Had Pre-Op Yesterday...It's a GO! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had Pre-Op Yesterday...It's a GO! Had Pre-Op Yesterday...It's a GO!

Unread 12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Had Pre-Op Yesterday...It's a GO!

I had my pre-op yesterday and it went good. It was with a PA and not my GYN but it was still fine. My GYN and I talked at length at my scheduled appointment when we decided on surgery (I was with her for over an hour discussing everything). I'm cleared for surgery as long as I don't get sick between now and Monday. It kinda scares me because both my kids are sick right now!!

He gave me some pain killers because my lower stomache is KILLING me. It's been acting up for 4 days now. It gets to the point that tears will fall because of the pain. I'm still able to work but the belly is driving me crazy. I'm due to get my aunt flow the day of surgery...so maybe my body just feels like kickin my butt one last time. I thought last months was the "last hurrahh", I guess I was wrong..lol

I am sooooo nervous about this surgery but at the same time I know I will be better off in the long run.

I'm not sure what time I have to be there on Monday, they said they would call me tomorrow or Friday to let me know.

I haven't been sleeping good at all the last few days. I can't fall asleep, if I do fall asleep I'm up a couple hours later with thoughts just a spinning around my head. Kinda sucks!!

Anyway, I'm just babbling onto the screen, It always makes me feel better.

Good luck to all the ladies going to the castle!! I'll be there soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM

I can relate to everything you're saying!

My surgery is 2 days after yours, and my stomach has been upset for about a week (longer? I forget). I just started my period yesterday, and my back and hips are angry, cramps into my thighs and shins. None of this is new. It's just gotten old, and I'm still not convinced the surgery will happen and everything will be fixed. Is that ridiculous?

I've been avoiding people because I don't want to get sick. They find you though, don't they? We won't get it!!

I can't sleep either- mind spinning, body hurting, stomach upset. I'm beside myself. I can't get caught up at work either, because I can't think straight. Are you still working?
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Yes, I am still working, I'm here at work now...lol I'm the only one in the office today and on Friday so I find it VERY hard to concentrate while I'm the only one here. And I can't get anything accomplished. Tomorrow I might be able to concentrate a litttle, the boss will be in..haha My mind is just racing...morning, noon and night.

I'm not sure if my stomache is hurting because of nerves or if it's everything that is going on inside is finally "really" catching up with me. Thank gosh he didn't push on my tummy yesterday...I woulda vomitted for sure. That's how bad it hurts lately!!

My left hip has been acting up for about a week now and my lower back is a little ticked at me at the moment...haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Yeah, I'm "at work" now too- ha ha. I'm worthless! On one hand, it's great not to have the usual chaos and pressure because of the holidays. On the other, there is a lot more down time for our brains!

Is your hysterectomy for endo?

Mine is for adeno, but I've had a lot of other abdominal surgeries, so I know that I have adhesions all over my abdomen.

I'm wondering if this is like pregnancy, where you don't realize how yucky you really felt until it's all done? The stuff we can feel is bad enough!
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Yes it's for endo. After 5 years of dealing with endo and trying many different methods to try and make quality of life better for me, we have decided it's time to just take everything out. She (GYN) is hoping to keep the ovaries but if they are full of endo or if they are too scarred she is just going to take them too, I told her I trusted her judgement.

Who knows what else she will find when she gets in there. It's kinda scary not knowing what the final outcome will be. It's planned as a LAVH but she said if there are complications she will have to do a TAH. Then, not knowing if the ovaries will be kept or not. These things just keep running around in my brain...I can't think about anything here at work today. Too much time to think about this stuff, I kinda wish I had some work to do. haha
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM

Hi there Tracy,

I'm so glad to hear that your pre-op appt. went well and that everything is all set to go. I am sorry, however, that you are experiencing not only so much pain but also troubles with anxiety and sleep

I do know I was very nervous in the week or so prior to my surgery as well--I often rely on the use of aromatherapy products and relaxation tapes/CD's. Lavender is particularly relaxing, and I use it in the bath tub as well as spraying some on the pillow at night. My favorite CD's are gentle rain storms and ocean sounds--perhaps you could try listening to something, especially at bedtime, that you particularly enjoy/find relaxing.

Please know that we will all be here for you throughout this journey, and are concerned about not only your physical health but your emotional well-being--please feel free to post anytime you need to talk, and we will all do our best to help...I wish you the absolute best for an uneventful surgery & a speedy recovery--please take care, and please do keep us posted.

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM

Thanks Trish!! I've been using the lavendar pillow spray, I am going to pick up some bath salts tonight after work and try that tonight. My emotions are all over the board lately. I can even cry just from a stupid commercial. It's nuts!!

Anxiety is a problem for me right now and I am still trying to reel in my thoughts and try to keep things under control.

Between the pain and the anxiety I don't know which one is pulling at me the most...lol I've also noticed I'm thirsty all the time now. It's strange!!
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Hi ladies,
I'm scheduled for Jan 5th also but for adenomyosis. I went for my pre-op today and was seen by a nurse and PA at the hospital. They both thought I had disc problems because of the way I was sitting, standing and walking. I can't be straight it just hurts to much.
When the PA started to palpate my abdomen I flinch and my hands when up in a reflex motion. She was startled but listened as I explained my trip to the ER last friday and the excruciating pain that followed the exam. She then only gently laid her hand on my abdomen. I was so embarrassed by my response I didn't realize what I was doing. She said from the prolonged period of pain my insides are all inflamed now. I think I'm due for my period on the 4th or 5th so that doesn't help nor does having to stop the anti-inflammatories.

I have no doubt my body does not want to burden me with the possibility of indecision or second guessing my decisions due to the lack of pain prior to LSH.

Nervousasheck and Sailingrl08 have you tried moist heat. I've been living with it for weeks now it helps. I alternate between front, back and sitting on them. Thank goodness it is cold out!
Unread 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Hi hope. No I haven't tried moist heat. I've been using my heating pad and my heated blanket. I get so cold at night I've been cranking my blanket up to 7 and wrapping a fleece blanket around myself before I get under the covers...a sheet, the heated blanket and two comforters. I'm driving my hubby nuts I think...haha

I'm so glad the PA didn't push on my stomache yesterday. I told him I would vomit for sure if he did. He told me..."I'm not here to cause you pain, I'm here to prolong the surgery or cancel it if needed". I looked at him and said...."You better NOT, I'm not going through this any longer" he then told me he didn't find any reason NOT to have the surgery so it's a go. And he gave me tramadol 50mg for the pain since I can't take anything else.

Moist heat? Is that just a heating pad?
Unread 12-30-2008, 02:58 PM

Thank you for the response (I know it's not my question, technically- so I appreciate both of you)

I've done the aromatherapy- got myself to sleep finally w/peppermint oil. It also helps my nausea.

I haven't tried moist heat, but same question- is it a heating pad? I think I'm driving everyone around me nuts too

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register