and study applies to women who take estrogen and progestin pill, and have a uterus. Progestin's (not progesterone) have been linked to cancer and other issues.

They will be studying women who take estrogen only and had hysterectomy.

s
Unread 12-15-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info. Try not to decide if you should have regrets Spicy. You made the best decision you could based on the info that you were given at the time. The silver lining with this news story is that once off the hormones, the risk reduces as well. Hopefully this brings us one step closer to getting HRT safer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

I saw this!! I am so confused.. I mean WHY is it so bad if our body was naturally producing it anyways?? Now I am reconsidering the HRT as well. I was supposed to start on it next month.
Unread 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM

I'm in agreement with (((SuzyQ))) Before you decide to discontinue, you should talk to your Dr first.

I also saw this article, and the HRT they tested was Prempro. It is estrogen with a synthetic progestin. It is this combination that has the high risk. Specifically, it is the use of progestins which are linked to an increase in breast cancer. Most of us who are surgically menopausal are using progesterone, which is not any thing like progestin. The use of estrogen alone, or estrogen with progesterone, or progesterone alone has not been linked to an increase in any kind of cancer that I am aware of.

I wish the people who report on these studies would be more specific in what they are reporting.

s,
Kay
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I also saw this article, and the HRT they tested was Prempro.
Wasn't Prempro the center of controversy a few years ago after a similar study???

I can't remember clearly because it didn't apply to me then so I didn't give it too much attention.

I know my GYN and I had a brief discussion (we had to hurry, my hyster was an emergency because of acute massive bleeding) before I went into the OR about whether I should keep my ovaries or not and we both agreed that keeping them is always better than taking them because HRT isn't as safe an option as natural menopause.

I continue to be amazed and confounded by the number of posts I see where the GYN had recommended taking the healthy ovaries for no other reason than "because of my age" or when ovarian cancer is low risk and I am amazed that women don't seek second or third opinions before they have them removed (i.e. hystersister poll, "Did you get a second opinion?") It is known and proven that the ovaries are vital to women's health even after menopause and that HRT is not problem-free. It is merely a substitute for the real thing, but often it comes with a new set of side effects that weren't intended or expected, and many of those side effects aren't discovered until long term exposure to these "synthetics" and "naturals" causes problems. It doesn't take a genius to see how many threads and posts here confirm that HRT can be a major problem for women.

I agree with you, Kay, that reporters often focus on the information THEY want to propogate, which may be half-truths, incomplete data, or biased opinions. I don't want to offend anyone, but women should be better informed about their decisions, or like me, weigh in on the side of caution concerning a treatment that continues to be plagued by as much controversy as HRT seems to be. I would rather face a low risk for ovarian cancer and keep my ovaries than face a lifetime of "unknown" medical ailments that are or will be attributed to HRT in the future.
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
HRT and breast-ovarian cancer link

Hi everybody-I'm new here, but I did want to comment and maybe ask for a little advice. I saw the same article regarding the increased risks for CA and sent an email asking specific questions regarding alternatives for HRT. One being (sottopelle) pellets, which I am scheduled to get this weekend for menopausal symptoms. I have yet to hear from them. I've seen some past threads where some have tried these and was wondering if they are still having them inserted...any help would be greatly appreciated. Another note, I'm hoping to hear from the Institute indicating a positive review for pellets, so that I could present it to my insurance company in hopes for pmt..
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Smile - New study shows Breast cancer, use of hormones tied New study shows Breast cancer, use of hormones tied

hi,
i read according to dr. vliet's book that hormone replacement is an issue in regards to ca more when you use synthetic hormones rather than bioidentical ones.
i use bhrt and if i didn't take those i would def. have to be on an anti dep. and anti anx. and bone medicine like boniva.
there is alot of bad things a woman can put up with like painful sex, problems with incontinence, bladder issues, possible depressed moods, anxiety, heart problems and osteoporosis --if you don't replace the estrogen .( i tend to follow alot of dr. vliet's philosophy on this)
i prefer the bioidenticals. its a personal choice and i have read where some women who have had breast ca still take a low dose estrogen. quality of life decision there.
iread on a website that a dr. said about taking estrogen: its not fair to ask a woman to live the last 1/2 of her life without the necessary hormone replacement when men don't go through this to such a degree and yet women are still working, taking care of kids, grandklids, elderly parents etc whilst living without 1/2 their hormones. it isn't right. you also must keep in mind not everything you read is true,
may be biased researchers, are the studies accurate and done using the scientfic method, and the biggie-- did they perform the study on bioidentical estrogen and nat. prog or did they do it on something like premarin? just adding my 2 cents based on the research inquiry /i've done.
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks Ann, that is very helpful. There aren't many docs around that do this and since it's not covered by insurance, I don't many people who have it done. I just found this doc in Columbia, SC that does it, so I am very anxious to get it done and not a moment too soon. Thanks again!
Beverly
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Prempro?

Is that also premerin? (sp)? My mom was on that for about 6yyears after her hyster and last year at her mamo she was diagnosised with LCID breast cancer and had to have the lump removed. The breast cancer doc told her to stop taking premerin that it was linked to breast cancer. Scary isnt it. Just when you think you are getting healthy and getting rid of one prob another pops up.
Cori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register