I read "What 100,000 Women Know" & still more questions (laparoscopic hyst scheduled) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I read "What 100,000 Women Know" & still more questions (laparoscopic hyst scheduled) I read "What 100,000 Women Know" & still more questions (laparoscopic hyst scheduled)

Unread 12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I read "What 100,000 Women Know" & still more questions (laparoscopic hyst scheduled)

Hello everyone....(happy post Holidays)

I have read the book what 100,000 women know.....and I still have more questions that were not explained but were mentioned in the book .....
I also got the book after I have had my pre-op visit so this is why I'm asking a few of theses questions here too.

What if my ovaries "go to sleep" what is the relief? NO HRT please...

by keeping the cervix and my ovaries there is a chance of "mini periods" will this be something I will have a long time? or just the afterness of the surgery?

This is a big one.......What the [email protected]#$ are post-op nightmares?

I'm having a little proiblem with gas now what about after surgery? I'm also having more problems with constipation and I have hemorrids now too. I'm sure it is a combo of stress and noticing that my appitite is lower now too. When I'm stressed I don't eat as much I almost have to force myself to eat a full meal.

I noticed there is a big list of items to pack for the hospital why so much is just an overnight stay?

The swelly belly band.....how may did not have it then found they needed it? Is this an investment and how long to expect to use after surgury?.....I know this sounds cheap but finances are really strained and just thinking of spending anything more than $5.00 these days makes me think twice in any purchase I make. Yet I know if it is better to have I'm sure I can reassue myself I should get one......do the hospitals provide anything like it on discharge?

The book says to suggest a copy of my surgery report why?

drynesss in the vigina there was an advertizment for daily intimate moisture....... is this a bigger problem with keeping the cervix or not keeping the cervix?

Sorry for all the questions that I really could of asked my dr but I had my pre-op before the book came and of course it is the xmas break and until the first of the year I don't want to call yet. I will still call the week of the 5th to get any further questions asked but as we all know it is better to ask someone who has gone through the same.

Not to mention.....my dr is a male and I'm sure he doesn't plan to have a hysto any time soon. I do have to admit he is one of the most caring and straight forward drs I know and has been of great help in calming me down at times like this too.

Thank you for the advice and support surgery scheduled for 1/14/09

Sandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2008, 11:38 AM
I read "What 100,000 Women Know" & still more questions (laparoscopic hyst scheduled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggar0202

I noticed there is a big list of items to pack for the hospital why so much is just an overnight stay?
I'm just two days post-op, but I can address two of your questions.

I have had really strange dreams, ones that have a nightmarish quality to them and wake me up. I figure it is just my subconscious trying to make sense of all the physical effects of surgery as well as anxiety and questions I still have.

I, too, wondered about the list for the hospital. I packed my own robe and slippers, which took up a lot of space. And I didn't even use them. My hospital provided me with little socks with treads on the bottom, and I put a hospital gown on backwards to function as a robe when I left my room. It might be that different hospitals supply different things. Also, if I had been in the hospital more than one night I might have wanted my own things more.

The only things I took that I used are lip balm, my iPod, my shampoo, and a pair of clean underwear for the trip home. The hospital provided soap, toothbrush, and toothpaste. If you're going to be there only overnight, you probably won't need everything on the list. Still, you might want to call the hospital and ask about the specifics to help you decide what to pack. You could also pack the questionable items in a separate bag for someone to bring you later, just in case it turns out that you do need or want them.
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:40 AM

I don't have a lot of answers to your questions, but here are a few from my perspective.

"This is a big one.......What the [email protected]#$ are post-op nightmares?" For a week or so after the surgery, I had some very vivid dreams. Most of the time it was fearless dreaming that seemed very real. Once that I remember, it was a nightmare and I was afraid to go back to sleep. Some say it is due to the anesthesia, some say pain meds. I didn't take pain meds though. And it went away.

"I noticed there is a big list of items to pack for the hospital why so much is just an overnight stay?" I was supposed to stay one night. All I took was something for dry lips, some magazines that didn't require a lot of attention to get through, a tooth brush, comb, slippers, robe and a small pillow to hold against my stomach when I coughed and for the ride home (for between my stomach and the seat belt). I ended up going home the same night and didn't use the magazines and tooth brush. And I didn't really need anything else.

"The swelly belly band.....how may did not have it then found they needed it?" I didn't need one. I had an LSH. I think most that need the bands are those that had a regular abdominal hysterectomy.

"The book says to suggest a copy of my surgery report why?" It is nice to have the surgery report because it lets you know what the doctor found and what he did during the surgery. From mine I found out that no internal stitches were used, everything was cauterized instead. It is also good to request a pathology report in addition to the surgery report. This will tell you what the pathologist saw under microscope. That is how I learned they found adenomyosis as well as the endometriosis that I new was there.

I hope that helps with some of the stuff. I'm sure someone else will come along and answer the others soon.

Good luck on your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2008, 11:59 AM

First of all, I did not have any strange dreams at all. Hope that helps!

I can't answer your questions about ovaries and cervix because everything had to go due to my cancer diagnosis and I was post menopausal at the time of surgery. I have had a little vaginal dryness from time to time and have bought a lubricant at the drugstore that is very soothing. I can't do HRT because I am at high risk for BRCA and I did have a short "replay" of my hot flashes, but they subsided after a few weeks and were not bad at all.

The gas pain after surgery was worse for me than the pain from the surgery itself. Get ready to drink lots of water and to walk around the house as much as possible after surgery, and take the stool softeners if your doctor prescribes one. I had hemmoroids prior to surgery. After surgery, no more hemmoroids!

I was in the hospital overnight and only brought my glasses. I, too, used another hospital gown as a robe and the treaded socks that the hospital provided. I had an old-fashioned huge sanitary pad to wear after surgery and the hospital provided stretchy panties to use with the pad. I did not want to shower in the hospital so I waited until I got home to clean up in my own nice bathroom.

Because I had the laproscopic surgery, my doctor told me to expose my scabs to air as much as possible to help with healing. I wore nightgowns at home and bigger-sized cotton granny panties when I went out. I never bought a swelly belly band, but I did use the cotton light support panties after my scabs came off. The panties are sold here too.

It is a good idea to request a copy of your surgery report. Although you may have to look up many of the words, it helped me to understand what my body experienced.

Best wishes to you.
Unread 12-28-2008, 01:47 PM

I also found the gas pains the worst part of the surgery. I did lots of walking to get things going & make sure you drink a lot even though you don't really want to. I continued to take the stool softeners & that helps a lot. I wanted a copy of everything just to keep in my file incase there are health questions about anything later. I packed a small bag of things for the hospital but I didn't use anything. I was so out of it that I didn't care about normal things. I watched tv until I went home & then I brushed my teeth & hair & all. I had nightmares for about 5 nights. I think it was just the from the trauma that my body went through. I did have the hot flashes & night sweats for about a week too. They go away once your ovaries wake back up. I was not taking many pain meds. It all just gets a little better each day. I found it very helpful to keep a little journal so you can look back & see how things went. & At the end of each day write 5 things you are grateful for. It will help keep you positive. Even if that thing for the day is I was able to pee with no pain today. They took my cervix & I am not having any problem with being dry. The vagina doesn't seem any different. I did prepare little bags of cereal and crackers so I could carry them with me & found that helpful for if I needed something in my tummy at night but didn't feel like getting up. Best wishes.
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:

by keeping the cervix and my ovaries there is a chance of "mini periods" will this be something I will have a long time? or just the afterness of the surgery?

I'm having a little proiblem with gas now what about after surgery? I'm also having more problems with constipation and I have hemorrids now too. I'm sure it is a combo of stress and noticing that my appitite is lower now too. When I'm stressed I don't eat as much I almost have to force myself to eat a full meal.

The swelly belly band.....how may did not have it then found they needed it? Is this an investment and how long to expect to use after surgury?.....I know this sounds cheap but finances are really strained and just thinking of spending anything more than $5.00 these days makes me think twice in any purchase I make. Yet I know if it is better to have I'm sure I can reassue myself I should get one......do the hospitals provide anything like it on discharge?

The book says to suggest a copy of my surgery report why?

drynesss in the vigina there was an advertizment for daily intimate moisture....... is this a bigger problem with keeping the cervix or not keeping the cervix?
Okay, here goes....

If your ovaries to go to sleep, I suppose you can a) use some HRT to help and I've heard it can jump start the ovaries again, or b) look into some herbal stuff (make sure it doesn't interfere with healing. lots of herbs can thin the blood.), or c) tough it out with tips and tricks from here and certain products sold here.

Keeping the cervix poses more of a chance of miniperiods, much moreso than keeping the ovaries. You will have those approximately for about the same amount of time you would have had periods, I suppose. Almost everyone experiences spotting after surgery for a short time.

Sometimes your body just gets so tweaked by having major surgery and anesthesia that it can have a few nightmares postop. Of course, pain meds have been the main culprit for me. Try to stay away from eating before bed and eating sweets especially. It's not so bad, it will pass.

Gas and constipation will happen, among other things. You can use the tips from this site to make it better, but some things you just don't have control over and have to wait for them to pass.

If you read all the recent tips threads about packing, you can find a happy medium on what to pack. I mean, if you don't pack more than the essentials, you'll survive. If you pack too much, then so what?

Hospitals don't give anything like swelly belly band, to my knowledge. I love mine. I got the one that isn't for cooling, just support. It's up to you. You'll survive without it. If you think it's important enough to you, spend the money on it. That's just what it comes down to.

Some hospitals/doctors don't do a pathology report or talk to you about the results. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. SO it's just a headsup for you to look out for, just in case. And the purpose of that is, in case that's what you were asking, is to tell you what was wrong. Did you have cancer, endometriosis, etc. Kind of important.

Dryness in the vagina mainly has to do with if you're not keeping the ovaries. Losing vaginal moisture is part of the symptoms of menopause, surgical or not.
'
Take much care,

Kara
Unread 12-28-2008, 04:12 PM

I had everything removed and haven't needed the swelly belly band at all. I just held my hand against my tummy when I walked for 2 or 3 weeks.

I didn't have any nightmares at all and I haven't had any issues with vaginal dryness so far, infact DH says I am wetter than before :-)

When packing for the castle I took my toilet bag, light reading matter, my iPod, nightdress, dressing gown, knickers, small squishy pillow and clothes to come home in. I could probably taken less but I don't know how to pack light! And I was in there for 4 days :-)

Gas pains and constipation is a real issue post op. I walked as much as I could, slow laps around the room really helped with the gas but it took my sisters tuscan bean soup to get me over the constipation problem a couple of times. Anything spicy increased the gas pains and gave me the opposite problem to constipation - not fun either.
Unread 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone....(happy post Holidays)

Sandi
tiggar0202

I hope I can help with a few of your questions.
  • Most ladies just wait it out if their ovaries go into shock (fall asleep) due to the trauma of surgery. The length of time varies but is usually weeks, rather than months, before they start working again. Not everyone experiences this problem, however.
  • If the cervix and ovaries are kept, then there is a chance of cyclical bleeding ("mini-periods"), but the usual procedure is to cauterise the cervix during surgery which prevents this happening for the majority of ladies. My cervix wasn't cauterised and I experience the tiniest amount of spotting every month. A certain amount of bleeding is part of the normal healing process, anyway, during the initial recovery period.
  • Some ladies complain of post-op nightmares but I'm very happy to report that I didn't experience them.

Sending all good wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 12-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Hey!

"This is a big one.......What the [email protected]#$ are post-op nightmares?"

i didnt have post op nightmares. I did however have a dream that DH and I went swing dancing, and was terribly disappointed that in real life i couldnt go. I guess thats a nightmare.

"I noticed there is a big list of items to pack for the hospital why so much is just an overnight stay? "

I just packed a toothbrush, robe and a hairbrush. Thats all i needed. I left the hosp in what i came in wearing, as it was only an overnighter. if it turns out to be longer, DH can go home and get you something.

"The swelly belly band.....how may did not have it then found they needed it? Is this an investment and how long to expect to use after surgury?....."

I didnt need the band, BUT I won an endofemm in a contest and that bugger is my best friend...its essentially a non-electric heating pad that holds heat all night long ♥

"The book says to suggest a copy of my surgery report why?"

Im going to ask for mine. For re-assurance. My surgery went well, and it almost doesnt feel like i had a hyster. I feel awesome. This way i have it in writing that she took it out...lol

i hope i helped you some. every hyster is different and we will all have different experiences!
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM

i had hot flashes and nights sweats for about 2 weeks after my surgery. most people can get through them and wait for their ovaries to wake up, without hrt.

there is always the risk of mini periods if you keep your cervix and ovaries. you might want to ask your dr if he cauterizes the cervix to lessen the chance. i dont get mini periods.

i had no post op nightmares that i can remember.

i packed my own sleep pants and shirts..i dont like hospital gowns. also my ipod. i wore home what i wore to the hospital.

i didnt use the swelly belly band.

i didnt ask for a copy of my post op report. i dont know why but i have no interest in reading it. my surgery and recovery went really well and i still use my gyn/surgeon. i guess if i left his practice i'd ask for a copy of it or if i was seeking another opinon for a problem.

good luck with your surgery and recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register