Davinci Surgery-5 weeks ago. Hard to tell I had surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > da Vinci Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Davinci Surgery-5 weeks ago. Hard to tell I had surgery! Davinci Surgery-5 weeks ago. Hard to tell I had surgery!

Unread 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Thumbs up - Davinci Surgery-5 weeks ago. Hard to tell I had surgery! Davinci Surgery-5 weeks ago. Hard to tell I had surgery!

I am 40 years old and have had problems since I was 17 or 18. I had one child in 1987 and my tubes tied in 1988.

I started experiencing pain in my lower right side and finally after two trips to the ER, they finally did an ultrasound and it determined I had several cysts. They scheduled me for immediate surgery and removed the cysts. Since then, have had several cysts and fibroids. Alot of the time, I hurt in my lower right side and had VERY irregular periods.

Over the past 20+ years, I have had problems and more problems and they seemed to get worse. When I moved to my current home (approx. 15 years ago), I changed gynocologists and took all my medical records to him and over this period of time, he did absolutely nothing for my experience (why I kept going back, dont know.. I guess I was just used to dealing with everything) Even after they did vaginal ultrasounds and DNCs he never mentioned doing anything about my problems. (I got to the point I didnt think he cared.) In June of this year, I had a period for 6 weeks and went to him, he scheduled me for ultrasounds the next week and told me when I got done at the hospital for me and my husband to come visit with him and we would discuss alternatives. So we did and guess what? He was not there. He was on vacation.. OMG...The next day, I called and had all my records sent to another doctor. He saw me the next day. He talked to me for an hour; told me I would more than likely need a hysterectomy but mentioned all the alternatives. I tried the birth control for a couple of months, but it did not work, either. He called me back in and told me; listen as much as you dont want surgery, you really are not responding to anything that has been done over the past 20 years. We can keep fighting this as long as you want, but, it is up to you. He mentioned a couple of other alternatives we could try, but he told me point blank. Some work on some people some dont. But, the choice it yours. At this point I was just tired.. Tired of Bledding for a month at a time and stopping for a day or two then starting back.. I was just drained; mentally and physically. He told me due to the cysts and fibroids, I was not a candidate for laproscopic hyster... Oh my.. I did not want that at all. My aunt works at another ob/gyn office a few hours from me and I mentioned to him that I heard about the DaVinci and he told me that he did not do that; if he was 20 years younger he would be doing them, too. But he thought I was a candidate; he told me he would call another doctor he knows who does them and set up a visit. Bottom line, 2 days later, I was sitting in the other doctors office. He was very nice, read all of my records, examined me; did biopsy; then called my husband in and we discussed all my problems; he told me I was a candidate and told me alittle about it. I looked at my husband and he smiled at each other and I said lets do it.
I visited with the scheduling nurse and it was scheduled 2 weeks later. They provided me with all the preop stuff at his office and a list of instructions.

I had to do preop bowel program the afternoon before surgery.. It was not that bad.. Just running to the bathroom alot. (I live 1˝ hours from hospital so we stayed at a hotel at the hospital has on campus and we had to be checked in preop at 5:30)
Monday Nov. 24th
5:30 am I arrived at hospital; checked in -- immediately taken to preop.
7:00 am - my husband came in and sat with me
7:15 am - anthes. came in and talked with me
doctor came in and prayed with me and my family
(this was super-- I knew then I was in Gods
hands)
7:30 am- wheeled into surgery; (dont remember much after
that (just a few minutes in there)
10:00 am- awake in recovery and by 10:30 am wheeled
wheeled into my room

I am not lying.. But never could I tell I had surgery. I was just a little bit sore. My only discomforts. (sore throat and the cath- oh.. I hated that.)

I ate a liquid lunch and a full dinner- rested alot. And visited with company.

Tuesday Nov. 25th
The next morning,
figured I would be hurting.. But no.. It was 5 am and I told my husband I was ready to go home.. But they told me I would have to wait for my doctor. So, I did and when he came in at 7:30, he walked in and I told him I was ready to get cath out and to go home. He looked at my chart and told me when I could pee on my own; I could go.. He told me my restrictions (the only restriction was no lifting and no sex for 6 weeks). He told me to do what I felt like doing and he would see me in 6 weeks.

Wednesday:
Took a shower washed and dried my hair; got dressed and rode into town with my husband:

Thursday:
Rode with my husband 1 1˝ hours away to his sisters for Thanksgiving dinner

I went back to work 1 week from the day I had surgery. I have never taken anything for pain. Just ibuprofen and did not need that. I did suffer from insomnia and they called me in a few sleeping pills; which I only took one. I dont seem to sleep as well as normal; but I am not as active yet as I was and I feel rested.

Now here I am-- tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op and I AM FEELING GREAT.

Actually I feel SUPER DUPER GREAT... It is amazing. I told my aunt at Thanksgiving that this was the BEST thing I could have ever done.

I have 4 small incisions and honest to pete... my scars are almost gone.. My husband and I laugh when we try to locate the scars (one you can only find with by feeling the scar tissue). When the scabs feel off a couple of weeks after surgery, they started fading away. This summer when I am tan, I doubt I will even be able to see them at all.

I feel better than I have felt in 10 or more years. THIS IS TRULY AMAZING. Anyone who is a candidate for the DaVinci Surgery should do it. I did not lose any blood and the recovery has been awesome (or I guess I can call it recovery).

All the people I am around cannot believe that I went back to work the first week. They kept thinking I would go home early; but I did not need to. I did get tired a little easier than normal, but I just paced myself and I have felt great..

(Now just waiting to be cleared by the doctor for everything else ).

Hope this helps anyone out there that is scared or in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register