Saliva Testing vs Blood Testing? Need accurate results! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Saliva Testing vs Blood Testing? Need accurate results! Saliva Testing vs Blood Testing? Need accurate results!

Unread 12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Saliva Testing vs Blood Testing? Need accurate results!

From what I've read here, seems no one has said they prefer saliva testing over blood testing. I know most insurances will NOT cover saliva testing, but it seems to be the new "hip" way to test hormone levels. My dr is insisting on the saliva testing and says it's way more accurate, as does Dr. John Lee in his books on menopause.

Which type of testing is more accurate? Which type have you found to reflect better how you actually feel, with your current symptoms? Would appreciate your input prior to my "discussion" with my dr/nurse.

Thanks again ladies for your incredible support network and words of encouragement. Had no idea I'd be this deep in the jungle so soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM

Calypso,
Saliva testing is not new, it was around after I had my hyst 9-1/2 years ago. I did do saliva testing, but it was a waste of time and money. I did it on my own because I thought it was going to give me the answers. It didn't and I ended up wasting my money. But it was a lesson learned.

My current doctor only does saliva for the adrenals. All other testing is done via blood work. Saliva testing is not more accurate.

You really do need to be patient. You are not far along post op from having your ovaries removed. For those of us here in the hormonal balance did not happen overnight. It took time and patience.

Unread 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM

The doctor I saw about hormone testing said I needed the saliva test but I felt it was all about the money. He was in my network and his wife was his assistant didn't even want to take insurance even though they signed a legal contract with my network. And everyone in my area that has seen him feels the same way. He had some scheme going with the local pharmacist. My GYN doctor and family doctor checked my blood work and said they felt the results were accurate and I believe them. I guess it depends on out much you trust you doctor.
Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2008, 05:40 PM

I heard back from the dr office today after I requested the testing be done via blood. Apparently the dr flipped when she heard I wanted to do bloodwork instead of saliva tests. She said she'd approve the bloodwork if I sent it to some far off lab (out of state and out of network - Genova???) that does much more detailed testing, like testing for the individual parts of estrogen, etc.. For just the estrogen testing alone, it's over $500. I am needing to test for est/prog/test and adrenal function. Without the testing and documentation of current hormone levels, the dr will not adjust anything. I'm low in estrogen - night sweats, memory lapse/loss, UTI, etc.

The nurse claimed that when they originally started doing saliva testing, they sent off bloodwork to compare. The results were hugely different. And when they based dosages on bloodwork alone, they discovered they were overmedicating (based on patient's symptoms). I don't know if I believe that or not but the nurse claims they had women on high doses of Premarin and their bloodwork showed non-existent estrogen levels.

I don't know whether to believe them or not. I guess since they want to do the testing soon, I will go ahead with the saliva test this time, but will research more about this out of state lab that does the specialty bloodwork.

I know it seems I'm being impatient. I'm sorry. I'm not usually one that jumps to conclusions or demands instant answers. I am just quite frustrated right now with the current symptoms and look forward to feeling back to normal (or close to it). My family wants to give me extra estrogen for Xmas!
Unread 12-19-2008, 05:56 PM

My complete Women's Hormonal Assessment is about $250. Some of which is covered by insurance. My doctor has used Genova in the past, and it was nowhere near $500.
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:02 PM

that sounds really strange. I've done both and the saliva was way off. I don't know what they are talking about about sending it off to some far away lab because it's a "specialty"? That doesn't make sense at all. All of mine were broken down and it was done locally.
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM

Kim, I wonder if my dr just does NOT want to go outside of saliva testing and they gave me the wrong price on purpose. They quoted over $500 for just the estrogen part.

Did you have to pay up front for your Genova testing? Or did it go through medical insurance? In-network/out-of-network?

Also, did you find that the results from Genova were reliable, or in synch with how you felt? Did it take 3-4 weeks for results like saliva testing does?

In your opinion, while still balancing hormones, how often or how far apart should testing take place?

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register