When to return to work ??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to return to work ??? When to return to work ???

Unread 12-27-2008, 02:54 PM
When to return to work ???

Hi all.... I am curious when is the appropriate time to return to work ??? I guess it does depend on the type of job and whatnot, but how soon is too soon ?? I had a RALH on 18 Dec, (10 days ago) and my post-op apt isnt till the 6th of Jan, @ 19 days... I am a General Manager at a national pizza chain, and my supervisor is STRONGLY hinting that I should be back.. I do have employees that can cover my shifts. I just hate doing ANYTHING halfway, so I would just as soon NOT go back at all until I'm 100%. Physically, I am ok (I think), if I stand or do anything for longer than 10-15 min, I get REAL tired. I am down to only 2-3 pain meds a day, and I am not driving yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Hi BDEW66. I am a manager too so felt that pressure to return however, I had quite a complicated recovery and my plans to return with 3 weeks didn't happen. (I had LAHS). I know what its like with management and its virtually impossible to "partially" return. I did not even contemplate return to work until I had been completely off pain meds and felt I could at least do a half day of shopping or something similar without feeling totally wrecked the next day. One of the great things with DaVinci and Laparascopic incisions as that you do feel externally a lot better a lot quicker. However, you still have loads of internal healing to do and your body has been very traumatised by the surgery and needs lots of rest to allow the normal healing miracle to occur. My advice is first and foremost listen to your body. Let your staff cover you until you feel you can give your job appropriate attention and ignore the pressure from your boss. Clearly your boss values you and it doesn't hurt to be missed in management - especially when it is unavoidable. In many jobs, once you are back after the surgery, it is much harder to get time off again if you have gone back too early. Happy healing.

Cheers

Alison
Unread 12-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Hi there,

I have a demanding job as well. I'm a photographer. So I'm on my feet quite a bit. I'm 7 weeks post op, and just now starting to feel ready to work again. But my surgeon wants me to wait 3 months.

I wasn't even given the go ahead to drive until 2 weeks post op. Your body hasn't rid itself of all the anesthesia yet. Like Alison mentioned, even with the lap surgery, there is a lot of healing going on inside.

I'd tell your supervisor that you just had major abdominal surgery and it's not a fast recovery. Put your foot down! Make them listen and don't give them any opportunity to bully you into working sooner than you are allowed or able.

We only have one chance to heal correctly!!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2008, 04:05 PM

ooooooooh, no way! Sounds like you have STRESS and alot of "go, go, go". You should really take your time going back!

My job is "almost" stress free and I sit all day, I went back just shy of 2 weeks.
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:10 PM

Hi:
I am just 7 weeks post-op and have not gone back to work. I think and agreed with the other post that you should let your body guide your feelings and your doctor's advise. If you go back to soon and get hurt, the second recovery period might be much longer. Take is easy, your health is much more important.

Good luck and safe recovery.

BVI
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:32 PM

Hi, I'm chief of my dept (audiology) at a teaching hospital and I'm scheduled to return in 6 weeks although I'll go back in 4. I'm tempted to go back on Jan 5th due to internal as well as external pressures, but I'm going to make myself stay home and heal correctly. It's funny because I saw my boss today at the grocery store!! He is a surgeon himself and said "Oh, you'll be back at work in no time!" I told him that I'm just playing "hookey". I figure I have the time off and I only have one chance to let myself heal properly. Lap or abdominal, it's still removal of a major organ and it needs time to heal. I hope you are able to take whatever time you need. Best wishes and pamper yourself!
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Don't let them pressure you, in fact if there are labor laws to prevent them from pressuring you back too soon and from letting you return to work until your Dr. has released you. Concentrate on you, let your supervisor worry about what is happening at work, that's what he/she gets paid the big bucks for. Enjoy your time off, you can't go back until the doc says you can anyway!
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:52 PM

Is your boss a man?
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:41 PM

I wouldn't rush things, your body needs to heal at it's own pace. I had a TAH on the 18th and I can only stand for about 5-10 minutes a few times a day then I need to be in my recliner. I own my own bakery business I am not even going back until February and then I am only going to start off going back slowly. It's not worth having a set back.

Don't let them put pressure on you! Don't answer the phone when they call and don't call into there. Just take care of yourself so when you do go back you can go back 100%.
Unread 12-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Actually no, she is a 55 year old woman, who strangley enough told me on the day of surgery " lucky you"....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register