Helping friend set up a computer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Helping friend set up a computer Helping friend set up a computer

Unread 12-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Helping friend set up a computer

A friend of mine got a computer from her husband's employer and wants me to help her set it up. Are all computers similar in that the mouse, keyboard, etc. wires are color coded? I haven't seen the computer yet, but will probably go over there after Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2008, 04:48 AM

Lynn,

Yes, the wires are color coded with the slot they are to be hooked up to. When you boot up for the first time there will be some initial questions asked by the OS - they are fairly straight forward like names, do you want a pw, etc... (all can be changed/updated afterwards as well). Most systems are more inuitive now such that adding a mouse or keyboard is mostly a matter of hooking up the cables.

One thing you might want to do is export your friends email and 'favorites' links (to a disk or cable connect the 2 computers) and then import it - this way they do not lose their saved notes.

Good luck,

CSD
Unread 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM

All the computers I have seen in the last few years are color coded. When I have to move locations at the office I don't even wait for IT to come by. I unplug and plug back up myself. I'm not very computer teckie, but can handle green to green, purple to purple, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks ladies. I can do the color to color thing, but didn't know if all computers were the same. As far as e-mails, etc., this is their first computer and we don't have to worry about transfers.
I'll let you know how it goes. I should get it up and running by the end of this month. Their internet connection won't be available until after the 1st of the year. I did tell her that they need virus software before they go online.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register